Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oasis

The other night I had ac 2 on, burner off and the heat pumps on, during the night it got colder than expected and the heat pumps quit, but the vertical vent beside the kitchen sink started blowing hot air, again the furnace was not running nor was the heat pumps.
Does the Oasis sense this and the electric heat for the water( ac2) will kick on and in turn turn the fan on, if this is the case how do you control it ? and is it heating the basement as well?
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #2

It could be one of two problems.
1. The Oasis switch on the zone control board is in bypass. You do not want the switch in that position unless you are filling the unit with transfer fluid.
2. You have a stuck valve in your distribution module loop 1 that is not closed and causing the summer loop pump to pull fluid through that valve creating the hot zone in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8158F30-CA81-402A-8D9F-C12D3B21B290.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	349621  
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What was your thermostat set to? If auto it will pick the most appropriate heat source. If HP it will only run the HP. If Furnace only the Oasis.

Depending on year and model and set to furnace, AC I or AC I & II are the electric elements of the Oasis system. That will heat and run the vent fans in the coach and the wet bay.wet bay once it’s temperature hits about 45.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
It could be one of two problems.

1. The Oasis switch on the zone control board is in bypass. You do not want the switch in that position unless you are filling the unit with transfer fluid.

2. You have a stuck valve in your distribution module loop 1 that is not closed and causing the summer loop pump to pull fluid through that valve creating the hot zone in the kitchen.

This is a great schematic to have, thank you!
Old 11-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The AC 2 was on, Burner off and the Heat Pumps were on it just got too cold and the HP wouldn't work.
I called Newmar they referred me to Oasis and the gentleman "guessed" it was electric heat, not a good answer, but he also said they did not have any vents except floor vents, this vent that the heat came out of was Horizonal beside the kitchen sink.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty1313 View Post
The other night I had ac 2 on, burner off and the heat pumps on, during the night it got colder than expected and the heat pumps quit, but the vertical vent beside the kitchen sink started blowing hot air, again the furnace was not running nor was the heat pumps.
Does the Oasis sense this and the electric heat for the water( ac2) will kick on and in turn turn the fan on, if this is the case how do you control it ? and is it heating the basement as well?
From extensive cold weather camping this is what I have found.
1. Heat pumps are nice and, I will use them in cooler temperatures. When I see forecasts that overnight temperatures will get around 45 degrees then I will set the thermostat to the furnace mode. The heat pumps will not function at 40 degrees so, I don’t take a chance when forecast temperatures will get close to that.
2. In the furnace mode the Oasis is not very efficient heating the coach with only the AC elements. The AC elements are secondary heating sources. The burner is the primary heating source for heating the coolant fluid and water. When using hot water the ability to heat the coach is reduced.
3. I have tried the Auto mode on the thermostat and, I don’t recommend it.
4. In my coach to run the Oasis in the furnace mode I set zones 1 & 3 to furnace and zone 2 to Off. I run the burner and both AC elements.
5. The wet bay fan will come on at 45 degrees. I believe that is independent of furnace use? Perhaps, someone else can verify that.
6. Your problem of having heat in the kitchen sink area is as I described in my earlier post. This can be caused If the bypass switch is on, or if the check valve for loop one is stuck open then, the summer loop pump is powerful enough to suck the fluid through that valve and cause the radiator in the kitchen to get hot. You solve that by opening the distribution module panel and firmly rapping the loop 1 check valve. This usually fixes the problem.

From the Oasis Owners Manual.

8.6 Activating the Cabin Fan Heaters through the Thermostats
(Distribution Module Equipped Systems Only) (Burner or AC Heat or Engine Heat Source Available)
• Any thermostat connected to the Distribution Module’s Zone Control Board and calling for heat will cause the cabin fan controlled by that thermostat to be enabled. The ITR cabin fan has a built-in aquastat that prevents the cabin fan from blowing cold air. Once the room temperature has reached the temperature called for by the thermostat the cabin fan will turn off.
8.7 Activating the Domestic Hot Water
(OasisTM Heating Module and Distribution Module used in Tandem) (Burner or AC Heat On)
• As long as heat is available in the OasisTM Heating Module, the Distribution Module (Optional) will respond to a call for domestic hot water. Ensure that a heat source has been selected (i.e. Burner, AC, Engine). The production of the domestic hot water is continuous on the Burner operation and limited when using AC or Engine.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
This is a great schematic to have, thank you!
The schematic is a very helpful tool. I can’t take credit as it was sent to me when I was having an issue with the distribution module. I don’t remember who sent it but, I was very grateful. I keep it in my photo library to refer to when needed as well as to post when someone else needs it.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the help… the switch was and is off so possibly a stuck valve… Thanks again
Old 11-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Arty, what did it turn out being?
Old 11-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #10

Not a problem at all, UNLESS you wanted to wake up to a cold Coach. The Oasis system was working as it was designed to.- Paul
Old 11-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The switch is off, Paul said it could be a stuck valve and Oasis said he “thought” that was normal so when I get home I will investigate further.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty1313 View Post
The switch is off, Paul said it could be a stuck valve and Oasis said he “thought” that was normal so when I get home I will investigate further.
I can assure you that what you are experiencing is not normal.

I have had this problem twice. The first time as when I purchased my coach the kitchen sink area was extremely hot. This was happening in the summer when we were using the air conditioners. There happened to be a post I noticed on the forum that the cause was the bypass switch was left in the on position. Apparently, many coaches came out of the factory with the bypass switch left on after the initial filling and purging of the Oasis system at the factory. Turned bypass switch off, problem solved.

I recently had to replace my entire distribution module. I had a cold enough evening shortly after that required the furnace to be on. The next day when I shut the furnace off I noticed the heat radiating from the kitchen sink area. That’s when I posted the problem and, received a response about the loop one valve being stuck open as well as the schematic. As I stated earlier, the summer loop pump is powerful enough to draw the fluid through an open check valve in the heating loops to cause the radiator to heat up. Since, the problem was in the kitchen I knew it was the loop one check valve. I had to remove the distribution module panel so I could get at the valve and tap on it with a wrench. I initially tried rapping on the pipe from the top of the distribution module but, that didn’t free the valve. ITR told me that once the valve is tapped and goes back in the proper position it usually fixes the problem for good. Unfortunately, this particular valve is continuing to stick open after using the furnace and the switching it off or changing modes. As, of now I am only using the furnace so, it’s working properly. If the problem happens again when the time comes to once again use the furnace in the evening and then off or change modes during the day then, I will have to change out the valve.

You did state that the fan was running, blowing the air through that kitchen radiator. I never had a fan running with these problems, only a hot radiator which did create noticeable heat. The fan should not have been running unless you had the furnace mode selected.

Tags
oasis