Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 05:09 PM   #1

Oasis Bypass Switch Left On By.....?

As noted in this post…

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/pot...ml#post6221963

…I got a call yesterday from an individual at International Thermal Research (ITR), the company that manufactures the Oasis hydronic heating systems installed by Newmar.

While on the phone with him discussing fuel lines, I noticed some low level noise that appeared to be coming from inside my Oasis unit. My first thought was that Amy or I had inadvertently left an Oasis-related switch on inside the coach when we returned home from our most recent trip. I went inside the coach and verified all the Oasis switches were in their off positions. Checked a number of other things, all to no avail. Tried shutting off shore power to the coach which had no effect (nor did I expect it would).

While trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed a display panel mounted on the forward wall of the basement compartment in which the Oasis unit is located. ITR calls that panel a Zone Board – see the first of the photos below. Looking at my panel, I saw lights illuminated for Power, Summer Loop, Heat Loop 1 and Heat Loop 2. Those lights confirmed my suspicion that what I was hearing was one or more circulation pumps running. The good news is that the pumps are pretty quiet. The bad news is that because they’re so quiet, there is no telling how long this issue would have been present had I not discovered it yesterday.

After shutting off shore power to the coach, I tried powering off the Oasis unit using the Power button on the front of the unit. The power down button seemed to work, but the noise was still present indicting the circulation pumps were still running. And the same lights on the Zone Board were still on. Since all else had failed, I tried shutting off 12-volt power to the coach using the Battery Disconnect switch on the panel above the entry door. At that point the noise stopped and the lights on the Zone Board went out.

While all that was going on, I was exchanging text messages with the individual at ITR who called me about the fuel lines referenced in the post linked above. After I told him I'd been able to stop the noise by killing 12 volt power to the coach, he responded saying he had a strong suspicion as to the cause of my problem and would call me when he had time.

He called this morning (Tuesday 6/21/2022) and told me to locate the “Bypass Switch” on top of the plastic box that houses the Zone Board mentioned above. You can see that switch in the second photo below. He explained that when the Bypass Switch is in the on position, the pumps inside the Oasis unit will run continuously. He went on to say that the coach manufacturers usually turn the Bypass Switch on when filling the system with boiler fluid to ensure the fluid circulates throughout the system, eliminating any air pockets or bubbles. And he added that sometimes the relevant individual forgets to turn the switch off after filling the system.

I was walking our fearless guard dog Grover when he called, but told him I’d check the Bypass Switch as soon as I got home. I did and yes, it was on. Turned it off, restored 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC shore power to the coach, and confirmed the unit was silent; i.e., no circulation pumps running. Also confirmed the Summer Loop, Heat Loop 1 and Heat Loop 2 lights on the Zone Board display were out.

Looking at the location of the Zone Board enclosure box and the Bypass Switch in particular, I concluded there is virtually no way the switch could have been turned on by accident. So the open question is whether:

1) The switch has been on since someone at Newmar turned it on to fill the Oasis system with boiler fluid,

or

2) Newmar sent the coach out with the Bypass Switch off but someone at our selling dealership (Sport Truck RV here in the Phoenix area) turned it on.

Sport Truck RV is a relatively small dealership and has only one coach-related tech. His primary job is to ensure new coaches are ready for delivery. As such, I highly doubt he would have done anything with the Oasis system other than to turn it on from the panel inside the coach, just to ensure it was working.

As I said to the guy at ITR, if I have ten dollars to bet I’m putting $9.98 of it on Newmar as the party that left the Bypass Switch in the on position. But I am checking with the guys at Sport Truck to see what they may know.

In case any of you are interested in the math, our coach was completed at Newmar on 2/14/2022. Generously assuming that filling the Oasis system was one of the last things they did, the Oasis pumps had been running for over 3,000 (yes, three THOUSAND) hours before I turned the Bypass Switch off this morning. I have no idea what the estimated useful life of an Oasis circulation pump may be, but I’m pretty sure a fair amount of that useful life is down the proverbial drain at this point!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oasis Zone Board.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	368961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oasis Bypass Switch-1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	368962  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing this information. I just checked ours and the switch was in the off position. We also picked up at Sport Truck so my guess is someone at Newmar forgot to turn it off during the Oasis fluid fill up.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You can safely bet your money that this was a Newmar oversight. It’s been discussed here previously.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
You can safely bet your money that this was a Newmar oversight. It’s been discussed here previously.
Got it. I'm going up to $9.99 out of ten dollars!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #5

I'd send Newmar and ITR each a registered letter (return receipt requested) informing them of your find and asking them to extend the warranty on your Oasis system by 3000 hours.

