Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #1

Oasis AC element dangers?

I just came across this thread:
https://rvforums.com/threads/inspection-of-oasis-ch-50-hydronic-heater-120v-wiring-recommended.355/.

Anyone had any experience with this being a widespread issue or is it just a rare occurrence? I would thought I would have found alot more info on that on the internet if it was a widespread issue but I could only find that one thread. That thread is about a 2017 but I wonder if anyone has found any bad 120VAC connections on the oasis on older newmars around 2010 range?

Anyways, just interested in starting a conversation on this topic, as I know there are many knowledgeable people here.

Thanks.
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 04:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Never a bad idea to inspect wiring especially since these are easy to get too. We had an issue where our AC1/AC2 were not working at all. Root cause was the wiring by Newmar was done incorrectly which put both elements in series causing them to draw more than the AC Sense Relay could handle. Since the relay wouldn't allow the elements to power on, it avoided any potential issue.

in our 2021 SuperStar, there is a 4x4 box for this wiring and posilocks are used.

let us know what you find when you open the box.
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:50 AM   #3

We had the same or very similar issue on our 2015 Ventana. The Oasis would only run intermittently and I could find nothing obviously wrong. It eventually just quit and appeared to blow a fuse. We were in Reno in the snow and temperatures in the mid teens. This was not a lot of fun. When we got to a warmer and better situation in Las Vegas I dug into the issue. It turns out the blown fuse was in the electrical compartment behind the cord reel in that bank of fuses behind the velcro panel. Of course I now needed to find the cause of the blown fuse. I found three issues so not sure what was the triggering event but I suspect it was the wiring to the heating elements shorting out. The wiring runs through a box with a panel type cover on top of the unit. Where the wiring comes out of the box to the elements one or more wires rubbed the insulation off the wires and caused a direct short which caused the fuse to blow. I had an RV Tech rewire the entire system of wires related to the two elements. He used extra insulation/shields on all the wires and installed a rubber ring around the area they had previously rubbed raw and shorted out. The second issue was that the fuel solenoid was bad. Cause of this failure was unknown but possibly due to the short? I was able to have ITR overnight a replacement. The third issue (found after correcting the first two issues) was a thermal fuse that had blown due to excess heat. This is located in the burner box area. We could not locally source the thermal fuse in the Las Vegas area; however, we were able to bypass the thermal fuse and confirm the system was electrically sound and working other than the thermal fuse. I found the fuse on line and had it delivered to our next destination. I was able to replace the thermal fuse and we have had no issues since the repairs. During this whole process I was in contact with IRT via phone and they were very helpful with both diagnosing the problem and suggesting repairs. I think this is the same issue that is referenced in the original posters link to another site. I agree this is a potential fire danger but the safety features did their job and shut the system down before there could be fire.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #4

This posting peeked my interest so I decided to inspect my Oasis wiring. And as pleasantly surprised as I was to find they used the proper type of wire connectors for high amperage draw (Wago style) I was equally disappointed in the workmanship of putting them together.

As you can see in the picture a couple were not locked down but upon further inspection I found that every wire coming off the Oasis was not stripped back far enough therefore not seated in the connector properly.

So I stripped them all back a little more and reseated them. I then wrapped each connector with electrical tape to prevent the lock from coming loose. It boggles my mind the attention to detail that is found in the coaches sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220630-161807_Gallery.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	829.8 KB
ID:	369800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_171807.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	369801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_172709.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	369802  
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
This posting peeked my interest so I decided to inspect my Oasis wiring. And as pleasantly surprised as I was to find they used the proper type of wire connectors for high amperage draw (Wago style) I was equally disappointed in the workmanship of putting them together.

As you can see in the picture a couple were not locked down but upon further inspection I found that every wire coming off the Oasis was not stripped back far enough therefore not seated in the connector properly.

So I stripped them all back a little more and reseated them. I then wrapped each connector with electrical tape to prevent the lock from coming loose. It boggles my mind the attention to detail that is found in the coaches sometimes.
Interesting. What year is your coach?
I wonder if they changed the type of connecters they use at a certain year.
I plan to check our wiring shortly.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb1 View Post
Interesting. What year is your coach?
I wonder if they changed the type of connecters they use at a certain year.
I plan to check our wiring shortly.
2019 London Aire and I have a friend that has a 2020 LA that he just checked his today and he has the Wago connectors also and 2 of his wires were not seated properly and he had to strip the insulation a little more.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, oasis