Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

OASIS Heater module fault (Flame Out) in cold weather??

Our 2017 Dutch Star 4310 OASIS has been working flawlessly the last two months. The minute we get up to Estes Park (7500' elevation and mid 30s and below freezing), i get a heater zone fault on my oasis panel. On the Oasis unit, it shuts off in about 15 seconds and the Flame Out light comes on. I just had the unit serviced in January and have had no issues otherwise. It will reset and fire back up when i turn the switch off inside the coach and turn it back on. But after we're done showering, etc, the red light comes back on.

Anyone have any thoughts??
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #2

OASIS Heater module fault in cold weather??

I pulled the covers off and looked at the nozzle. Everything was covered in black soot... Probably not a good sign. I unscrewed the nozzle tip and plan to clean/blow it out tmrw and make sure it’s not clogged. Could the elevation/cold create a fuel/air mixture issue that caused the soot build up???
Old 05-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #3

Upon pulling everything out, I noticed some gunk built up around the edge of where the flame goes into the chamber. My thought was this was causing the flame sensor from being able to read properly, but once I had it all back together, it was still doing the same thing. When the unit is running, will the red light in the flame sensor be consistently on or will it flicker as the flame flickers? If not, I might have a flame issue, leading to an elevation/air issue? I checked all the hoses — all were good. I’ll be checking the air filter tmrw and cleaning out the nozzle/tip as well. So frustrating in sub freezing temps with a wife and 3 kids who like long hot showers!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
Upon pulling everything out, I noticed some gunk built up around the edge of where the flame goes into the chamber. My thought was this was causing the flame sensor from being able to read properly, but once I had it all back together, it was still doing the same thing. When the unit is running, will the red light in the flame sensor be consistently on or will it flicker as the flame flickers? If not, I might have a flame issue, leading to an elevation/air issue? I checked all the hoses — all were good. I’ll be checking the air filter tmrw and cleaning out the nozzle/tip as well. So frustrating in sub freezing temps with a wife and 3 kids who like long hot showers!

Sorry for your troubles. Must be frustrating. Since you just had it serviced and it worked fine until you went to higher elevation it could be an air fuel mixture issue as you suspect. I would call the folks at ITR ( (Oasis) 800 993 4402 and talk to them. They are extremely helpful.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Sorry for your troubles. Must be frustrating. Since you just had it serviced and it worked fine until you went to higher elevation it could be an air fuel mixture issue as you suspect. I would call the folks at ITR ( (Oasis) 800 993 4402 and talk to them. They are extremely helpful.

Thanks. I did this morning. Apparently I need to remove the nozzle assembly and test how far the diesel fuel will spray to determine if the diaphragms are bad... we’re headed back down off the mountain towards Denver so I’m going to test it then and see what happens. There are a few oasis service centers in the area.

Thx for the reply.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. I did this morning. Apparently I need to remove the nozzle assembly and test how far the diesel fuel will spray to determine if the diaphragms are bad... we’re headed back down off the mountain towards Denver so I’m going to test it then and see what happens. There are a few oasis service centers in the area.

Thx for the reply.
Let us know what you find, your issue is knew compared to what we typically read about.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Let us know what you find, your issue is knew compared to what we typically read about.

Will do. That’s why it’s frustrating. What is weird is when I do the “reset” test by holding the reset and bypass buttons on the unit simultaneously and then release the “reset” button but hold the bypass, it goes into a “test” mode that runs the burner for 2 minutes and the combustion fan for two minutes with no issues.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2014 DS, I had recently serviced the unit, but it quit a short time later while on a trip. I saved the old ignitor and installed it. Problem solved. The fairly new ignitor quit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #9

Well, we made it back down out of the mountains and so far so good. Haven’t had a flame out yet, even at 5500’ in Denver. I’m pretty confident it was an air/fuel mixture ratio that was causing the issue... I’ll update after we get a full nights use of showers and laundry.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #10

Well, after having the same reoccurring issues of flame outs and now at 9500’ in Breckenridge with no flame whatsoever, I have discovered the diaphragms in the pumps are torn. So lack of Oxygen at elevation and damaged rubber lead to no flame. ITR has been great on the phone! They’re overnighting some new parts and we should hopefully be back in business

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5640.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	327957

Name:	IMG_5641.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	327958

Name:	IMG_5642.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	327959
Old 05-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well, after having the same reoccurring issues of flame outs and now at 9500’ in Breckenridge with no flame whatsoever, I have discovered the diaphragms in the pumps are torn. So lack of Oxygen at elevation and damaged rubber lead to no flame. ITR has been great on the phone! They’re overnighting some new parts and we should hopefully be back in business

I read about all the folks with some of the Oasis models and I’m thankful I have the NES like you do Kpecks. Open the bay door remove the screws while sitting on an upside down 5gal bucket and full access is right there.

I had to replace one of the 2 cables that runs from the NES to the zone board back in January when it was freezing out. Newmar had it twisted into a pretzel up at the frame. I rerouted both cables using plastic cable clamps using those front mounted screws. I’m hoping I get more than 18months from the new cable with the rerouting. My problem was that the diesel burner would not engage at all (no light on panel in drivers overhead).

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
I read about all the folks with some of the Oasis models and I’m thankful I have the NES like you do Kpecks. Open the bay door remove the screws while sitting on an upside down 5gal bucket and full access is right there.

I had to replace one of the 2 cables that runs from the NES to the zone board back in January when it was freezing out. Newmar had it twisted into a pretzel up at the frame. I rerouted both cables using plastic cable clamps using those front mounted screws. I’m hoping I get more than 18months from the new cable with the rerouting. My problem was that the diesel burner would not engage at all (no light on panel in drivers overhead).

- Richard
I agree...those of us with the 4310’s have a better time getting at the Oasis....
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #13

Well, the saga continued... the main hot water pump inside the oasis died and I still was getting a flame out issue. The guys at ITR are amazing. They overnighted a new pump and a new control panel under warranty! The pump was a pain to install due to access to the mounts and the hoses/clamps were troublesome too but I managed to get everything apart and back together and we’re finally back in business. The control panel had a software update that allows the two air compressors to operate at different voltages.

I think what was happening is when another high amperage kicks on, it was causing a dip in the voltage of one of the pumps causing the control panel to shut down.

Either way, MANY thanks to ITR. They answered all my questions and then some.

Tags
heater, oasis, heat, cold weather