Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

Oasis heater help

Have a 2011 Essex with the Oasis water heater and here is my issue and question. When we start any trip I turn on the burner but it does not start most of the time. Once we stop I have to reset it several times before it will fire up. There is a panel next to it with a switch that says "Bypass" with a rocker switch. If I turn it on and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes, then the oasis fires up. Should I leave the bypass on all the time?

Thanks for any help as my wife is not happy and you know how that goes.....
Troden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #2

You sure it isn't already hot from running down the road? Engine heats the water when traveling. Do you turn it on with the E-Plex? Do you leave the 120Volt heater on when plugged into shore power? I just use burner when taking showers or for winter heat.

Get a-hold of Roger Burke here on the forum. He knows everything about them.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

The unit is hot after traveling, but at the faucet no hot water. Seems to me that there has to be a flow switch somewhere that sticks. Once it fires up, it will function for the duration of the stay.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Oasis

Troden - I went to an Oasis seminar (taught by one of the Oasis factory guys). He said the "bypass" switch is only used for maintenance. There's a misconception that there's a "summer bypass" mode: there's no summer bypass mode. In summer your thermostat won't be calling for heat at the radiators (they call them convectors) so the only flow of hot coolant will be to your domestic water. We have an 11 Essex with the Oasis---and when the system is first turned and the burner is armed, the burner fires up. But if we have had the electric elements on (check your E-plex panel, you have electric element #1 and #2) the burner won't fire up immediately because the water is already hot. In fact our burner malfunctioned and we went all summer using the electric elements only for hot domestic water and seemed to have plenty of hot water for showers. If you're not getting hot water from the faucets and the burner hasn't fired up then you have some kind of problem. Put another way, cold water from the faucets (allowing for the water in the lines between the faucet and the Oasis) should cause the burner to fire up. Hope this helps. Joel
joelyn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

joelyn5, That is the issue, oasis burner is switched on, but no hot water at the faucets or shower however if I turn on the "Bypass" switch for a few minutes then it fires and I get hot water until I run the main engine again. Then I have to go thru the process again. Looks like I need to find a service center in Dallas.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have the electric elements turned on?

Have you called the manufacturer? There's a guy that's the US service rep that will call you back and walk through the issue with you. He diagnosed a bad thermocouple sensor on mine (which might be the problem you're having), and also a bad fuel pump. In both cases they sent me the part and I installed it myself.

Contact Us | International Thermal Research

joe
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
A little more info on the thermocouple -

The hot water comes from a transfer loop inside the heat exchanger. The water in the exchanger is hot, and when you turn on hot water somewhere, it flows out of the exchanger. When the thermocouple on the output pipe gets cold, it turns the burners/elements on. A couple seconds later you get hot water again. That's why you sometimes get an initial burst of hot, then colder, then hot again for the duration.

That thermocouple does go bad, and then no hot water unless you force the burner/elements on. Either by turning on heat somewhere else, or using the bypass switch. You don't want to leave the bypass on, because then the system never turns off. For the couple days until I got the replacement part, I just turned the bypass on while we took our showers, then turned it back off again.

joe
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

Oasis

When you turn on bypass, loops 1 and 2 pumps start, when they are running they heat the summer loop at the same time. When the unit is in normal mode (non bypass) the summer loop pump, much smaller, runs to heat the domestic heat exchanger providing you with domestic hot water. There is a small flapper in the output of the summer loop pump that prevents the antifreeze mixture from running through the summerloop backwards. I have seem this flapper stick shut from being run in bypass mode for a long time. After a long disassembly you can get to the t manifold from the summer loop pump and can loosen the flapper. I have had success doing this several times on different units without replacing the summer loof t manifold.
King Aire is offline   Reply With Quote