Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
notebook gps and trip planner

I have got the dash mounted GPS on our soon-to-be-built DSDP but heard it is not for RV. I like the Rand McNally/GoodSam tripmaker but they don't seem to be interactive with a notebook based GPS. Our plan was for the DW co-pilot to be able to sit there with her Surface Pro and guide us to the RV friendly roads and locations.....as we go along. I don't want to invest in another stand alone GPS system.
Has anyone solved this issue like downloading the trip into the notebook for another program?? Help and advice is appreciated.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CoPilot app on a tablet. The maps are stored locally on the tabket so no cellular connection needed. I have a Android 8" tablet with it loaded up.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am using a "laptop" with WIN 10 and copilot doesn't seem to be designed for that only Android or Apple devices and WIN phones.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

There is a version of CoPilot Live 8 for Windows laptops.

I have been using CoPilot since 2003. Most of the time we used the Truck version because our Volvo and Travel Supreme were both 13'3" high and one of the main features of CoPilot is its height road database. Now with the Bounder, we use the car version which has RV options like we set the height at 13'
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYRV View Post
I have got the dash mounted GPS on our soon-to-be-built DSDP but heard it is not for RV. I like the Rand McNally/GoodSam tripmaker but they don't seem to be interactive with a notebook based GPS. Our plan was for the DW co-pilot to be able to sit there with her Surface Pro and guide us to the RV friendly roads and locations.....as we go along. I don't want to invest in another stand alone GPS system.
Has anyone solved this issue like downloading the trip into the notebook for another program?? Help and advice is appreciated.
Bill
Your plan, as stated, is a recipe for a quick divorce! Set the coach GPS to a "God's eye" view, and purchase a Garmin RV-760, Dezl-760 or a Dezl Cam GPS, save your marriage and you can both enjoy the drive...
Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
There is a version of CoPilot Live 8 for Windows laptops.

I have been using CoPilot since 2003. Most of the time we used the Truck version because our Volvo and Travel Supreme were both 13'3" high and one of the main features of CoPilot is its height road database. Now with the Bounder, we use the car version which has RV options like we set the height at 13'
They haven't got it yet for WIN 10 that is on the Surface Pro 4. Will keep an eye on them thanks.
Bill
Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
CoPilot app on a tablet. The maps are stored locally on the tabket so no cellular connection needed. I have a Android 8" tablet with it loaded up.
Same here, but I use a 10.1" tablet (I had that already). I also use some powered computer speakers that I have attached with some hook and loop tape to the dash and connected to the tablet. This way I can hear what the nice lady with the British accent inside my table is telling me.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #8

Quote:
They haven't got it yet for WIN 10 that is on the Surface Pro 4. Will keep an eye on them thanks
I am currently running CoPilot Live 8 on a laptop with Windows 10. Here is the deal. The Car version of CoPilot has gone to end of development and that is why official Windows 10 certification is not being done. The only issue I have encountered is the automatic update doesn't work but since there will be no updates, that doesn't matter.

The Truck version will continue in development so changing to Truck version is one option but I just got this copy of Car version so I will run it for a couple of years.

I prefer a PC version because we use two monitors, one for each of us. I haven't found a successful way to have dual Android monitors. In a couple of years, there might be a way for dual Android monitors. I am adverse to two separate Android tablets because I like to insure that the routes in both displays are identical.

Also with two Android tablets, I would need to use two GPS radios as I do not trust the integrated GPS function of tablets. Some may have non-AGPS (Assisted GPS that requires Cell towers) but the antenna is rather small. We have been places, like the center of Nevada with zero bars on the cellphone. I trust an external GPS radio more.

As a comparison, we have run the Android CoPilot on my Note II and in some ways, I prefer the Android display.

The dual display need is a reason why the Garmins with heights road databases aren't in our consideration. We won't go without a GPS checking for height problems ahead so CoPilot is our solution.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post

Also with two Android tablets, I would need to use two GPS radios as I do not trust the integrated GPS function of tablets. Some may have non-AGPS (Assisted GPS that requires Cell towers) but the antenna is rather small. We have been places, like the center of Nevada with zero bars on the cellphone. I trust an external GPS radio more.
I ran Copilot on my Samsung tablet, my TomTOM and my
Street and Trips on a widows laptop with a separate GPS receiver in parallel to each other on a 4k mile trip (I wanted to test how good CoPilot is). They all performed well and pretty equal to each other, and all three had my vehicle at the same spot at all times.

I prefer CoPilot because I can operate it on a tablet. I made a stand for the tablet and have that sitting on my dash like a normal car GPS, with the advantage of a way larger display that I can see from the drivers seat, and the possibility to have it selecting routes that are better for an RV.

Tags
gps