Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Not so Golden

Here are examples of the power pedestals at Bolsa Chica State Beach just north of Huntington Beach. The first photo shows that the receptacles had no cover at all, exposing them completely to the ocean moisture. The second shows the obvious. I don't want to start a discussion about California's management of all its revenues. Just wanted to share my disgust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5388.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	583.4 KB
ID:	272222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5389.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	272223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	272224  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #2

I bet the local TV stations and newspaper would be interested in those pics. I would not connect my coach to those boxes and I certainly would not pay for electricity that is not safe to use.
I would also write reviews with pics on ParkAdvisor, RVParky and any other site that RVers rely on in choosing a campground.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

It made me appreciative of our Progressive EMS. I held my breath when I flipped the breaker on. Oh yes, that spot was $65 @ day and it is quite difficult to find an open date. There are very few state parks in the state, let alone on the coast that have RV spots with hookups (never sewer).
Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I bet the local TV stations and newspaper would be interested in those pics. I would not connect my coach to those boxes and I certainly would not pay for electricity that is not safe to use.
I would also write reviews with pics on ParkAdvisor, RVParky and any other site that RVers rely on in choosing a campground.
People are living on the streets in tents. If they don't report on that, why would the local TV report on rusty power posts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

I will certainly not defend the California State Parks System for the condition of those posts, but I will offer a possible explanation.

It appears that all three posts may have has something attached to the top that has since been removed, possibly a light. The rust and open holes mark the position of the removed fixtures. I would guess that all wiring within the post is continuous and sheathed or in conduit that terminates in the attached box on the front of the post. I would also guess that water inside the post would not pose a danger nor compromise the electrical connections within the weatherproof box.

Ugly? Yes. Dangerous or compromised? I don't believe so. But when in doubt, move on.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #6

Okay I'll move on too. There were never lights on these pedestals. It is pure and simple neglect. Open receptacles with no cover? Not even up to CA's strict building codes for an outside receptacle. So if someone has their reservation and that is their spot, do they just move on too? I doubt very much that you would let your RV receptacle at your home disintegrate to this extent and just hope that everything would be okay for the safety of your coach.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It's sad to see the need for upgrade and replacement in state parks.

Is California still suffering from financial problems?

We were along the coast on the PCH and a number of the state parks were mothballed because of lack of money we were told.

Maybe the camping fees are not going to the specific parks or ?

I hope things get better as we do plan to return in the future.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

California ranks 42nd among the 50 US states.
Pretty close to the bottom, being the 5th largest economy.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication...ion-california
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
People are living on the streets in tents. If they don't report on that, why would the local TV report on rusty power posts.
Who says they don't report on that? Local Denver stations report on the homeless situation several times a day.
I have several years experience dealing with the media primarily in San Diego county so I learned pretty well what they are interested in reporting and under what circumstances.
It helps a great deal for the person trying to sell a story to put an effort in to making the story sound interesting. Reporters are always up against a deadline so the more of the ground work you can do for them and the more facts and corroborating evidence you can give them the better your chances of getting a story favorable to your viewpoint on the air or in print.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
It's sad to see the need for upgrade and replacement in state parks.

Is California still suffering from financial problems?

We were along the coast on the PCH and a number of the state parks were mothballed because of lack of money we were told.

Maybe the camping fees are not going to the specific parks or ?

I hope things get better as we do plan to return in the future.

Happy Glamping.
https://lao.ca.gov/Publications/Report/3896 Nope, they say they have quite a bit of money built up. Not that reason for this. I do know that there have not been any camping state parks built in CA since the early 1970s.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Earl II did you report it to the campground office and, if so, what was their reply?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Earl II did you report it to the campground office and, if so, what was their reply?
There were camp hosts on both ends of this pretty small RV area. Don't know if you have ever been to this one but it is pretty small. These camp hosts stay at this RV area for months at a time. It was almost this bad last year. Answering your question directly- no, I did not. The only improvement that was done since last year was a new fence erected to replace the falling apart chain link between the camp area and the Pacific Coast Highway walking/biking trail.
Just to add, I have emailed the CA state parks in the past and asked direct questions regarding the issue of its RV camp areas. The reply I got was to read their web site.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #13

As a (until last year) lifelong CA resident, I can only say:

It’s California, Babee!

We are expecting to welcome out-of-state visitors this summer and are fearful of showing them the sad condition of our state. Infrastructure of all types is deteriorating.
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
These camp hosts stay at this RV area for months at a time.
It's unfortunate you didn't talk to the camp hosts. Obviously, they had no problems and perhaps they could have offered answers as to if anyone ever had problems.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote