Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Nova awning power

Where does Newmar wire these awnings to in the panel? I've lost power to one of the awnings, so these awnings must be on two circuits. Because they operate on 120V, there should be a circuit breaker someplace that's tripped, one would think? The other possibility is a GFCI is tripped...but where?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know your model or year, but I don't think it's 120v. More likely 12v and you may have a blown fuse.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
This may sound stupid but are the channels on (numbers circled) on control panel?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slabman

Funny you should ask this question. I recently asked Jeff Johnson at Newmar CS the same thing. I was told the electrical for our Nova awnings is 120v, and located in the aft basement wall just forward of the Water Tanks. There's an outlet on this wall that has several plugs and I'm betting one of the plugs has fallen off???

Additionally, these outlets are GFI protected using the mid bath circuit.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I noticed the plugs in this compartment, that is a good start, but also check the channels. Now if the awnings are 120V are the led lights in awning 12V or 120V?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
I noticed the plugs in this compartment, that is a good start, but also check the channels. Now if the awnings are 120V are the led lights in awning 12V or 120V?
Slabman is correct, the Nova awnings are 120 volts and the controls and power are mounted on the basement wall just forward of the holding tanks on the door side of the coach.

The awning LED's are 12 volts.

There are two junction boxes on the roof where the 120 volt connections are made between the feed from the basement and the awnings. They are prone to water intrusion and could cause a breaker to trip. Something to check every few months.

Scott
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
So here's what I found. A 120 v power plug just forward of the tanks is switched by the ignition ( key on, no juice...) this 120 v source is fed through the gfci circuit in the half bath. The cords from this plug feed into each of the awning controllers, which switch current along one of two wires leading to the roof..( J box, as mentioned by Swag). This controls the in/ out function of the awning. Strangely, I had an interrupted circuit along this plugged in power cord to the controller, which made the awning inoperable. I ended up installing a new wiring cord and it's back in operation.

Strange, but a ower cord that no longer passes power in a 2 yr old coach? Sometimes a problem turns out to be the simplest thing....
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post

Strange, but a ower cord that no longer passes power in a 2 yr old coach? Sometimes a problem turns out to be the simplest thing....
That is an odd failure but glad you found it and are back in business. Thanks for letting us know what you found.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I have a pair of plastic storage bins in this compartment and I have regularly hit these plugs moving things in and out. To the point that the prongs of the plugs are quite distorted and I'm guessing I will also have to replace the power cords.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #10

Awning power

I too had a similar issue in our 07 Essex. The GFI above the kitchen counter was tripped after pulling out the toaster plug. Who new having breakfast could cause a commotion before we figured that out

Bret
BTL550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power