RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Lightbulb Now considering Bay Star 3403... thoughts?

Howdy (again),

Well, if you've been following, you know I've been all over the place - VTDP 3709, VLDP 4002/4037, and most recently a Canyon Star CSCA 3710 (or 3755 but no 2017 ).

Then I discovered the Bay Star BSCA 3403! This could be a gem in disguise! Pros - Bath & 1/2 (must have for DW), <35' for SPs, Cons - we lose W/D, Queen only, no Fiberglass roof option, low NCC/Towing. on 22K chassis (for 2016 at least - hope 2017 is 24-26K).

For our use - quick getaway weekend camping trips and 1-2 week max adventures with our 10 year old during summer/school breaks, I'm thinking this could be perfect (and very affordable).

I would love to hear from any of you that have one or can compare it to the CSCA line. This would be our first RV and "seems" to me to open the door to state parks and more for us. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Daryl in Woodstock (GA, not the famous one)

DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

Additional questions - would it be reasonable to expect that Newmar would agree to these requests:

1) Swap out their TV(s) for a 4K SUHD TV (for use as a computer monitor) or leave out the TV but still install the VESA mount (does it use a VESA mount)? Also, does the mount come out and swivel or is it fixed?

2) A heavier chassis (e.g. 24K instead of 22K) and/or transmission if it's not already standard on 2017?

3) A Drop down bed over the driver/passenger area?

4) A Euro-Booth with extending table and 2 folding chairs?

By request, I mean request with a reasonable chance of their accepting - of course I can request "anything!"

Also, has anyone heard what might be different for the 2017 model year for this model (BSCA 3403)?

I'm getting kind of excited about this one! (actually, I've been excited about almost every make/model I've seriously considered for the last 9 months)

Daryl

DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We started by looking at the Bay Stars. At the time, both had bunk models (we love our bunk model), bath and a half wasn't available back then. The 34' (ours is 34' 11") is perfect for your small sites at state and national campgrounds (National Parks, Forest Service, Corp of Engineers, BLM, etc), we stay almost exclusively at them.

We ended up going with the Canyon Star for much the same reasons you're giving, bigger chassis, higher CCC, double pane windows, 50A, one more A/C and bigger genny standard (all BSCA were options in 2008). However, in our case, there were two models with bunks and within 1' length of each other, much more apples to apples as compared to today's product line, where every Canyon Star is 37'+.

I can't help you with the specific specials you're asking about, but Newmar has been much more accommodating with specials on the gas coaches lately, I believe they finally realized that's what sets them apart from other manufacturers and they are taking advantage of it. Do not let the dealer sales people dissuade you from asking for specials, if necessary call their 800 number and talk to someone at the factory.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
I don't know if your wife would go for the 3124 BayStar as it has just one small bathroom... But in return, you get a King Size bed and bedroom (wonderful!) and we also have 50 amp, twin AC/Heat pumps, all-electric residential fridge, etc.

In addition, the sofa is 87" long, which is long enough to easily install two luxurious recliners in its place! WE LOVE this as the recliners are incredibly comfortable. This may not work for your family, however.

Whatever Newmar you buy, I think you will love it. We're thrilled with the Newmar BayStar 3124. Great quality, great people, great coach.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2016...in-285289.html
Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We love ours, the workmanship and the extra 1/2 bathroom is great. The only issue is limited exterior storage, many of the bays have holding tanks or other equipment. All in all, Newmar offers a great value for the money and the full body paint is beautiful.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

The 2017 is still on a 22k chassis. Take a look at the build sheet as it shows several alternate dining configurations that may fit your needs. I doubt they would add a drop down bed, but never hurts to ask.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote