Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Oasis basement heat

We have a 2009 newmar dutch aire with the oasis system with 3 loops. There is 2 climate control zones in the coach. The 3rd loop is I guess the water heating? (Not sure if the water heating is a loop or not)
We have no engine preheat on the oasis.
There is also a radiator in the wet bay. I have heard from reading other posts that this kicks on at 40 degrees and to use an ice cube on the sensor down there to test it. I will try that also.
Our front heat loop doesn't function, and I'm wondering if this will hinder the operation of the basement heater... we are OK with no front furnace, but would probably want the basement heater as we are going into ~20 degree weather soon.
So my question is does anyone know what oasis heat loop the basement heat is on, and if the non-operational front heat loop hinder anything more than the front furnace?
Any input would be appreciated, I'll also look for the thermostat sensor in the wet bay and try the ice cube thing.

Thanks
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
The sensor is a silver disk about the size of a quarter mine is in the right corner clipped to back wall. I filled a cup of water with ice cubes in it to test. Not sure which pump loop runs it. A common problem on mine after not using it for months is a check valve sticking. If pumps are running but not hot at outlet give the check valve just above pump a whack . If you hear a different pitch to pump sound the check valve released. Oh your three loops are hot water at faucets, front heat, rear heat. I'm thinking basement heat is on main faucets loop. The Oasis ITR support line is the best.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

Caleb 1, first let me say that I have an AquaHot, not an OASIS, but I suspect they work the same.

The heating of domestic hot water is not considered a "loop". City water pressure simply pushes water in through the OASIS boiler tank, gets heated and comes out the hot water faucet.

If you have two climate control zones in the coach, each will control one loop, so 2 loops. One control zone turns on the front loop pump and the front heater fans, how ever many they are.

The other control zone turns on the rear loop pump. In my case, the rear loop contains 3 heater core's and two thermostats. If the water bay/basement thermostat comes on, the pump comes on, pumping water through all 3 heater cores, and the basement fan will come on to extract the heat out of the heater core in the basement. The bedroom and bath fans will not come on to extract any heat.
If the rear control zone comes on, the rear pump will come on, and the bed & bath fans will come on, but the basement fan will not come on.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Caleb 1, first let me say that I have an AquaHot, not an OASIS, but I suspect they work the same.

The heating of domestic hot water is not considered a "loop". City water pressure simply pushes water in through the OASIS boiler tank, gets heated and comes out the hot water faucet.

If you have two climate control zones in the coach, each will control one loop, so 2 loops. One control zone turns on the front loop pump and the front heater fans, how ever many they are.

The other control zone turns on the rear loop pump. In my case, the rear loop contains 3 heater core's and two thermostats. If the water bay/basement thermostat comes on, the pump comes on, pumping water through all 3 heater cores, and the basement fan will come on to extract the heat out of the heater core in the basement. The bedroom and bath fans will not come on to extract any heat.
If the rear control zone comes on, the rear pump will come on, and the bed & bath fans will come on, but the basement fan will not come on.
Aqua Hot and Oasis are obviously two different systems. Domestic hot water in the Oasis system is obtained using the Summer Loop PUMP. Thank you for your explanation of the Aqua Hot but it does not apply to our Oasis systems.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oasis basement heat

Call ITR at 360-993-4877 or Newmar to verify which zone your basement is on. We have a 17 4018 DSDP and ours is on the rear zone. And will come on around the 40 degree mark.

I have found ITR much easier to get ahold of since COVID has impacted Newmar more.

The guys at ITR are great to work with. I even have one of the guys cell phone number, we had him teach me how to do the annual service at a rally. Big mistake on his part! 🤣🤣

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the input everyone. I will keep in mind.
I was unable to find the sensor but by visually looking at the coolant lines I belive I have concluded that the basement heat is not on the front loop.
I will keep all of this in mind if I have to troubleshoot.

Thanks again everyone.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Old 11-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealyn View Post
Aqua Hot and Oasis are obviously two different systems. Domestic hot water in the Oasis system is obtained using the Summer Loop PUMP. Thank you for your explanation of the Aqua Hot but it does not apply to our Oasis systems.
Thank you for your comment. The AquaHot and OASIS are both hot water boiler tank systems, manufactured under different brand names, and about 95% of their general operations are the same. So if you know all about the OASIS, you have a very good understanding of the operation of the AquaHot.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb1 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I will keep in mind.

I was unable to find the sensor but by visually looking at the coolant lines I belive I have concluded that the basement heat is not on the front loop.

I will keep all of this in mind if I have to troubleshoot.

Thanks again everyone.

In terms of your front loop not working, try opening the distribution panel, takes some work but is straight forward and rap the brass valve and pump with a hammer, they can stick. If this doesn’t work keep the access open as you’ll need to replace something.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
In terms of your front loop not working, try opening the distribution panel, takes some work but is straight forward and rap the brass valve and pump with a hammer, they can stick. If this doesn’t work keep the access open as you’ll need to replace something.
Good to know, will check this out.
Thanks for the information.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Thank you for your comment. The AquaHot and OASIS are both hot water boiler tank systems, manufactured under different brand names, and about 95% of their general operations are the same. So if you know all about the OASIS, you have a very good understanding of the operation of the AquaHot.
The point of my post was that you gave incorrect information to the OP in regards to the Oasis Summer Loop pump which supplies domestic hot water. The two systems are manufactured by two different companies with different burner assemblies, AC water heating capabilities and apparently domestic water distribution systems. The "basic" operation of the two are similar.

Tags
basement heat, heat, oasis