Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Not Happy Camper!

Just got home from Nappanee for several repair items on my 2019 DS. My major problem was the kitchen slide quit working. We used the new MH for 5 weeks with 2 slides. They replace the front motor and all was well coming home. Been home 3 weeks and now the kitchen slide has quit again. This time it is the rear part of the slide that has quit. Will be calling Mon. morning to see how they will handle this. We live in a rural area that is 5 hours from the nearest dealer that will work on it.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your issues. I'm on my second Newmar and likely my last. My 2019 Ventana has had nothing but one problem after another since new in December. I too have to drive a great distance for authorized warranty service so I understand your pain. Newmar has some real problems with quality in both their workmanship and selected vendors. It's not your daddy's Newmar anymore.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC21 View Post
Sorry to hear of your issues. I'm on my second Newmar and likely my last. My 2019 Ventana has had nothing but one problem after another since new in December. I too have to drive a great distance for authorized warranty service so I understand your pain. Newmar has some real problems with quality in both their workmanship and selected vendors. It's not your daddy's Newmar anymore.
It would be helpful if you could describe the problems you mentioned. Thank you.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #4

We have found Newmar being OK with either going to a Non-Newmar dealer for warranty work or even having a mobile RV repair person come to our location. Newmar has many Non-Newmar approved repair business that they can work with you.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Not my experience. Newmar has repeatedly insisted that the unit be taken to a Newmar service center ( dealer ) for warranty work. They even refused to let NIRV in Phoenix do warranty work even though NIRV is a Newmar dealer in three other states and was willing to do the work
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC21 View Post
I'm on my first and likely last Newmar for all the same reasons you mention.

Traxless,
I really don't see how it would be helpful to list all the Newmar problems we've had on this forum. Suffice it to say this is my 9th motorhome and the least reliable and most troublesome of all I've ever owned.

Newmar's slide system design is an antique and very unreliable. A simple search of this forum is all you need to figure that out.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

My DS is out of warranty and I still have great support. Recent experience was at a non Newmar dealer, Newmar covered all the cost.
Had a small paint flaw on my rear cap. Newmar insisted that the entire cap was repainted. I could go on with my opposite experiences with service.
Sorry to hear of unhappy experiences. One thing I will boast about is my dealer, Tom Lindstrom. One text message and problems get addressed quickly.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
My DS is out of warranty and I still have great support. Recent experience was at a non Newmar dealer, Newmar covered all the cost.
Had a small paint flaw on my rear cap. Newmar insisted that the entire cap was repainted. I could go on with my opposite experiences with service.
Sorry to hear of unhappy experiences. One thing I will boast about is my dealer, Tom Lindstrom. One text message and problems get addressed quickly.
I get great support from Newmar. The problem is with the amount of support a Newmar needs.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

This could go back and forth forever. The fact is “all” coaches have some issue or another. No coach is free from an occasional problem. I noticed you made a comment about seeing all the issues with Newmar after searching this site. Did you not do any research prior to buying? When I did, I chose Newmar for both of my coaches. I haven’t had any issues with either coach. Hopefully your issues will be resolved to your satisfaction. If not, you have many choices when it comes to your next coach.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bill and Alice, Sorry to hear of your troubles. There is nothing more perplexing than to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for your dream vehicle only to experience one problem after another with each one compounding the feeling of helplessness. Been there done that.
I have to say that after 40 plus years rving these newer units seem to be experiencing more problems each year; 'course a major part has to be all the electrical units and additional moving parts. Add to this the parts they buy to install that lack the quality we expect for the price we pay.
It is extremely exasperating when it seems like the company/dealer aren't responsive yet they did fix the problem with the slide only to have you experience the other end of it developing problems. Would've been great if they would have replaced both motors when it was in but that is not how things work. We know that but it doesn't make us feel any better.
Based on past posts on iRV2 you are not alone with problems but when compared to the vast number of owners the percentage of multiple problems in a single unit is relatively small. I know; I know this doesn't lessen your, or my frustration of the fact that the rig is down and I can't be on the road, but, Hey, they fixed it last time so they'll get it done again.
My recommendation: Relax, plan a vacation trip to the factory and get everything fixed. Take a short trip up through MI and work it out so you can swing right back into the factory if anything else goes wrong before going home again. Hopefully you can - mine took 8 years to correct the underlying cause of a ground fault.
Wish you the best - Richard
Old 06-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #11

"mine took 8 years to correct the underlying cause of a ground fault"... are you serious about that?

From reading some of the posts on here about Newmar it does seem their relatively recent choice of vendors (Since Dad stepped down) is causing mayhem for the customer. Take the LED lights for example...oh sure they will give you replacements but that's not the point because it apparently just happens again.

Maybe the tariffs on that cheap stuff from China will cause them to deal with American made products that are not otherwise outsourced to China and then sent back here.

Hopefully Newmar will become aware of the apparent downward build and vendor issues rising since they started increased productions. (Quantity often affects quality). After doing months of research Newmar is still my pick and ny the time I order my 2021 Bay Star in April 2020 perhaps these issues will be addressed

There is a recent youtuber that calls out Newmar for some of the issues and poor quality control complained about here.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Just got home from Nappanee for several repair items on my 2019 DS. My major problem was the kitchen slide quit working. We used the new MH for 5 weeks with 2 slides. They replace the front motor and all was well coming home. Been home 3 weeks and now the kitchen slide has quit again. This time it is the rear part of the slide that has quit. Will be calling Mon. morning to see how they will handle this. We live in a rural area that is 5 hours from the nearest dealer that will work on it.
Its good to have these type venting threads once in a while so everyone can voice their opinions and keep the discussion civil.
It does not solve the OP's problem though.
You have owned some pretty good MH's and have you ever done any repairs on them or always gone to a dealer?
Have you looked into your problem with the kitchen slide and checked to see if the whole drive shaft is turning when motor operates.
When they replaced the motor they may not have tighten the torque bushings tight enough so shaft on end not performing correctly is slipping.
This sticky link has many slide problems that people have had the 15 years I have been here and I will do a Newmar search for the kitchen slide problem to see what could be your problem.
The slide has only one motor with a shaft that turns and connected by torque bushings and possibly chain driven to slide in or out.
You should call Newmar and tell them what has happened after they performed the work and request one of their Mobile Tech's to fix their problem.
Was the slide working correctly after you left the factory, let them know when it stop performing correctly.
Let us know how you made out one way or another.

I will say after owning Newmars I have had some pretty good problems in my adventures on the road and they were resolved by Newmar or myself to my satisfaction.
You may see many problems in my threads and stickies but there are many happy owners that some how never had a dark cloud over their heads, like you and I.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

WHOOPS WRONG video it is this one

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its great for this person to have a job provided by Newmar pulling apart the problems with what ever coach he may have at hand, winnebago, Thor or any other MFG.
We have them on this forum two I can think of are Idelup and Torbopilot who went through their new NEW AIRES in 2018 when the new coach was first sold that year.
I was impressed as to how they really pulled apart their new coachs pointing out every non quality problem if your interested in a NEW AIRE for 2020 I think you can thank these two owners because later 2018 -19 owners have been pretty quite of late.
Here is their two links that will fill you in about the NEW AIRE.

Idelup 2018 New Aire ----- Torbopilot 2018 New Aire
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote