RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oil Filters and Amazon, What Gives ?

Was just looking for prices on oil filters. My Cummins uses the Fleetguard LF9009. The Cummins dealer gets close to $53. for a single filter. Amazon gets $33.54 for one or $48.54 for a 2 pack and free delivery.
Am i missing something or have i been getting beat up for the last few years?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #2

Yes, check for permanent injuries and bruises

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

No doubt you can beat THAT price too. Rare that Amazon is the lowest on anything. RockAuto sometimes is but you have to factor in shipping. You might find a better/cheaper provider.

I'm silly enough to have an older German car. Locally I can buy a new head gasket for it for $36. Not bad if it weren't an iffy brand name. Or I can order the exact correct gasket made by the people that originally supplied the gaskets to the factory for $18 plus a couple of dollar to ship it to the opposite end of the country. I just had to look around a bit. And have patience.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i used to use rvchassis for fluid filters and all the annual stuff.
last few years i have searched filter barn amazon and a few others..
this year amazon beat everyone and free shipping. crazy thing is fuel filters came from a different vendor than the oil filter

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

It's the overhead of sticks, bricks, and people at that darn Cummins shop. If they could lower their prices to compete with Amazon and still provide a physical presence, I'm sure they would.

I had the same problem when I owned a tech shop. People would beat me up with internet prices, buy somewhere else, and then expect me to give them free support while they attempt to install, maintain, and troubleshoot it.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #6

Quick internet search is all it takes. Today...$31.99 and free shipping at 4 States Trucking. But sounds like the 2-pack is the way to go!
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I normally order them from Amazon - I just watch the price because it will go up and down - I've found them to be good priced normally, but have see that filter as high as $53 depending on the timing & if it's being sold by a 3rd party vendor.

got one last sept 19 for 29.44
Old 03-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
It's the overhead of sticks, bricks, and people at that darn Cummins shop. If they could lower their prices to compete with Amazon and still provide a physical presence, I'm sure they would.

I had the same problem when I owned a tech shop. People would beat me up with internet prices, buy somewhere else, and then expect me to give them free support while they attempt to install, maintain, and troubleshoot it.
Very good points and it's a real problem for retail shops. I am fairly immune though since I do all my own work from body and paint to engine and transmission rebuilds. Some of the engine machine work I have to send out. So where I buy MY parts doesn't really come into play. I am NOT the guy that goes somewhere with my own oil and filter looking to pay someone just to change the oil for me. Cheap.

My daughter spends a bit more her dog's medication by getting it from the local vet. She was carrying on about how much she was saving by getting the same stuff online cheaper. I told her the vet made part of his income off that stuff. If her little dog got hit by a car or swallowed something he shouldn't, would the internet people help? Or would the vet drop what he was doing in the middle of the night to try and save her dog? She figured it out.

So you have to pick your scenarios I guess.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Very good points and it's a real problem for retail shops. I am fairly immune though since I do all my own work from body and paint to engine and transmission rebuilds. Some of the engine machine work I have to send out. So where I buy MY parts doesn't really come into play. I am NOT the guy that goes somewhere with my own oil and filter looking to pay someone just to change the oil for me. Cheap.

My daughter spends a bit more her dog's medication by getting it from the local vet. She was carrying on about how much she was saving by getting the same stuff online cheaper. I told her the vet made part of his income off that stuff. If her little dog got hit by a car or swallowed something he shouldn't, would the internet people help? Or would the vet drop what he was doing in the middle of the night to try and save her dog? She figured it out.

So you have to pick your scenarios I guess.
My lift pump was leaking. Made an appt. with my local HDT repair shop. I figure the first pump lasted 20 years, by the time #2 fails I'll be too old to climb in the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post
Was just looking for prices on oil filters. My Cummins uses the Fleetguard LF9009. The Cummins dealer gets close to $53. for a single filter. Amazon gets $33.54 for one or $48.54 for a 2 pack and free delivery.
Am i missing something or have i been getting beat up for the last few years?
Message to all on this!!!

Counterfeit parts are running rampant on Amazon.

They look exactly like original equipment but are cheap chinese copies.

Make sure the supplier is an authorized Cummins or Freightliner dealer.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought filters from Find it Parts
JP

https://www.finditparts.com

ABP N122R50419 by FREIGHTLINER
Alliance Fuel/Water Separator Filter 1 $31.11

BF7924 by BALDWIN
Fuel Filter. 1 $18.61

BD7309 by BALDWIN
Lube Filter 1 $38.09

FF105 by FLEETGUARD
Fuel Filter 1 $9.88
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:40 AM   #12

Over the years, I have learned to purchase high quality parts, either OEM or from another high quality provider. Cheap parts usually give you cheap service. I don't remember having problems with high quality parts, but I can remember cheap parts problems until I learned that lesson.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
Message to all on this!!!

Counterfeit parts are running rampant on Amazon.

They look exactly like original equipment but are cheap chinese copies.

Make sure the supplier is an authorized Cummins or Freightliner dealer.
Recently received golf cart filters that were knock offs

For the HD filters always order through a vendor that specializes in HD diesel engines

No old stock or knock offs
Old 03-11-2020, 05:18 AM   #14

Like the last couple of posters said, be very careful of knockoffs on Amazon. I don't buy any engine parts on Amazon. Look very carefully at the picture of the filter on Amazon. Last I looked the picture of the filter on Amazon had printing that did not look like it came from Fleetguard.
I buy all my filters from the local Cummins dealer. Cheaper than NAPA.

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote