RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Oasis

Quick question on the Oasis heating system. To have heat while driving, I know the engine will heat the Oasis liquid. What do I have to do to turn it on besides set to furnace, set temp.?

Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationfools View Post
Quick question on the Oasis heating system. To have heat while driving, I know the engine will heat the Oasis liquid. What do I have to do to turn it on besides set to furnace, set temp.?
If you were plugged in and the water in the Oasis is hot, it will work with oil burner switch off and electric switch (AC1/AC2) off. If I am starting out cold, I start the oil burner and turn it off when the water comes up to temperature. After that initial heat up the engine will take over. That may or may not be necessary but it works best for me.

The Oasis manual says to leave the oil burner switch on, but most people here have found that is not necessary to do that.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO the diesel burner uses so little diesel just leave it on. I think itís 1/2 gal per continuous hour of running and it doesnít run continuous but only as needed. And itís better to use the burner to keep the system clean the same as itís bad not running the generator often. Donít want diesel gelling or gumming up from non use then you have issues from trying to save a few pennies.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

I had already ran down the road 100 miles so all should have been hot. I turn all zones to furnace and temp on all to 70 as the coach was only 58 but nothing ever came on. So was wondering if burner had to be on to turn system on. Also no danger to have burner on while running down the road? Thanks for suggestions.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
VF, You should get engine generated Oasis heat if you turn the burner switch to ON while going down the road. Enjoy
KenMarNewMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn on the Oasis burner and let the Oasis come up to temperature. Then turn it off, if you like, and the engine heat will take over.

The wall thermostat should be set like it would when you are using the oil burner for heat.

Neil, I haven't looked at the hour meter lately, but I bet I have more than 1000 hours on the oil burner from the last 2 1/2 years on the road. Probably depends how much time you spend in colder weather. For us it is $1,430 at $3.25 a gallon. Being an early retiree, I try to watch those pennies. No problem with ours gumming up.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMarNewMar View Post
VF, You should get engine generated Oasis heat if you turn the burner switch to ON while going down the road. Enjoy

How about when boondocking can I use the diesel burner to heat without the generator or will I run the batteries down too much during the night?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes you can use the diesel burner when boondocking. Unless it is really cold, it will only use minimal power.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationfools View Post
How about when boondocking can I use the diesel burner to heat without the generator or will I run the batteries down too much during the night?

Iím boondocking right now. Diesel burner is on. Thermostat set to Furnace. Thatís all there is to it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
At low of -7 with high of 10 it takes about 24 hours to drive the batteries to 70%. I think the fans and circulation pumps take most of the power. Also the cold has an effect. AGS is your friend.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keep in mind.....while boondocking and running the unit at bedtime, just turn on the bedroom heat to reduce power consumption (fans running). You can set the rest of the coach to a lower temp.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Op never said what model coach he has, or if his is plumbed for engine pre-heat or not. Could this be a troll? Regardless the wall thermostat needs to be setup to call for heat from the Oasis system, and the necessary sub-systems need to be installed. On Ventana's the engine heating subsystem is NOT installed, it's not even available as an option, it can be added later, but, friend had his hoses fail 2 times and coolant all over the place, don't know if he just stubbed the system off and left it not working or not. Getting into the necessary small area to run the hoses, having the take-offs on the engine, lots of things to investigate here.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
Op never said what model coach he has, or if his is plumbed for engine pre-heat or not. .
I checked his profile before responding. It said he had an Essex. It would be better if he included his rig in the post.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
Op never said what model coach he has, or if his is plumbed for engine pre-heat or not. Could this be a troll? Regardless the wall thermostat needs to be setup to call for heat from the Oasis system, and the necessary sub-systems need to be installed. On Ventana's the engine heating subsystem is NOT installed, it's not even available as an option, it can be added later, but, friend had his hoses fail 2 times and coolant all over the place, don't know if he just stubbed the system off and left it not working or not. Getting into the necessary small area to run the hoses, having the take-offs on the engine, lots of things to investigate here.

Not troll, haha. Sorry for not including coach info but it is in my profile. 2008 Newmar Essex. Do not have engine pre-heat. I've used my Oasis heat before while boondocking but never on the road while driving. I figured that since my engine was up to running temp. The Oasis would put out heat, but it didn't and the fans wouldn't come on until I turned the burner on.

Tags
oasis