Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Question Oil leak issue

Early in the last couple of trips out, I've been having an issue with my rig losing power and the check engine light comes on. I am able to pull over, turn it off and then start it again and proceed. After a while, it seems to work itself out and doesn't happen again. We arrived at our destination yesterday to see our tow vehicle and the back of the rig covered in oil. Any suggestions of what I should be checking for first?
Geomar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #2

Need more information re; year, rigg, eng etc.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #3

My first move would be to display the PID/MID codes from the dashboard Information display. Use the down arrow button to navigate down to the diagnostics menu and the right arrow button to display the codes. The codes can be interpreted from a number of online sources. Use the source appropriate for your engine.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 08-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
Early in the last couple of trips out, I've been having an issue with my rig losing power and the check engine light comes on. I am able to pull over, turn it off and then start it again and proceed. After a while, it seems to work itself out and doesn't happen again. We arrived at our destination yesterday to see our tow vehicle and the back of the rig covered in oil. Any suggestions of what I should be checking for first?

GeorgeA, we need more details. What breed of rig are we talking about?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
Need more information re; year, rigg, eng etc.
Newmar 2002 Dutchstar, 33o cat motor.
Geomar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 2004 DSDP 3810 with a 330 Cat. The oil pressure sensor on top, next to the valve cover had a o ring failure. Oil covered my toad. We originally replaced the valve cover gasket but the leak continued. The shop in Stockton CA found the problem. It is a cheap fix to replace the o ring. Good luck.

DickW
Blue Skies and Safe Travels
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

OK--lose of power, check engine light, oil on towed--sounds like more than an o-ring issue....believe the check engine light gives you the best course of action...hopefully the check engine light thru a code that has been captured in the engine ECM....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
Newmar 2002 Dutchstar, 33o cat motor.
Okay, have you looked in the engine compartment for signs of oil? Could be carryover from the crankcase breather, are you sure you did not overfill?
Could also be a leaking oil pressure sender. Give the engine a good bath and see if you can find the source of the leak.
Check Engine light. Do you wait until the WAIT Light goes out before you start the engine? Starting before this light clears can cause your CEL.
Find the source of the leak and go from there.

Tags
leak