Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #15
YC1

I have worked on many modifications over almost 5 years to quiet mine down.

The quick air release section on my grills was a huge source of noise.

The intake area is the other major source.

I have built many mufflers and tried to invent a universal model but have failed so far. However my current model works well enough that I don't have to chase the tv up and down as it cycles on and off.

The basic concept is to block the exit of the plastic cover and make sure the ceiling vents are installed for optimum air flow.

Then the input air is redirected from the vertical area to one section to opposite of where we sit most of the time.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #16

Newmars don't have the big grill with the "quick air release". They are fully ducted, but I remember a former coach that would drive you out from the AC noise if you opened the main air outlet.
Bill, I had heard it was something to do with fan speed. Not sure if the DS has more insulation in the roof which would make a difference too. On the Baystar, I was also told that some of the units were tightened down too much thereby collapsing the isolators. I did pull the lag bolts (4) that mount the unit, re-silicone them, and reinstall (not as tight) which seemed to help.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Newmars don't have the big grill with the "quick air release". They are fully ducted.
Bill, I had heard it was something to do with fan speed. Not sure if the DS has more insulation in the roof which would make a difference too. On the Baystar, I was also told that some of the units were tightened down too much thereby collapsing the isolators. I did pull the lag bolts (4) that mount the unit, re-silicone them, and reinstall (not as tight) which seemed to help.
It can be difficult to determine the source of the noise. In general, since Newmar/Dometic units are bolted from the top with lag bolts, the Dometic torque spec is meaningless. Mostly it's trial and error to get the units bolted evenly without twisting the A/C lower frame/pan.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #18

Forgot to add, the noisier one of the two on the Baystar (rear) had been replaced by North Trail, so I assume they tightened it too much. As mentioned earlier, I also noticed the copper lines in the unit vibrated and caused some noise. Maybe some armor flex (air conditioning suction line foam insulation) would help dampen it.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #19
YC1

If you notice the tall walls along highways you can get the idea of how to redirect or block the noise.

The noise coming from the intake area is huge so blocking that noise from coming straight down and bouncing off the floor was my goal.

I had a pool pump that bugged me so built a rock wall around it and the noise level drop was amazing.

Experimenting with how big of an opening to use and how to build something that was serviceable took many hours and years.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
If you notice the tall walls along highways you can get the idea of how to redirect or block the noise.

The noise coming from the intake area is huge so blocking that noise from coming straight down and bouncing off the floor was my goal.

I had a pool pump that bugged me so built a rock wall around it and the noise level drop was amazing.

Experimenting with how big of an opening to use and how to build something that was serviceable took many hours and years.
Newmar uses a different air distribution system. Staggered round ports running slightly off center from front to rear. Depending on vehicle length, about 12 intake and 12 exhaust. There is no intake or exhaust directly under an A/C. I'm sitting in the living room and counting 5 intake and 5 exhaust between the windshield and mid-hall.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe I'm lucky but the Penguin HPs on my Kountry Star are very quiet.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
If they are original they are likely DuoTherm or Penguin series 1 (not II) units.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The old coach's never had these problems.
One year the AC's put on coach's were all noisey from AC MFG and a batch had to be replaced.
Others changed their AC and didn't use prober seals or tighten to tight and all vibrations traveled through the whole roof area.
There should be a installation booklet with AC for installation.
QT's 1 & 2 have all AC install information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
If they are original they are likely DuoTherm or Penguin series 1 (not II) units.
Correct - Penguin 1 series.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Correct - Penguin 1 series.
jt
Ah...the units that worked for a few years
Old 12-07-2017, 05:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3932844]The old coach's never had these problems.
One year the AC's put on coach's were all noisey from AC MFG and a batch had to be replaced.
Others changed their AC and didn't use prober seals or tighten to tight and all vibrations traveled through the whole roof area.
There should be a installation booklet with AC for installation.
[B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/original-part-1-and-2-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-18509.html
QT's 1 & 2[/URL][/B] have all AC install information.

The Dometic installation manual is quite good for conventional (bottom bolted) units .... not so good for a Newmar.

On a conventional install the unit is bolted from the bottom thru a square plate that sandwiches the inside vinyl trim, insulation, roofing material, rubber gasket, and bottom A/C frame (pan) ... nothing in contact with the metal RV frame.

On a Newmar, the unit is bolted from the top. Four steel lag bolts go thru the A/C bottom frame and into a square metal frame that is welded to the RV frame under the roofing material. The lag bolts (metal) pick up the vibration from the A/C and transmit it to RV frame. It's critical to not overtighten the A/C. Torque specs are worthless due to the use of lag bolts. Compression of the gasket by 1/4" or so is all that is necessary. A fender washer and rubber gasket between the lag bolt and A/C pan helps deaden the sound transmission. A properly tightened unit will have the corner rubber blocks in contact with the roof but not compressed and, if you lift the pan at the corner, the rubber blocks must still contact the roof. Tighten each bolt in an incremental pattern like you were mounting a tire/wheel. Don't put a twist in the pan !! A big blob of silicone sealer between the bolt head and pan keeps the bolt from backing out.

Check the installation annually. Bolts can be retightened slightly but over time the big gasket will compress from the weight of the A/C and should be replaced. The A/C unit should not be continuously retightened.

BTW, if the tech is not familiar with a Newmar I can almost guarantee this will get screwed up ....
Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #27

I agree with the reply above, in our Baystar the noise issue was the compressor vibration transmitted throughout the metal roof structure. Sort of a low droning noise which became more irritating over time. I don't really know if it became worse or we just became more observant. Definitely more noticeable when running the heat pumps too. We eventually resorted to running the heat pumps prior to sleeping and switching to the furnace when we went to bed.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #28

Noisy AC Units

Thanks everyone for your feedback. My front AC unit died over the Christmas holiday while we were visiting relatives in Naples. My inverted died in an unrelated death (separate thread) so the dealer is in the process of ordering replacements for each. I am working with Dometic to upgrade the AC unit from 13,500 BTU to 15,000 BTU assuming the profiles are the same because I don't want to add height to the RV.
Jn1edosp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise