Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis Amp draw

2019 4369 Ventana. New 02-24-19...
In monitoring the Amp usage of the Oasis, when heating water it will draw 25+ amps, using either just AC 2 or AC2 & the burner.
We are having a heat wave in FL and if we need hot water, I shut down one or two of the AC units. The power management system does not, which I thought it should. Several times at different parks, it's tripped the breaker on the utility pole.
Am I doing something wrong?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have 50A shore power...there shouldn’t be any problems. I just use AC 1+2...no burner.

On 30A...the Energy Management System will shed items...but it’s done in a particular order... I leave the Oasis off...or use Burner alone when dealing with less than 50A of shore...occasionally I might run a single AC element on the Oasis...but prefer to leave everything for the air conditioners.

Microwave, hair dryers, induction cooktop all will likely trigger some shedding.

The Oasis electric elements get shed before air conditioners.

If the power pole breaker is old or has dross (oxidation) you might have a trip even with the mgmt system working. The lcd display reports shedding..if you happen to be looking. Mine seems to work. I can tell when it sheds an A/C unit b/c it will trigger my AGS to start the generator when Temp is set for ext. input.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The 5KW element in the Aqua Hot unit in Present MH uses 11A when heating water. 25A for one of the two elements seems high to me, as I believe they are 1500 watt elements, if both are on, then you would get the 25A mentioned as they would use about 12.5a each. But the diesel side is all 12VDC, so that should not be much at all.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Field Trip".....Your info is a little incomplete to help you with your issue. First, you need to tell us what shore power you have when this issue occurs, 30amp or 50amp. Second, you refer to the Oasis unit as being on a AC2. Please be more descriptive. There is AC1, AC2 (which turns on both elements) and the diesel burner. You also say your turning off the AC units to heat water. Does that mean you're shutting off the roof top air conditioners or the AC2 Oasis and running off the diesel burner.

If you can clarify some of this and describe in better detail what is happening, we can help you with your issue. We're not there, you need to be descriptive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
A suggestion, if you use AC1 to heat your water you will cut your amp usage in half as you will only use one element. Yes it takes longer to heat the water . Unless we are showering back to back it we have had no problem in the summer having enough hot water for one shower or washing dishes. In cooler weather that may not work. But you probably will not need both AC running. I'm still too new using the Energy Management system to help there.
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies guys.

Let’s see if I can answer some of the details I failed to include.

I am on 50 amp shore power, & activate the diesel burner switch (toggled to the right), or in the on position, as well as AC-2. I can hear the burner run heating up the hot water and ultimately it shuts off. The AC to light will go off but the burner light stays on. Once the Oasis burner shuts off the amperage it employs goes away.

To generate hot water, I have to ensure that at least one or two of the roof AC’s are off as the Oasis pulls 25 amps.
Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I was under the impression that my power management system would automatically shed loads rather than me doing it manually. This is my first experience with an Oasis system.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Let’s see if I can answer some of the details I failed to include.

I am on 50 amp shore power, & activate the diesel burner switch (toggled to the right), or in the on position, as well as AC-2. I can hear the burner run heating up the hot water and ultimately it shuts off. The AC to light will go off but the burner light stays on. Once the Oasis burner shuts off the amperage it employs goes away.

To generate hot water, I have to ensure that at least one or two of the roof AC’s are off as the Oasis pulls 25 amps.
Your coach should be able to run 3 ac units plus the oasis on ac1 and ac2, and not pull more than 60amps. With 50amp shore power you actually have 100amps available.

If your pedestal is tripping due to load, then run only the diesel burner.

I normally run ac2 and 3 air cons plus cooking appliances without ever having an issue.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Adding more questions to the mix.

Will the Oasis system heat water in the AC one position? And to use the burner does it need to be in AC-1 or AC-2 position or does it matter?
Old 06-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Red Baron,

With three ACs running I am at 44-45 amps. When I have the 25 for the oasis it jumps it up to 67-69. In most cases it’ll trip the shore power 50 amp breaker.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
FT- on our present one, running both AC's, we are using about 40a to start, and 20-25 to keep running, both are 15K BTU heat pumps. I don't think we have ever tripped a pedestal breaker except wind storm in ATL with temps down to -7 or so. Heaters were eating up the power then. If it was me, I would start making sure something was not lose in the circuit panel, which might be raising the resistance and causing that issue. Things do get lose. Oh, check thread on incorrect wiring on Oasis units here in this forum, some were wired bad, or something caused some issues.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as Oasis goes. It doesn’t really care where the heat comes from. You need to add heat to the systems transfer fluid at a rate high enough to keep up with demand.

From least to most...

1 AC element. Great for heating domestic hot water in Florida
2 AC elements. Good enough for taking a regular shower in Florida or light furnace use.
Burner... unlimited shower anywhere...and normal furnace use
Burner + 1 AC element. Even more
Burner + 2 AC elements (full throttle). You can take long showers and run furnace a lot.

If you only had a problem at one campsite...I would suspect their wiring...

However...you are getting this problem multiple locations.

The amp readings are taken in the distribution panel. There may be too much resistance between the panel and the pole. Making sure the connections are clean and tight in the transfer switch is important.

Now...is your management system working??? Might plug into a 30A outlet...look at the panel to see if it detected 30A.

Then start up two air conditioners ...and watch the panel. See if you get a shed message, or the pole breaker trips. There are a couple of different networking methods used...but I would look for a loose connection of the network cable. The one on the back of the management panel is probably good if it is powered up...but that cable joins the Magnum network in order to share information...and control the shedding. Shedding for A/C units is simply a signal sent to the Dometic brain box...and there are relays for the block heater outlet, AC1 and AC2. Connections are made in the load center (circuit breaker panel) and the jacks on the MS2812.

It would be helpful to do a test to see if they are in fact shedding as advertised. As you page thru the management panel the loads are listed in order...

Block heater ...first to shed
AC2
AC1
A/C center
A/C rear
A/C front ...last to shed

By adding AC loads to the coach while plugged into 30A...after letting things stabilize...you should be able watch the magic happen. If it isn’t managing...the breaker on the pole will trip, and you’ll have to find out why it’s not managing your loads as it should.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
Red Baron,

With three ACs running I am at 44-45 amps. When I have the 25 for the oasis it jumps it up to 67-69. In most cases it’ll trip the shore power 50 amp breaker.

Thanks!
There is something wrong with that breaker. It should handle 83amps continous without tripping.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Field Trip"......because you're fairly new to this, do you realize that when you're connected to a 30 amp shore power pole, you get just 30amps, BUT when you're connected to 50amps, you're actually getting 100amps. If you look at your 30amp plug, it has three prongs, 1 power (30amps) one ground and one neutral. If you look at your 50amp plug it has four prongs. One prong is 50amps, the second prong is 50amps, the third prong is ground and the fourth is neutral.

So...….you can literally run everything in your coach at the same time while on 50amps (really 100amps). If the breaker keeps tripping, it's probably old and you should ask the campground management to replace it. They should have a few on hand.

As to how to use the Oasis in different weather conditions, take a look at this link. Take a few minutes to read through it and it will answer most of your questions. It's only one page.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oasi...ml#post2343034
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis