Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Oasis service

I'm getting ready to service my oasis system. The videos online are straight forward. I have one dumb question. The directions state to fill the new filter with diesel before installing. I don't have any fuel on hand. Will it be enough to just dump fuel from the old filter into the new? Do I need to purge air from the line? Can I just keep restarting the burner until the filter fills? Thanks for the help!
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

Yes you can dump diesel from old to new filter- just be sure it's full so you don't have air in it - I use a little diesel fuel stabilizer - Stabil- or diesel fuel additive to finish filling mine if I spill a little fuel.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

Don't pour the contents of the old filter into the new, you are pouring what was filtered into the new filter.
Assuming the new filter holds one qt., buy a qt. of power service diesel kleen fuel additive to pre-fill the filter. This has an added benefit of cleaning the entire fuel system downstream from the filter.
I have done this using Power Service 9-1-1 emergency anti-gelling additive, but I doubt it has any cleaning effect.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #4

Your suggesting that dumping dirty fuel out of the old filter into the new one is the way to go ?

Filters collect grime and water, any fuel in an old filter is bad.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keeping a couple of quarts of Power Service Diesel Kleen is good for an on road emergency if you need to change fuel filters. It's readily available at Walmart.

Only in an emergency would I ever use the old diesel fuel from the filter. I just changed my fuel filters the other day and the fuel that I poured out was pretty clean, but it goes against my grain to ever use it, unless I absolutely had to.

With that said, anything you add to a new filter should be poured into the filter around the outer edges, keeping the center hole plugged with a cap or a clean thumb. That way, whatever you add will get filtered before going into the system.

Lastly, when changing the Oasis ignitor, note it's position "clocking" as it only goes back in one way, so the retention clip will fit. Keep the ignitor as a spare, as I've had one go bad in between servicing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I changed the filter in my oasis I knew I was going to have to fill the filter so I bought a small 1 gallon gas can and filled it with diesel fuel to fill the filter. What was left afterward I poured in the fuel tank.

I didn’t know if I could use Power Service straight or not…. But if you can, that would be the way to go….
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
When I changed the filter in my oasis I knew I was going to have to fill the filter so I bought a small 1 gallon gas can and filled it with diesel fuel to fill the filter. What was left afterward I poured in the fuel tank.

I didn’t know if I could use Power Service straight or not…. But if you can, that would be the way to go….
That's exactly what I do as well. However I also carry extra Power Service Diesel Kleen with me in case I need to do an emergency filter change while on the road. I haven't needed to do that yet but it is better to be ready than to be caught unprepared.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Where is the best place to get the kit?
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I buy mine directly from ITR (Oasis), the last one was about $110.00, which includes the filter, ignitor and a couple of air filters. I think others may have pieced together kits from other sources. I prefer to go to the manufacturer.

NOTE:...On one occasion in the past, I had an ignitor go bad while on the road. I keep a spare service kit with me at all times and swap it out with the new one when I do a service. I used to service the Oasis once a year, but for the few times we use the diesel burner, I now do it every two years and change the fuel filter about every 4-5 years. It just doesn't see that much fuel flow.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #10

Correct or not, it works. When changing engine or Oasis filters, I buy a quart (or 2) of automatic trans fluid to pre-fill the new filter.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with DSD.
ITR isn't the cheapest, but I know I'm getting OEM and the best quality.
I keep the old ignitor as a spare in case of emergency.
I always fill the new filter with clean fuel with a plug in the center hole and fill around the perimeter. I also pinch the fuel lines to avoid any spillage.
Previous coach had an AquaHot. Oasis is so much easier to service.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks DSD and MikeyG....
Will be ordering in the morning.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
10-4 Tom.
See ya at the end of April.
Looking forward to the rally.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote