Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Oasis Hydronic Maintenance

Just completed the 5 year maintenance program on our Oasis heating system. I ordered the kit from ITR (800-993-4402). Kevin or Jesse were great. I have some mechanical skills but I am certainly no expert. They directed me to their youTube (just goggle) repair video (1 & 5 year) which made the procedure very simple.
One of the maintenance items is the nozzle. It should be cleaned every year & replaced every 5. The nozzle has the date stamped on the side. The date on our nozzle was 10/07. This was truly an easy maintenance exercise minimizing potential failures & saving us repair $$.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

I have been thinking about doing this myself.

What was the cost of kit and what did it include?

Also, did it include the electric elements? I have been wondering if mine need to be changed. Our water is hot be I doubt it would burn you (DW wants it hotter.)

-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oasis service

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
I have been thinking about doing this myself.

What was the cost of kit and what did it include?

Also, did it include the electric elements? I have been wondering if mine need to be changed. Our water is hot be I doubt it would burn you (DW wants it hotter.)

-B
Hi John!,

Funny you mentioned this as I was just watching the oasis annual service video today. My MA was serviced last April just before we took delivery but I'll do the annual service when we get to our summer location in Maine. Looks super easy on the 1 year, but I can't find a video for the 5 year (including the ITR "training videos page" video).

On the heat of your water... there may well be a setting on the unit... I'm not aware of one. But I would wonder if your hot water is only an issue in the shower? Does it seem plenty hot in your sinks? Ours will nearly burn you. But if it was only the shower that isn't "hot enough", I'd wonder about the mixing valve for the shower. Just a thought.

I'm also planning to change the oil in the Onan as well as it's fuel filter and possibly flush/replace the coolant there too.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I remember somewhere that there was a small adjustment you can make to increase the temp. Ill see if I can find it.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the way to make the adjustment assuming everything else working normally.
A thermostatic mixing valve located inside the distribution
module (DM12) allows for adjusting the temperature of the
domestic hot water. The mixing valve is factory set to limit the
maximum water temperature to 120ºF (49°C) with a total hot
water demand of 1.5 GPM or less, and an incoming water
temperature of 60ºF (15ºC) or higher.
To adjust the mixing valve, the front cover of the DM12 has to
be removed; to do this, remove the 6 Philips head screws
holding the front cover to the case.
Turning the mixing valve knob left (clockwise from top view will increase the hot water outlet temperature and turning the knob right (counter-clockwise) will decrease the temperature.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

The 5 year kit delivered was $319.

You get a new fuel filter, air filter, igniter, flame sensor & nozzle
Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

How is the 5 year kit different than the annual kit?
ScottyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

The difference is that you clean the nozzle (it is 2 parts) & replace the o-ring. There is a stone filter in the fuel block that should be replaced. Replace the air filter. Your burn box might need cleaning using steel or an abrasive pad. The igniter & flame sensor generally do not need replacing.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftiernay View Post
The difference is that you clean the nozzle (it is 2 parts) & replace the o-ring. There is a stone filter in the fuel block that should be replaced. Replace the air filter. Your burn box might need cleaning using steel or an abrasive pad. The igniter & flame sensor generally do not need replacing.

Thank you. I just did the annual maintenance
ScottyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #10

Oasis Hydronic Maintenance

The annual kit is 128.50 on Amazon. It includes

Gar-bet fuel filter & O-ring,
Igniter,
Air filter,
Fuel nozzle stone.

5 year kits include a new nozzle and flame sensor. Amazon also list a 3 year kit which has all the annual stuff and the flame sensor.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #11

I also installed an annual maintenance kit a month ago and did the important task of cleaning the fuel nozzle. As others have said, it is very easy following the YouTube video. A Newmar dealer wanted 2 hours of labor to do it and it only took my one hour doing it the first time. You will need a fuel filter wrench and a spray can of carburetor or brake cleaner to clean the nozzle.

To get at the temperature mixing valve to adjust the hot water temperature you will need to get into the DM12 distribution module (box)usually located behind the Oasis CH50 burner module (box). This access is usually from the passenger side of the coach basement and a basement wall may have to be removed to get to the module. Then you need to unscrew the metal module side cover and remove it to see the mixing valve. The International Thermal Research website has 4 excellent manuals you can download and that are a must if you have an Oasis unit. The Installation and Operating Manual for the CH50 and DM12 describes how to adjust the hot water temperature mixing valve on page 9-15 and there is an illustration of where the valve is located on the next page. Sorry I have no idea how to add a link here.

RetireeKeith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #12

I forgot to mention the question fome BrokeDown about replacing the electric elements. I asked the very experienced service manager at Freedom RV, the busy Newmar dealer in Tucson, about replacing the electric heating elements since the ITR manual suggests replacing them around 5 years. He told me that as long as he has been there, they have never replaced a single electric heating element on an Oasis unit.

Next time I talk to Kevin or Jessie in customer service at ITR, I will ask them about it. BTW, those 2 guys are very helpful if you have questions or problems.

RetireeKeith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #13

[QUOTE=AzGoldDigger;3526309]The annual kit is 128.50 on Amazon. It includes

Gar-bet fuel filter & O-ring,
Igniter,
Air filter,
Fuel nozzle stone.

5 year kits include a new nozzle and flame sensor. Amazon also list a 3 year kit which has all the annual stuff and the flame sensor.[/QUOTe

Is Amazon's price better than ITR?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #14

Don't know. Went to ITR's website and did not see any way to order anything directly from them.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance