Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now you guys have me nervous about the toilets

Was reading the post on the black filling up super fast, assuming the issue is about how much water the toilet uses to flush?

You guys are making me nervous. My current coach has a 40 gallon black, and it can take 7 to 14 days to fill er up.

I was thinking a 45 gallon tank would be even better... but...

So what's the lowdown on this? Considering inking this deal on a 15 Ventana
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Was reading the post on the black filling up super fast, assuming the issue is about how much water the toilet uses to flush?

You guys are making me nervous. My current coach has a 40 gallon black, and it can take 7 to 14 days to fill er up.

I was thinking a 45 gallon tank would be even better... but...

So what's the lowdown on this? Considering inking this deal on a 15 Ventana
I am by no means a Newmar expert, yet believe some tanks fill more quickly when the toilets are not located immediately above the black holding tank with the reason being, toilets not located immediately above the black holding tank require fresh water to move the waste TO THE BLACK HOLDING TANK, therefore dumping a larger quantity of water into the black tank with each use.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #3

When dry camping we do not use the electric toilet in the rear of of our bath and a half because it will use a lot of fresh water and fill the black faster. When we have hookups we like the rear bath.
beengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
interesting though, and makes sense.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Our single toilet is directly above our 40 gal black tank, it takes 6-7 days with a family of 4 to fill it up. I agree with other posters that it is the electric macerating toilets that need more water to flush and causes the tank to fill up more quickly.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

We don't do a whole lot of dry camping.

I am a big fan of the macerator toilets in the Newmar you're looking at. This is our 5th RV - and this setup is my favorite. Quality toilets. Zero oder and ease flushing the tank.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
We don't do a whole lot of dry camping.

I am a big fan of the macerator toilets in the Newmar you're looking at. This is our 5th RV - and this setup is my favorite. Quality toilets. Zero oder and ease flushing the tank.
That sounds promising.
Our situtation is a little different than most.

We use our coach to get back and forth to trade shows. So all that means is we drive a lot. Usually on our way we are just pausing for a nap at night so we hit a lot of walmart parking lot style overnights, and then when we need to dump, either find a loves or flying j or an easy campground, then back on the road again.

It's actually rare for us to sit in one place for long. So how often I gotta stop and find a dump station, which always eats time from your day, matters somewhat to me.

Which I love on my current coach.. 5 to 6 days easy between dumps. But then I read slabman filling his up in 2 days and i think YIKES
Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We can run 5 days with ours. Having the macerator toilets allows the design folks more flexibility on interior designs. I'm guessing if your Ventana could be designed with one conventional toilet over the black tank you would be in the best situation.

In the old days with our '04 DS we could dry camp for 10 days. But don't do that much now a days.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
In your situation I think you want a bath and a half so that you can use the non-macerator toilet for long stretches between full hook-ups, but have the macerator (which is nice and does have a high and low water use option) for when you can dump at will. Good luck on your search.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #10

I had been monitoring this situation for several months prior to purchasing a Dutch Star 4018 in late April.I decided to purchase the coach understanding that Slabman and Dutch Star Don had identified a potential problem with the Dometic 8759 macerator toilet as noted in several posts early spring this year.They also identified some adjustments/techniques that maximized the number of flushes.To summarize the issue, the Dometic 8759 is similar to a normal house toilet without the tank.It fills the bowl after flushing and uses a lot of water while flushing.The toilet system includes a float in the top of the black tank, which when nearly full, shuts down the toilet making it inoperable.There are two water settings on the wall plate and also another setting in the control box located “out of sight” (basement or behind panels).

My old unit, a 2008 Kountry Star 3910 had a 45 gal black tank that lasted in excess of a week, and in fact the gray tank would always fill prior to the black tank.My current unit, a 2014 Dutch Star 4018 appears to provide around 4-5 days utilizing the settings which minimize the amount of water used.When using the minimum, you can expect that the toilet will not always be totally cleared.It can be cleared totally by adding more water before flushing or flushing twice, but we found that it was best to only do that when necessary (poop).Another word of caution is that not only do the 2 macerator toilets fill the black tanks quickly, it uses much more water than I was expecting which compounds the issues when dry camping…you can also run out of water.Bottom line is that all tanks, black, gray and clear can last from 4-5 days FOR US when dry camping.

Obviously, the issue identified goes away with full hookups.I also read a rumor that Dometic was attempting to address the issue.When I called Newmar around March of this year, they did not acknowledge that there was an issue.I love the 4018, the floorplan, the bath and a half and honestly, the Dometic toilets…there are just some new limitations.We dry camp 3-4 times a year and decided that we can live with what the 4018 provides…just wish it was better. When we went from the Kountry Star to the Dutch Star, I concluded that there were a significant number of improvements and upgrades and in my opinion, only one take away...the increased use of water in the toilets. I hope his helps you in your decision making process and good luck.

Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting view. Makes me wonder then in the Ventana... i can't recall if the half bath was macerator or foot operated.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 4369 is bath and 1/2 and both are macerator. I am not sure if the coach layout with a bath and 1/2 gives you options with this. I do believe because of the piping and tank location you need the macerator in both baths. You would probably have to ask Newmar directly to be sure.

We have not experienced an issue with black tank capacity so far, don't think we ever will.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
To follow up on what Jim L stated. We are on the road now and with the water set at the controller at the low bowl setting (little black box located outside), and the inside flush buttons set at the high setting, we can go about 2.5 days before we're full. That's using the toilets normally, a little disappointing.

What I was not happy with is that when you get close to being full and you use either toilet the last time, both toilets go red and won't flush. It seems to always happen at about 11:00 at night. I cut the wire to my half bath controller that stops the toilet from working and put a switch inline. When my rear toilet goes red, I know I have about five uses of the toilet before it's full.

Even when the red light is on and I use the other toilet a few more times, my tank still says I'm 2/3rds full. I know I'm full because the half bath toilet will start to gurgle. I originally thought that I wasn't full and the Dometic sensor was telling the toilets to shut down when the tanks still had more room. This wasn't the case. I had even called the tank gauge monitor manufacturer who was just leaving to have a meeting with Newmar about the tank issue. He later told me that they realized it wasn't a good idea to have the tank full sensor for the toilet to be made by Dometic and the tank gauges made by them. They said they would probably resolve the issue, but it would take another model year or so. This still doesn't solve the small tank and large use of water issue.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Zoikes! I just don't know what to say about that. I would be super irritated after spending the money one of these things costs.

I wonder if they would retrofit you?