Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Off road toad

We're undecided about a toad; specifically whether we should consider an off roadable vehicle like a Jeep or stick to a practical commuter car. For all those 4X4 toaders do you off road much? We'd probably be more interested in gentle/med off roading. Is there much at that level out there & is it worth getting a Jeep for? Thank you!
Lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

Its a "Jeep Thing".....if you don't get it--then don't get one...you will be sorry if you do...go for bland and stay on the black-top [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We wouldn't be without our Jeep. And, Yes ... there are tons of places for "gentle/med" offroading. Turn off on any Forest Service or BLM maintained road and enjoy the sightseeing. For a real treat, spend some time in the Moab, UT area and explore the thousands of miles of offroad trails from mild to "There is NO WAY I will try that!". We don't do anything that anyone would consider "extreme" but we really love getting off the beaten path and poking around the back country.

One of our first stops in any new area is a visit to the local BLM office/Ranger Station to pick up a map and plan our routes.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love our Jeep! Picture taken in Uinta National Forest, Utah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3435.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	176548  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We JEEP
Old 09-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We tow a 2014 Honda CR-V AWD. If road conditions are so bad that we can't drive it to where we want to go, we don't go. My experience with Jeep products is that they are not very comfortable to ride in on a daily basis. YMMV
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We've towed a Wrangler Sahara for 5 years now. Is it a bit rough? Yes. Is it a perfect smooth road car? No. However it's great fun for exploring anywhere on any surface. And so easy to hookup....transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, pull the key out of the ignition and go!
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #8

Off road toad

I picked up a GC Summit and it gives me most of the 4 wheel off road features along with the luxury interior of a premium car. It is a compromise for true off roading but really nice on the highways. The trailhawk would also be a way to go.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #9

Another 4WD option would be a Samurai or Tracker, although they aren't available new. That's what we've been towing for the last 15 years. Compared with a Jeep, they're smaller, lighter, and get better gas mileage. It's not that I'm "anti-Jeep", I've had several, it's just that for towing I prefer smaller, lighter, and better gas mileage. IMHO, the Sammi is more "off road" while the Tracker is more suitable for on/off road. With manual shift either can be towed without modifications by placing hubs out, trans in gear, and transfer in neutral. I added drive line disconnects to ours because we tow them coast to coast annually at 70 or so mph.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We Jeep, 4 door with the rear seats down has a lot of room for our two Australian Shepherds
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We do medium off-roading and still enjoy a comfortable ride with our Chev Trailblazer LTZ 4wd. Easy to tow 4 down, neutral, selector sw to hidden position and go. No steering wheel locks, fuse pulling, limited tow mileage etc.
Unfortunately they are no longer available or we would purchase another one on the spot as ours has 260,000mi under power and another 60,000 towing. Comes in at 4,800# so is under the 5k towing limit of some rv's.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot View Post
We're undecided about a toad; specifically whether we should consider an off roadable vehicle like a Jeep or stick to a practical commuter car. For all those 4X4 toaders do you off road much? We'd probably be more interested in gentle/med off roading. Is there much at that level out there & is it worth getting a Jeep for? Thank you!
If you like to hike, they're invaluable because they can take you to just about any trailhead.

They are great for exploring the national & state forest roads that would beat up a standard passenger car too much.

I'm surprised how comfortable ours is as a commuter vehicle. I've also been surprised at how much the dog likes riding in it.

Our only regret is that we didn't get one years ago.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4, V6, auto and it runs with the Jeeps in Death Valley off-roading. It is much more comfortable when driving on the highway, and the truck bed can carry much more than a Jeep. When I drop the tail gate and start the BBQ the Jeepers with their PB&J sandwiches complained it was not fair when I broiled some kalbasa and toasted the bread.
I use a DSC (drive shaft disconnect) for 4 down towing and a lazy man's hookup system from Roadmaster with US Gear brake system.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
We have owned 12 jeeps from a 1949 cj3a to a 2012 jk . All have left me on the side of the road! 4 of them we have towed behind our mh. I found all to have awful road manners,water leaks,air leaks,road noise, low on power,bad fuel mileage and to small.We now tow tahoes or suburbans. That being said would i buy another??? Maybe,they are fun,its a jeep thing!! As stated above if i cant get the suburban there i should'nt be there.
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad