Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
North Trail - Ft. Myers Florida ???

So we are thinking about a new motorhome &
if I order it here in Florida, I am between ordering from Lazydays in Tampa or North Trails in Fort Myers. I know North Trails is a large Newmar dealer so I figure the best feedback about North Trails will come from the Newmar owners.

I have heard lots about Lazydays but I know vey little about North Trails except for a very unhappy customer on Yelp (not that Yelp would keep me from doing business with North Trails).

Anything you can share with me about both North Trails or Lazydays would be great.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
LD doesn't sell newmar.

North Trails has a big non refundable deposit on an ordered rig as does Independence in Orlando.

TampaRVOne is new newmar dealer, normal deposit.

If you don't mind going up the east coast a bit I have a dealer that can get a 28% off msrp deal
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

StuartS,,

Having dealt with both Lazy days and North Trails, I think that the biggest factor will be the salesman that you are dealing with.

We spent 4 weekends at lazy days and were very disappointed with the information received and the fact that the salesmans famous words were that "I'll have to check with the manager". The deal breaker for us was the final "office" negotiations" which I regard as high pressure, take it or leave it, this is the final price. (I actually had a 20K better price on the same unit form another dealer).

For us, North Trails was the opposite. The saleman gave us space to roam, was close enough to answer questions, and had the ability to negotiate the final pricing without having to run back and forth to the office, except to bring us a nice cold bottle of water. After 3 weekends of window shopping, and receiving a phone call from Matt Miller (Newmar president), we placed a 5K refundable phone order and another 5K when we signed the contract.

We selected North Trails for multiple reasons. Newmar president called us directly; 2 other dealers said they could not match the price; and we were allowed to select custom exterior paint for our unit.

Good luck with your selection and if your not happy with the salesman, ask for someone else. Management should know who is not performing.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

Tampa rvone is practically across the street ,I4, from lazydays and they are newmar dealers. They deal in volume sales. If you see Matt one of the owners he is very friendly and deals. Money talks and its your money. Competition is great.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi StuartS,
I purchased my coach at North Trail (no s). I have also had service work done there. While nobody is perfect, North Trail comes as close as a human can come to perfect. See Diesel Dan for the best Newmar sales person on the planet. Their service department is as good as or better than Newmar factory service.

One must look at the total package to determine where to purchase. While price is a major factor, the ability to get the coach serviced by RVIA Certified techs in a modern shop by people who know the coach, have the coach history and take a leadership position with coach service contracts may also be important.

During the purchase process, everything is negotiable. My purchase was for cash and no trade. I received about 33+% off MSRP (including dealer installed options). As I have posted in many other threads, the way to get the best price is to sign a sales agreement written for the price you are willing to pay and includes all that you are willing to buy. This includes an earnest money deposit to accompany the sales contract. It is very difficult for a dealer to turn down cash that is laying in front of him (or her).

Anything negotiated before the contract is signed is just talk. There is no incentive for a dealer to provide the best price unless it is on a signed sales contract.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Not a Newmar owner but purchased my RV from them.

If you are interested in their service work, both in and out of warranty, it is excellent.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I think service is a secondary issue, first is buying at a good price and terms & amount of deposit.

I can buy anywhere, and get service anyplace of my choosing just like a car.

NT was not near the best price but as I said before their terms in demanding a non refundable deposit was deal breaker for me aside from the high amount.

Gary I see your sig says 2005, this is the way they operate today
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jimbo2013,
Every person and deal is different. I provide the information based on my personal experience. I use NT for service and keep in touch with Diesel Dan. I have no doubt, when I purchase my next coach, my experience may be different than your experience.

I do not waste the dealer or my time in negotiations. I make sure I know what I want (in excrutiating detail). Those I offer to spend $s with get one chance to approve a signed sales contract at my price. What you consider unacceptable may be acceptable to me (and others).

If the total package offered by NT is not of value to you, as it is to me, another dealer may be a better choice.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

We just went through this and ordered from TampaRV. I got bids from 5 dealers around the South and the prices ended up very close so other issues come in to the equation. As has been said, LazyDays is not a Newmar dealer so you are limited to what they have in stock. Check out Dick Gore's and Independence. Some dealers do not sell the high end products so that may limit your choice.

As regards servicing, it is not the same as cars. RV dealers are not required by their agency contract to service motorhomes bought at another dealer, as is the case with car franchises. Most will accept warranty work but will put you at the back of the queue. I am actually closer to the factory than the dealer so I intend to take it back there if there are any major issues.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

One Call does it all !

This guy will answer any questions you will have About Newmar
We pick up our 2015 DutchStar in 2 weeks
Steve has been Great
If he lived closer he would be working for my company

Steve Rowin
North Trail RV Center
Fort Myers , Florida
866-699-2592
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Let me clarify something here....
I came to the Newmar Owners Forum to ask the question about North Trails because I am not familiar with them. I am ordering a competitors product not a Newmar - (LOOK THE ESSEX IS MY 1st CHOICE but not looking to spend that kind of money). I know the pros & cons as I have been looking hard at both manufactures. There are things I do & don't like about both coaches.

But knowing that North Trails is the largest Newmar dealer, I thought this would be the best place to get feedback on North Trails.

BTW: Dan is my salesman at North Trails & I know his reputation. I have been talking to him for sometime now. It's the company itself I am not familiar with.

I have PM with a couple of you at this point & even had a couple phone conversations - hearing good things about the company that I didn't know a few hours ago. I even was told about some very recent service department personnel changes that has made the service experience night & day.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #12

I agree with what was said about diesel dan at North Trail. Best price by far and outstanding service through the sale.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #13

My experience with North Trails was I called them about a 2014 Dutch Star that they had on order that would work for us and we got a quote that I thought was reasonable and we said ok. The salesman ( I don't remember his name) said that he had to talk to the boss. When he came back on the like the price on the one on order had gone up $20,000 but if I wanted to wait and order one they would honor the agreed on price. That was our last conversation. We bought one with the same deal in Minnesota at a much better price.
hwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi StuartS,
Congratulations on making your decision and good luck with your new coach. FYI, the name of the company is North Trail RV Center. There is no trails in North Trail.

Tags
florida