RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #1

Oasis with higher flow water pump

For those that have the Oasis for hot water:

I currently have a shureflow 4008 3GPM pump. I have been wanting to replace this pump with something that is quieter and has better flow. Don't know for sure, but, I think I may have toasted the last pump by leaving it on with no water in the tank (for winterizing I left the water pump switch on). I am thinking one of the variable speed pumps for a replacement.
The question I have is for those that have the Oasis and changed their water pump to like the Flojet VSP 5 GPM or the 55-AQUAJET ARV 5.3 GPM, could the Oasis keep up with the hot water demand in the shower with the higher flow pump?
If there is a problem, the 55-AQUAJET AES 3.5GPM might be the better choice.

Pump recommendations that have worked well?

2010 Dutchstar 4333

Thanks for any help

lbnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a post I made a few years ago, that explains Oasis use and how water temp can affect your Oasis unit and how to adjust for it.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oas...es-229100.html

If you think about it, when you're hooked up to city water with good flow, you'll be pushing more water through the Oasis unit than with the pump. If the water coming from the city connection is 35 degrees, you'll need to run the burner portion of the Oasis, versus just electric 1 or 2. If the water coming from the city connection is 70 degrees, you can a good hot shower, just running the Oasis unit on one electric element (AC1).

If the weather is below freeing, you're better off using your onboard water, already wared up in the bay and then replenish later.

So......a lot depends on both flow and water temp. The coldest we've camped in has been 22 degrees and the Oasis burner provided plenty of HOT water. As you get more familiar with how the Oasis performs n different temps, you'll soon earn what to set the Oasis at...AC1, AC2 or both with burner on.

Go for at least a 5gpm variable speed pump like a Flowjet VSP.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks Dutch Star Don,
Quite the write up. Great point, I did not think about is when on city water I run the burner and never run out.

So if pump flow does not exceed city I am good to go.

I have read a older post that the poster had a problem with oasis keeping up with his new pump flow rate.

It must have been attributed to other factors .
Is the flow jet quieter than your original pump?
Old 02-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had three DP's and I changed the pump out on each one to the Flowjet. It's quiet because it's variable speed.

On my 2019 Dutch Star, I left the stock pump in place and mounted the new one on the bay floor. I put electrical ends on the old pump and new pump so I could switch between the two if I had a failure. The plumbing connections were movable from one pump to the other and were a direct fit.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

Dutch Star Don,
I am going to follow your lead. I have ordered the Flowjet V 5gpm.
Thanks for the Info. I'll probably install in about a week or 2.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

We use the Aquajet 5.3. Itís been a great pump. Our entire coach is on RO water so the Aquajet is our only source. At 60psi, you canít tell a difference between shore and coach. No difference noted in the Oasis function. Taking Donís idea, chose to leave the oem pump in place as a backup.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

Thanks, I was going back and forth between Aquajet and Flojet. I think they are close in performance and I cannot find much negative feedback on either one. I think if I do the install good I would be happy with either one. If my original pump survived me accidental leaving it running after winterizing (i dont know how long but I would guess a couple months) I will leave it in as backup. I don't have much hope it is ok so I took the oppurtunity to upgrade.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've had three DP's and I changed the pump out on each one to the Flowjet. It's quiet because it's variable speed.

On my 2019 Dutch Star, I left the stock pump in place and mounted the new one on the bay floor. I put electrical ends on the old pump and new pump so I could switch between the two if I had a failure. The plumbing connections were movable from one pump to the other and were a direct fit.
Don,

I am wanting to change my pump to a better one and like the flojet. Is it a straight swap or is there other things to do?

Thanks
Mark
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2019 DS, I mounted it to the wet bay floor. I was able to disconnect the hoses from the OEM unit and direct connect it with no modifications. I put connectors on both the OEM pump and the new pump, so I could power ether one by just switching connections.

It's been a long tome since I changed out the unit on my 2014 DS, but I believe that one was also pretty straight forward.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnaz View Post
For those that have the Oasis for hot water:

I currently have a shureflow 4008 3GPM pump. I have been wanting to replace this pump with something that is quieter and has better flow. Don't know for sure, but, I think I may have toasted the last pump by leaving it on with no water in the tank (for winterizing I left the water pump switch on). I am thinking one of the variable speed pumps for a replacement.
The question I have is for those that have the Oasis and changed their water pump to like the Flojet VSP 5 GPM or the 55-AQUAJET ARV 5.3 GPM, could the Oasis keep up with the hot water demand in the shower with the higher flow pump?
If there is a problem, the 55-AQUAJET AES 3.5GPM might be the better choice.

Pump recommendations that have worked well?

2010 Dutchstar 4333

Thanks for any help

I put in the 3.5 Aquajet because at the time I was deciding I spoke to the Oasis techs and they advised it would be safer to use the 3.5. because of the very question you’re asking. I asked them the same question. Of course, if the 5 does work fine, then I would definitely go with it. I just didn’t want to take that chance. Dutch Star Don seems to understand this a lot better than I do so go for the 5. His explanation makes sense. Regardless, the Aquajet is a great pump. I’ve had it for almost 4 years and have had no issues with it. Just keep an eye on the filter and keep it clean.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also did my changeout based on DSD recommendations. I replaced by Shurflo pump with a Remco 55AQUAJET-ARV variable speed pump. Its nice having a steady flow of water instead of the pulsating that I previously had. No problem with Oasis keeping up. I'm not sure that the shower can utilize the 5 gpm that the pump can deliver. This pump provides enough throughput that the shower isn't starved when somene flushes the toilet.

Here's a writeup on my changeout include a few pictures.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wat...ml#post4876201
flyboy013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Flyboy, nice retrofit for the pump. Couple questions for you. What causes the pulsating from the water pump you mentioned? Where did you get the two hoses you have from the water faucet you have installed. I am looking for that exact connection to the hot and cold faucets I installed on my coach.

Not intending to hyjack this thread but it is all part of the same info.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
What causes the pulsating from the water pump you mentioned?
The OEM Shurflo pump works by constantly supplying/removing power to the pump. There is an inline pressure switch at the bottom of the pump which is constantly opening/closing. The pump constantly turning on/off is what's causing the pulsating. The switch also has a limited lifespan. It was the switch that failed in my first pump.

The variable speed pump turns on when water is called for and the speed is based on the demand, thus there is no pressure switch constantly turning the pump on and off.

Quote:
Where did you get the two hoses you have from the water faucet you have installed. I am looking for that exact connection to the hot and cold faucets I installed on my coach.
I replaced the OEM faucet with cold and hot water bibs. I believe I got them at Lowes. The hose is a standard washing machine Y hose. I also have a quick connect on the end of it to easily move my coiled hose/nozzle from the wet bay to the tee that I have connected to the pedestal bib.
flyboy013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #14

Thanks Guys,
My pump has come in and I will install in about a week. It is still too cold up here at night to de winterize so I will wait till I go down south in about a week.

I got a Sanicon 500S on the way to install as well. Looking forward to the upgrades.

Tags
oasis, pump, water, water pump