I know, they might blow you off, but if you never ask they can't say "Yes".

And if they do say yes, it just might save you some serious future money.

Mike
Old 06-22-2022, 05:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Would love to know what the MTBF numbers are for these pumps…..bet it’s several thousands hours….you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your coach…
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I bought mine new in 2018. Found the bypass switch on from the factory as a result of a post on the forum. It apparently was quite common back then. My dealer didn’t catch it even though I mentioned excessive heat in kitchen area when doing the walkthrough. That was from the radiator being hot from the circulating fluid which happens when you have the bypass switch on.

The quality assurance on this and other things appears to be lacking, IMHO.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I bought mine new in 2018. Found the bypass switch on from the factory as a result of a post on the forum. It apparently was quite common back then. My dealer didn’t catch it even though I mentioned excessive heat in kitchen area when doing the walkthrough. That was from the radiator being hot from the circulating fluid which happens when you have the bypass switch on.

The quality assurance on this and other things appears to be lacking, IMHO.
Thanks Paul. We too have noticed some amount of heat, primarily in our single bathroom which is located about mid-ship on the passenger side of the coach. Should have been a clue, but I didn't put two & two together.

Slow learner...
Old 06-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Would love to know what the MTBF numbers are for these pumps…..bet it’s several thousands hours….you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your coach…
Here's what I got from the person I was interfacing with at ITR:

"We don't usually provide a lifetime expectancy for the pumps. We do for the compressor which is around 2000 hours. The pumps don't usually wear out from running. If they fail it is usually an electronic failure or the pumps were run dry. It wouldn't hurt to let Newmar know that you took delivery of the coach with the bypass switch on and you weren't aware of this until we talked."

I was confused by his reference to a compressor, since I wasn't aware of hydronic heating systems having a compressor. Reading various manuals related to my Oasis Chinook unit, I did find this:

"The major components such as the air compressor, fuel pump, fuel nozzle, and combustion air fan should be examined for wear and should be replaced by the service technician as required."

So now my question is, what is the function of the air compressor?

Old 06-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #10

We had a similar issue when we took delivery of our coach. I noticed heat from the area under the sink was hot and the dealer tech advised that the bypass switch was on and sure enough it was. It apparently left Nappanee with the switch in the on position so no telling how many hours it had run. The summer pump failed last year, likely due to running consistently for a couple months or more.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:32 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Here's what I got from the person I was interfacing with at ITR:

"We don't usually provide a lifetime expectancy for the pumps. We do for the compressor which is around 2000 hours. The pumps don't usually wear out from running. If they fail it is usually an electronic failure or the pumps were run dry. It wouldn't hurt to let Newmar know that you took delivery of the coach with the bypass switch on and you weren't aware of this until we talked."

I was confused by his reference to a compressor, since I wasn't aware of hydronic heating systems having a compressor. Reading various manuals related to my Oasis Chinook unit, I did find this:

"The major components such as the air compressor, fuel pump, fuel nozzle, and combustion air fan should be examined for wear and should be replaced by the service technician as required."

So now my question is, what is the function of the air compressor?

Larry it is my understanding the compressor supplies air for the combustion chamber. A few months ago my Oasis had a fault light. Called ITR for help in diagnosis. With phone in hand and seating by the unit I turned it on. The tech said “what is that loud clicking noise”? I said that I assumed it was the igniter try to light burner. He said no that’s way too loud. He had me apply pressure to the compressor and there was no difference in the speed or pitch in the noise. His prognosis was a bad compressor. He did say it’s very unusual for one to fail this soon. He sent me a new one and I installed and all is good. I did notice on the invoice a price north of $400.00.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:51 AM   #12

Found my switch in the on position while picking up at NIRVC. Thanks Newmar.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto! Picked up our '22 MA 4118 at the end of April. Same issue. Was wondering why our under sink cabinets area was heated all the time and we could never regulate the temps in the bedroom. Discovered the switch at the end of May by dumb luck. Switched the Oasis back to normal and now everything balances out.
SimpleaUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
So this is starting to look to be more the rule than the exception. We took delivery on 09/15/21 from the dealer lot. Coach build was approximately 05/21/21.
On our first night I noticed the heat at the registers (delivery in Yuma, AZ in September). Called dealership who had no clue. Found a thread on this forum that discussed the same. ~3000 hours maybe?

Tags
oasis, switch