Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

My icemaker seems to put too much water in the tray. That causes the rotating paddles to freeze up and not kick out the frozen cubes.

Is there a water level adjustmentor is it a problem with the solenoid or the heater element?

I have had it out of the freezer and it works through the 1st cycle after reinstalling. Even though the unit is level some of the water runs out of the end of the tray.

HELP!
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #2

My icemaker seems to put too much water in the tray. That causes the rotating paddles to freeze up and not kick out the frozen cubes.

Is there a water level adjustmentor is it a problem with the solenoid or the heater element?

I have had it out of the freezer and it works through the 1st cycle after reinstalling. Even though the unit is level some of the water runs out of the end of the tray.

HELP!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ed,

It definitely sounds like a problem with the fill setting on your ice maker. If you have a Norcold 4-door, I KNOW that it's adjustable, as I just adjusted mine yesterday. Was having a problem with the ice cubes coming out as one solid block of 8... and several times heard the ejector bars straining, struggling, groaning trying to get the ice cubes out.

There's a really good service manual for the Norcold Ice Maker on the Bryant RV site. It's a PDF document (5.5MB... so be sure you aren't on a bandwidth-restricted connection) you can download here. The water fill adjustment instructions are on page 62.

I think the ice makers in all of the refrigerators are the same... so even if you don't have a Norcold, these instructions may apply. If not, check out the listing of available service manuals at Bryant RV's site and see if they have one for your fridge.

Sounds like an adjustment should work for you.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #4

John,

Thanks for your great info. It seems I was getting some conflicting info from various sources.

I had first called Norcold and the rep told me there was no adjustment on the water fill. "Buy a new unit".

A service guy told me there was an adjustment but would not tell me where.

A parts guy at a Newmar dealership told me that there was no adjustment but he would order me a new unit for $187 plus shipping.

PPL in Houston would get me a new unit for $144.

I had downloaded the parts list for the ice maker but could not find the service manual.

I appreciate your help and willingness to share the info. The ice maker is cooking again.

Ed
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ed,

No problem. Glad to be of help. If there's one thing these forums are good for (and there's LOADS if things they're good for) it's cutting through the crap you'll hear from service people all over the place. The RV industry seems to be rife with people who will give you an answer... whether they know the answer or not!

Glad to hear that your ice maker is back up and running. If, in the future, you DO need a replacement, check at a normal house-hold appliance repair place first (maybe even Lowe's or Home Depot). Supposedly, the ice-maker unit in the Norcold is the exact same one used in house-hold fridges. Probably a lot cheaper, too!

Have a nice cold drink, with plenty of ice, and enjoy!