Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2023, 07:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis compressor causing heater module fault.

Having issues with the compressor on my oasis. The red fault light comes on inside and the green compressor light on the front of the oasis panel in the bay flashes green. First showed up last May. Called ITR and was told to hit the compressor motor with a hammer. They said dust gets inside somehow causing the motor not to start. Well it worked after tapping with the hammer. The problem has been getting worse. I go out tap the motor and press the reset button. All's good for awhile. I am wondering if anyone has taken the compressor apart and cleaned it out with air then reinstalled it? ITR wants $455 for a new one. Have searched online for a less expensive replacement but haven't been successful. If you have found a replacement for it at a cheaper price I'd like to know where you found it. Since I am going to have to get one any way I figured I didn't have anything to lose by taking the old one apart and cleaning it. Just thought it had been done by someone already and I could learn from what they did. Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Having issues with the compressor on my oasis. The red fault light comes on inside and the green compressor light on the front of the oasis panel in the bay flashes green. First showed up last May. Called ITR and was told to hit the compressor motor with a hammer. They said dust gets inside somehow causing the motor not to start. Well it worked after tapping with the hammer. The problem has been getting worse. I go out tap the motor and press the reset button. All's good for awhile. I am wondering if anyone has taken the compressor apart and cleaned it out with air then reinstalled it? ITR wants $455 for a new one. Have searched online for a less expensive replacement but haven't been successful. If you have found a replacement for it at a cheaper price I'd like to know where you found it. Since I am going to have to get one any way I figured I didn't have anything to lose by taking the old one apart and cleaning it. Just thought it had been done by someone already and I could learn from what they did. Thanks in advance.

Patrick
There is no less expensive replacement unfortunately, it's a rare compressor that ITR custom selected for the pulse and pressure interval. I think it only makes 10-15psi of pressure to get the optimal diesel/air mixture in the nozzle.

The insides of the compressor motor are exceptionally simple- you can take the motor apart very easily. Some care has to be taken not damage the brushes, they have captive springs and are not easy to get at to hold back.

It's not going to be dust getting inside the motor, it will almost certainly be bad brush springs or jammed brushes. Check the armatures with a multimeter, should see about 2.2 ohms or less as the motor rotates.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would ensure that a pump is available and then try and rebuild/clean the old one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:14 PM   #4

I come from the side that has the opinion of, take it apart and have a look. Most likely in the brushes/armature area. Check for smooth movement of the brushes as they press against the armature. Inspect the face of brushes and clean the armature. As you exercise the brushes to check their movement, use a wood stick to prevent any scratches on the face of the brush. I save chopsticks, big heavy toothpicks from sandwiches etc. in my toolbox just for things like this.
Many times, the brushes can be pushed back to a lock position to insert the armature in between the brushes, then release them on the armature. The step motor brushes work that way, you'll just have to test this motor.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. Do you think it's possible to find replacement brushes? If so where should I look for them. Never buying brushes before, how do you find the correct size to fit your application.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Well I broke down and ordered the pump from ITR. Just got it installed. Wasn't to hard to replace old one. I will caution you to watch all the wiring and move carefully. They are very brittle from all the extreme heat. I bumped one and had to stop the pump install to splice the wire back together.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:09 PM   #7

Any one have a picture of the compressor and where it is located? I have replaced the Summer Loop pump twice so know what it lookes like and where the pumps are located, but never seen the compressor.

Thanks, just expecting upcoming problems with the Oasis.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No picture, but it’s a black box 2” square in the upper left hand corner of the burner unit. If you DYI ge annual service it’s the device you install an air filter in.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Not a great picture, was trying to get info off the label.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230108_181431166.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	385462

Tags
compressor, heat, heater, oasis