Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

No updates for Rand McNally GPS ?

Like many, I have not had a map update for over a year. This recent article may explain why we may never get any more updates.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/tech...got-sold-again
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Even before this, you could buy a new RM RV GPS at a Camping World, get one annual update, and then no more even though they were sold as having "lifetime" maps. I'll never do business with RM again after my experience with how they support after the sale. The RM RV GPS was a good product but the lack of the promised annual updates killed it for me.

I now use the Garmin RV GPS. It costs more but you get what you pay for in terms of true long term map updates and support.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We use the Rand McNally in the dash and the DW uses the Garmin RV760 to cross check. In all the years we've been using them, since 2015, I can't say one is better than the other. They both have their quirks. That's why we still use both. The best plan is to take 5 minutes and look at your route on a real map before you head out, then when the devices give you different routes, you'll have a better idea of which is best for you. Neither are perfect. Both will dump you off on an exit, send you down a surface road for one mile then put you back onto the freeway, I suppose to save 500 feet. We get periodic updates on the RM. I just check before heading out and usually once enroute. Sometimes we get updates, other times not. Easy enough to open the app up and it will tell you if there are updates or not. They usually haven't moved Chicago.

Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

I got so vexed with the RM GPS and with the entire Xite unit that I just pulled it out and threw it in the garage. I already had a Garmin RV 770 that I like so I just put a Kenwood radio in in place of the Xite. The RM and Garmin disagreed often so there’s less stress all around. Added bonus my new Kenwood is the same as the radio in my Jeep so I don’t have to remember how to run multiple units.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I've used the Xcite system for 5 years and about 60,000. miles. I can be frustrating at times. It doesn't always go to where you push the button to go, like NAV, or FAV. But it usually goes to Menu. Sometimes you have to restart it at an awkward time too.

I did find that for putting in a new location, putting in the zip code first gets you where you want to go much faster than starting with the address.

I just decided I wasn't going to get upset about anything when I'm in the coach. It's a great time and why spoil the fun with something minor?
Don't worry, be happy...

Having said that, it would be nice if there's a better system in my new LA...

Bill Bélanger
Old 02-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
I got so vexed with the RM GPS and with the entire Xite unit that I just pulled it out and threw it in the garage. I already had a Garmin RV 770 that I like so I just put a Kenwood radio in in place of the Xite. The RM and Garmin disagreed often so there’s less stress all around. Added bonus my new Kenwood is the same as the radio in my Jeep so I don’t have to remember how to run multiple units.
Pete....when I pulled out my Xite (also aggravated with it) I sold it on the classifieds here for $250.00. Better than sitting in the garage on a shelf.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This is quite odd. I just took the SD card out of the Xite unit in the dash, the other day and put it in the SD slot on my laptop. When I started up RM Dock, there was a message about map updates being available for download. This is the second time in almost than a year, that there has been map updates. We bought our MH in March 2019.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #8

I have had the same message on the Dock software sometimes but there never was an update. There used to be regular updates for roadworks etc. but I haven't seen those for a long time either. Maybe someone decided "lifetime" was 18 months. But with the change of ownership, reduction in workforce, and concentration on truck driver logging systems I don't hold out much hope for things improving for RV drivers. Even goodsam gave up supporting RM on its trip planning software. I am on my 3rd RM GPS but I think a Garmin unit is not too far away now.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
One of my happiest RV days was when my RM 7710 died. I replaced it with a Garmin 770 and love it. RM had too many nav. errors for me.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No updates for Rand McNally GPS ?

We bought an RM7710 about 9 years ago, when we started fulltiming. DW (40 year IT, system architect) never liked it much, thought the screen too crowded, system poorly designed. I got to really dislike it after a couple months, when it tried to run us under an 11ft RR bridge. Put it in a storage tub and a couple of years back I gave it to a friend who had had a 7710 that died on him. He loved it.
Since that bridge I use Google Maps, and DW uses a road atlas for backup/ reference. It’s really all you need- all we need, in any event.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:09 AM   #11

Rand McNally GPS

How do you navigate to an RM update in Xite?
Old 02-03-2021, 02:33 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlawbob View Post
How do you navigate to an RM update in Xite?
On the right hand side of the radio there is a rubber flap. Under that flap is an SD card. It contains the map info. I have a Mac so a windows computer might be different. On my laptop is an app called Rand McNally Dock. You use it to register your machine. When you open the app it will tell you whether there is an update or if your device is up to date. If there's an update, you remove the SD card from the radio, insert it into the SD card slot in your computer and install the update. Then reinstall the card into the radio. HTH

Bill Bélanger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	316838  
Old 02-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #13

Seems like Newmar should offer an option for a CarPlay and/or Android Auto compatible system instead of Xite. Or at least a delete option and tech data on the interface.

Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze I know are CarPlay compatible. If there is a market, I bet it wouldn't be long till RV/trucker-specific features were made available, and/or new phone map software were available.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Like many, I have not had a map update for over a year. This recent article may explain why we may never get any more updates.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/tech...got-sold-again
I read that article twice and didn't see anything that even hinted at dropping map updates. Did I miss something?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps