Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #1

We were just going to order our Newmar from the local Newmar dealer...but the more I read on these posts it seems I might get hosed on price...?

Really? What if I have a trade in?

I sooo don't want to haggle with a dealer, and my husband sucks at it, they just have to show him the exterior entertainment center and he will sign the papers(He is a good MD but not a salesman).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #2

We were just going to order our Newmar from the local Newmar dealer...but the more I read on these posts it seems I might get hosed on price...?

Really? What if I have a trade in?

I sooo don't want to haggle with a dealer, and my husband sucks at it, they just have to show him the exterior entertainment center and he will sign the papers(He is a good MD but not a salesman).
Old 01-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The general feeling is that you should expect a discount of about 25% off the MSRP on most new rigs. Some claim to do better...as much as 27%. If you are planning to trade, you will be negotiating for a price difference between the new rig and trade in value of your rig. If you have the time and patience, you will likely do better if you sell your used rig, then go negotiate your best cash deal on the new rig you want.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #4

smlranger has it right. As far as trading you can look it as discounted new coach less near wholesale value trade. Or you can look at it at full list price less full high retail value on your trade. Both ways of figuring generally come to a similar difference. Generally options can be had for more than the traditional 25 - 27% off.

Peter
Old 01-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #5

Okay, that makes sense. The way it was worded in a few other posts made it sounds like there was some top secret into out there that I was going to kick myself for later.

Thanks for the replys!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Agree w/Ranger and Lug Nut. 25% is a fair deal, anything higher is a great. However, not likely w/a hot coach that is hard to find. Do not let the dealer convince you that he doesn't understand 25% because he calculates differently. Move onto the next dealer. Take the price your paying and divide by the MSRP + options + Specials. You should come to .75 or lower.

Also, as mentioned, if you are trading in, make the dealer give you the sale price and the trade in price separately. Don't get caught w/them telling you all that matters is the difference. All that really matters what you pay for the new coach and what they pay you for you old coach.

Ranger is right about selling the old coach first, then buying the new coach independently. However, if you do that, you may lose out on sales tax. In many (most?) states, you only have to pay the sales tax on the difference in the two prices.

Ideally, you sell your old coach and do an LLC deal in Montana where there is no sales tax. But, that's a different topic all together.

Good luck.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Also, to get a quick idea what your coach is worth, go to NADA

It is likely the dealer is using this as at least part of his offer to you.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #8

Maybe take a friend with you who CAN deal??
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Don't let the method used to write up the sales agreement fool you. You will never get more than wholesale for your trade in.

When negotiating, negotiate without your trade. Go for 25%-29% off MSRP. Only after arriving at what you consider a fair price on the coach bring your trade in into the process. Get the wholesale value for your coach from the dealers NADA or Kelly BB and request wholesale for your trade in. The difference will be your bottom line and actual cost.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #10

Compare MSRP pricing of different dealers. It is possible for the same MH to have different MSRP with different dealers. Let the dealers compete for your business, just make sure you buy from a good dealer that will stand behind your purchase. A good dealer will make things easier for you in the long run. Ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you if their ownership experience has been improved by the dealer.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It is possible for the same MH to have different MSRP with different dealers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newmar publishes the base MSRP and the MSRP of options, so all dealers should not have different MSRPs.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JerryKelly:
Compare MSRP pricing of different dealers. It is possible for the same MH to have different MSRP with different dealers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dealers should not have different MSRPs. The difference may be add ons by the dealer. Call the coach manufacturer and get their MSRP options sheet directly from them.

When I was shopping for my Itasca all the dealers I faxed had the same MSRP option sheet. I have never seen a dealer that falsified the manufacturer's MSRP option paperwork.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #13

Check the MSRP's. We discovered this when we were shopping last year. It is a good idea to confirm MSRP with the manufacturer's.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #14

Thanks for the help on this....I did get the manufacturer's MSRP option sheet and have poured over it more times than I care to count.

I also understand the reasons I wouldn't get more than wholesale for my trade in.

Everyone has been great here! THANKS!