Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Paul T asked are the fans part of the 1200 refrige setup or did I add them or someone else. The large refrige has them and are needed for proper cooling in your box for 34-40 temps. You can also add one of those battery operated fans mid shelf for better cool air curculation within the box. BUT without the FANS on your cooling coils you will have problems.
This LINK shows the fans and a other fan installed by Gary KD who had a problem with a Dometic which had no fans and solved his problems. Someone with a Norcold can add the same fan setup if they have a problem with their 1200 until they get to a shop to fix correctly.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
69RoadRunner - Your freezer will cooldown first, and the fastest, when starting your refrigerator. System is gravity/convection flow so your freezer evaporator is the first stop in the cooling cycle, the fresh food evaporator (refer) is the next stop and gets what left in the heat transfer process. From your post it looks like your system took about 8-10 hours to cool down both the freezer and refrigerator which is reasonable. As others have mentioned you should start your system approx 24 hours before you are ready to load with foods.

If you are going to do a lot of boondocking, anything you can do to increase the airflow to the back of your unit, especially in extremely hot weather, will help your unit keep your food cool. A simple 12VDC computer muffin fan mounted to a board that can be orientated in back (outside) area of your refer to move air upwards over the absorber/evaporator/condenser coils/fins helps a lot. Power can be obtained by using alligator clips to the 12VDC power supply to your refer. Simply parking your coach so the side that the refer is on is in the afternoon shade makes a real difference. Outside air flow across the absorber/evaporator/condenser coils/fins is 100% convection flow so the hotter the outside air temp is the less convection flow you get.

If you need some pictures of what I've done, send me a private and I will provide.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:As others have mentioned you should start your system approx 24 hours before you are ready to load with foods.
Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I turned mine on for my trip next week and it took 4 days to get cold....

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Paul T asked are the fans part of the 1200 refrige setup or did I add them or someone else. The large refrige has them and are needed for proper cooling in your box for 34-40 temps. You can also add one of those battery operated fans mid shelf for better cool air curculation within the box. BUT without the FANS on your cooling coils you will have problems.
This LINK shows the fans and a other fan installed by Gary KD who had a problem with a Dometic which had no fans and solved his problems. Someone with a Norcold can add the same fan setup if they have a problem with their 1200 until they get to a shop to fix correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On one of the episodes of RV Roadtrips, they installed a solar powered fan that I thought was pretty slick.

I've been here at Yogi's Camp Luray since Monday. On electric, the refrigerator stays around 36-37 and the freezer at 7-11. When I open the refrigerator, it gets up to 42 if it is frequently opened at meal time.

The freezer doesn't keep ice cream cold enough. A half gallon I had in there was very soft when we ate it.

Thanks for all the advice!
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #19

Remember, a gas absorption refer has a mere fraction of the cooling capacity of a compressor model. That is, where your residential compressor refer will recover (cool back down) from every door opening in 5-10 mins or so, the gas models will take up to an hour for each door opening to recover. Initial empty cool down will take 24 hours easily. Warm stuff or unfrozen stuff may take DAYS to cool down where in a compressor model it'll only take hours.

This is a simple fact of physics between gas absorbtion and compressor refrigeration.

So, police the number and duration of door openings. Always pre-cool or pre-freeze foods. That initial grocery stock-up if done all at once will almost never cool down, stock in stages or pre-cool the load at home first. Don't stuff and block the fins inside. Frankly, you can add all the external chimney cooling aids you want, it's the fundamental cooling physics (a.k.a. heat capacity) that is the problem.

Also note that cooling capacity does not limit temperature. You should be able to pull 0 in the freezer and 33 in the refer on a mid-setting once everything in there has cooled and is left alone. Stuffing the unit full and constant door opening will never allow it to get down in temp. There simply is not enough cooling capacity to overcome this. Cranking down the setting will not increase cooling capacity either.

Go slow, let it cool, and it'll work perfectly. Yes, there are "residential habits" that must be overcome.