Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

No Water Fill - Dometic MasterFlush 8700 Series

All of a sudden my toilet (Dometic MasterFlush 8700 Series) will not fill
with water. It does, however, continue to flush, but with no water coming
in. While the troubleshooting guide suggests a number of possibilities, I'm
curious as to the most likely culprit. Perhaps an overload has occurred and
I might try disconnecting power to reset? (I read earlier where someone had pushed the water fill for too long and it "tripped an overload"). I should note that I hear a faint "click" whenever I push the water fill...what does that suggest? Would appreciate any help...quick fix, hopefully, as I'm travelling for a few more days before heading home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
try the battery disconnect switch

They're 12 volt so flip the battery disconnect switch rather than unplugging the unit to try to reset. I have no idea if that will help. Good luck. In the meantime, you can fill a glass with water from the sink and pour it in the toilet each time you need to flush. When I had a problem with one of our toilets, I called Newmar and they patched in Dometic. I don't know if Dometic would be there on the weekend, though.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

lucyh...thanks for the quick response. Your idea is the first I'll try, very
shortly. Just as you did, we're keeping a container with water close by in
the meantime!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

The toilet has 2 modes one will flush and put water in the bowl and the other will flush only and leave only a little water in the bottom neck. If you hold the flush button for about 5 seconds the green light will flash and then release the button. This will switch from one mode to the other.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Thanks much, David. I've now returned home and will definitely give that a try tomorrow. Sure hope it works...don't relish the idea of removing the toilet...been there enough times over the years.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
toilet valve replacement

The toilet valves which let in the fresh water (which is what it sounds like you're having a problem with) can be accessed without completely removing the toilet. Both of ours had to be replaced because something got into them and kept them slightly stuck open. The one in the half bath was very accessible because the toilet is in the corner and you can reach the back and the valve without moving the toilet at all. The one in the master bath which is flat against the wall, was not much of a problem either. I watched the tech replace the valve. He removed the bolts holding the toilet to the floor and was then able to pivot the toilet around enough to get to the valve without fully removing it or unhooking anything other than the faulty valve.
Let us know what happens. Hopefully a reset of the electronics is all you need.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
The toilet has 2 modes one will flush and put water in the bowl and the other will flush only and leave only a little water in the bottom neck. If you hold the flush button for about 5 seconds the green light will flash and then release the button. This will switch from one mode to the other.
I have also been told about a "black box" that is connected to each toilet that has some DIP switch's in it. I found one of the boxes and here are some pictures. Does anybody know what the DIP switch settings are or should be? I think mine are both down or off.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Box 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	142312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Box 2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	142313  

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dip switch one switches between horizontal discharge (DBH) and bottom discharge (DBL). DBL uses somewhat less water and changes whether the bowl fills after flush or not. DIp switch 2 does nothing.

2015 DSDP 4369, 2014 Grand Cherokee, SMI AF1, VMSpc. Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Andy ... I was hoping there was someone out there that knew the answer. Sounds like mine is set correctly and I should just use the flush switch to control the water usage.

I was actually trying to get "more water" to refill the bowl after each flush.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
+1

I had the same thing happen...after reviewing the manual I learned about "Water Saver" mode. It was caused by me holding the flush button down too long. Kinda surprising when you're not expecting the behavior...but it does have a purpose. We generally use the gravity flush toilet in the half bath when we don't have FHU to conserve tank capacity... If all you have is a macerator toilet...the water saver feature might get you thru a rally without having to get pumped.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

Lots of helpful informtion! As the OP of this topic, I've had little time to
try to resolve my dilemma, which is the fill is not working. As has been suggested, the "power off" didn't do the job. My "green light" doesn't
flash when I hold the fill button for 5 secs or longer. Could something have
"happened" should I have held the fill button too long? If so, how do I
correct? Anything else to try, short of removing the hold-down bolts to
access the rear and check the water valve, filters, etc. As mentioned earlier, I hear a faint "click" when I push the fill button, which to me indicates power to the fill switch. Would appreciate any additional thoughts that I might try. Thanks! Larry
Old 10-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a volt meter, check for 12V between the White and Green wires while the fill valve is pushed. It is a timed output, only on for 10 to 20 seconds. If you have 12 V, the problem is a bad fill solenoid, if you don't, the controller is probably defective. If you don't have a meter, connect 12V thru a 10A fuse to the green wire at the fill solenoid. (White wire is ground) and check for water flow. With 12V the valve should be open and the bowl should fill. You can also put your finger on the fill solenoid to feel the click.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8700 MasterFlush toilet-INSTALL.pdf (666.2 KB, 182 views)

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not see any TSB on your toilet but you may want to check out other TSB's and recalls, follow this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #14

My toilet fill dilemma has taken a turn for the "very strange". Before I
could take the time to seriously look into it, I just took a 300 mile 1-way
trip. When I arrived at my destination I discovered that the toilet fill was
working as normal! It continued to function as it should while away, and
when I returned I find it's doing it's thing as intended. Can't begin to
understand just what has happened...my plans, however, are to do nothing and hope it will continue to function as designed. I wanted everyone to
be aware that sometimes "things seem to fix themselves". I appreciate
all your efforts to help. Larry

Tags
dometic, water