Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #29

I spoke with Steve at Newmar customer service, and he connected me directly to Dometic. I am waiting for a callback from the supervisor of the customer service tech at Dometic, as she had little information to help with the issue. I did notice on their website they have a vacuum flush toilet, and asked. You have to have a vacuum generator, but it only uses 1 pint per flush. If I were to order again, I would definitely be looking at having the vacuum system installed.

On another note, I set the switch in the controller box to low bowl flush, and left the inside switch to high bowl flush. I then timed the flush, and it is identical to the other toilet with no changes to the controller. I hope to get an answer from dometic, if they return the call.

My recommendation would be to stay with a low bowl flush on both settings, and manually add water when needed. Two flushes at low bowl still uses less water than a single high bowl flush. JMHO!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #30

Is this a common issue amongst all A-class toilets or is it just applicable to Newmars? I do like the Dutch Stars, but I was hoping for at least 1-week of use before dumping...
Acei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #31

Just the ones with Dometic brand macerator toilets.

It sounds like it might be a short run of non-adjustable toilets, lets hope.

We have the Techma toilets and can adjust the water level easily in comparison. They still use more water then a conventional RV toilet, but much less the the Dometic.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Guys, I really don't see why there is so much confusion over this. Quite simply, Newmar's 45 gal. black tank has been used for a long time. It was OK when we used direct-drop toilets which burned very little water, but with a macerator, the amount of fluid has to be increased not only to chop up solids but to move it along the smaller line to the tank.

So what is the solution? Quite simply....either increase the black tank size or use a toilet that consumes less "juice". I believe the Thetford does just that, but I'm thinking someone got a great deal from Dometic to put their toilet (and roof airs, basement refers, hmmm...trying to think of what else... ) in all their coaches. Thetford was left out since they don't have the product line Dometic does. So unless the mfr. decides to engineer a solution into their coaches we are left with this dilemma.

I feel I've figured out what to do to make mine work satisfactorily and have made it known on these forums, but each owner needs to find what works best for himself.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You can bet that when if and when we close on a '15 MA deal, we will see if there is any possible way we can still get the same Thetford electric toilets in the MA that we presently have in our Dutch.

Given all the back and forth on this thread about the problems with all electric toilets that Newmar has supplied beginning with its '14 models, keeping the Thetford units is a no brainer to us.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Deek, I think that's an excellent idea. If a bunch of people ask for Thetford and complain about the Dometic, I'd be surprised if they didn't make a running change. I've done this many times when spacing out cars, new homes, and of course motorhomes.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #35

Holding tank capacity

I think Newmar should consider including greater holding tank capacities considering the price range they have reached on their upper level coaches. Compared with Foretravel which builds coaches in the $800,000 to $1.3 million range, their tank capacities, which are the same for the 3 models they build, are 135 gallons fresh water, 145 gallons gray/black water tank, and 150 to 200 gallon fuel tanks. Similar holding tank capacities are standard on Newell and Prevost coaches.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #36

Just step up to a King Aire. The King Aire tanks are 140 fresh, 80 gray, 60 black and 200 diesel.

I agree with Deek about the toilet and it's already in our specials list requiring a Thetford just in case it's not standard on the King Aire, if and when we decide to order a new one. The lack of storage in the newer models is the reason we still have an '08. When we go to part-time status next year, hopefully we can offload a bunch of this 'stuff' to the house.

I had forgotten about this thread when the coaches were here at Hearthside Grove last week to check to see which toilet was in the King Aire.

Sue
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are basically two types of RV toilets, One is a "Self flushing" thing where you push a button and it takes on more water, then flushes (A pump sucks it out) then it takes on more water again, Sometimes the pump runs again and sometimes it does not.

The other is the gravity flush (Such as a Sea Land)

Using only the gravity flush, and living alone, I can and have gone 2 weeks without dumping.. Usually (This winter) dumped the day after I pulled into one CG with full hookups and again either the day I left or the day before, the other park had Water/Electric only and a dump station but since I was hooking up at the full Hookup place. That worked (Only spent one week on the partial sites).

WHen my wife was alive she used the macerator toilet (The one where you touch a button on the wall) and we had to dump 2x a week.

You will read many horrror stories, the worst one I read was where the park sewer backed up into someone's RV.

Just remember.. Folks have had this happen at home as well. IN fact about 30 minutes by car from where I used to live it happened most every eyar as the sewer system overloaded in the monsoon season.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #38

Maybe this is the toilet to get.

Composting Toilet: What is it and Why you need one | Gone With The Wynns
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
Sue, ALL the current toilets have been the Dometic, including the King.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Sue, ALL the current toilets have been the Dometic, including the King.
Thanks for the info, Slabman Not what I wanted to hear. :(

Sue
Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I'm just wondering if the discussion about increased holding tank size (which I would like also) is because of the tire/axle/useful load capacity limitations of the chassis? I'm not throwing any stones here, I'm just wondering if Newmar couldn't install bigger tanks due to loading? Maybe the reason is the tanks you have can be pulled, for possible replacing, with the frame members and opening sizes and a larger tank could not. I 'm trying to think of the engineering reason. I think everyone would desire larger tanks but rigs like Prevost are the only ones with the capacity.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
The old Travel Supremes and current Entegras have always had 60 gal. Black tanks, so tires are not a reason. Dave, that's what you have, along with the 315 tires. So tire capacity is always a consideration, but the current increased tire sizes on Newmars should allow more tank size. I say there IS space available between those rails and, with some re-molding by the mfr, tanks could be bumped up. You start with blk and grey tanks, increasing heights, but still fitting both within the rails, then size the fresh water tank below to whatever size you need, fitting all the peripheral stuff like plumbing and wiring around them. You want to keep liquid weights as far back as possible, transfering as much of loadings to the rear axle as possible, since they always are the more lightly-loaded of all the tires. As for tire size, the King and Essex already have the max. available, ala the Prevosts and Newells, so can't go any higher there. Interestingly, the King now has a slightly lower ccc than the Essex, due to the larger tank sizes and other increased weights like the chassis frame. This stuff can be done....all that's needed is the WILL, which may have to come from buyers. Newmar will need to re-engineer this stuff, but they ain't stupid and will do so if needed.