RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

Oily dampness at rear of unit on carpet

We have a 2011 Canyon Star 3810 gas model. We are very happy with our unit. Last year 2012 we have a problem with dampness appearing at the rear of the unit in the bedroom at the back right corner. Of course when we took it into our dealer it was dry and they had know idea what the problem could be. I noticed when inspecting near the back bumper that the insulation Newmar had installed was saturated from rain water and when we stop an oily but clear fluid drips from the back rght corner for about 1 hour. Sometime it has appeared on the carpet where the slide's roller has been after the slide is moved out. Anybody out there had a similar problem. I recently noticed we had a stain on the wood work at the base by the carpet and inside the travel heater.

irvwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked the rear end axle drive vent at the top to see if oil is coming out of vent. May want to check oil level in differential.
The bedroom slide left side is the last opening in that wall surface if the slide is not tight into recess of wall the air draft that maybe set up while driving maybe sucking in water and road grime into coach.
If there is a slite gap may need to adjust pot on controller for slide to tighten pressure on that vertical rubber gasket.
A picture of insulation location may help with that should all be enclosed in a wall not exposed as you say.
Most floors to slide are inside coach above finished sub-floor, how its getting on bedroom rug is a good question.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi irvwood,
The first question is, is the dampness there after travel in the rain or after the coach has been sitting for a while. If the dampness occurs after the coach has been sitting for a while, one must start at the roof seams, then go to the slide. The slide has seals all around. For the roof seams, consider cleaning the seams and covering with EternaBond. Once covered with EternaBond one can forget about a leak for 10 years.

If the dampness comes after traveling in the rain, one needs to add under the coach to the areas to look at. Being behind the rear wheels, water does not always travel down hill. Also, check the sealing of the slide when it is retracted. A garden hose and patience may tell a story.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
If it is clear oil, not water, then take a look at your slide out mechanism. They contain a clear gearbox oil. Another thought is that it is water and oil. They maybe two problems here? Good luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies. This dampness occurs only when we have been driving for a distance and have gone through a dampness on the road surface, from rain or a previous rain. I looked further under the coach as suggested. There is insulation exposed just above the back bumper and it appears to have blackened. I am thinking that the exposed insulation is absorbing water when travelling and when we stop this water oily substance is coming from that area. I have coated the exposed insulation with a water sealent along the entire area and will see if that will stop the problem. Wish me luck.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi irvwood,
Now we're getting somewhere. I had a leak in the left rear of my coach. The situation is similar to yours. I never did find the leak, but the leak is gone. What I did was spray the entire area behind the rear wheels with Flex Seal® - Liquid Rubber Sealant in a Can! | Official Site

This stuff worked for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

Oily substance at back of unit

We found the problem. At the bedroom at the back is a heater that works when you are driving. The coolant from the engine flows back there and we had a small leak in a hose that wasn't tightened down enough. I took a small sample of the fluid into our dealer and the service manager Shawn discovered the fact that it was coolant. Talk about tunnel vision on my part. I had been noticing that the coolant level in the reservoir was low when checking. I never related to the heater in the back bedroom. And that my friends is the water oily substance on the carpet. Before finding out the problem I as well sprayed behind the rear wheel area with Flex Seal
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

Thanks for posting your findings and the fix . Glad you found out what was going on.
Hope you found and fixed the leak, before any damage occoured.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvwood
We found the problem. At the bedroom at the back is a heater that works when you are driving. The coolant from the engine flows back there and we had a small leak in a hose that wasn't tightened down enough. I took a small sample of the fluid into our dealer and the service manager Shawn discovered the fact that it was coolant. Talk about tunnel vision on my part. I had been noticing that the coolant level in the reservoir was low when checking. I never related to the heater in the back bedroom. And that my friends is the water oily substance on the carpet. Before finding out the problem I as well sprayed behind the rear wheel area with Flex Seal
Glade you found the leak. You just educated me, I did not know that Ford chassis had engine coolant heater loops to the back of the chassis. Does this also have a separate fan motor?

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the follow up irvwood DP's had that option now we have a gas coach with the same.
How did you suck it all out of rug under bed?
It may smell if not all removed.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
Glade you found the leak. You just educated me, I did not know that Ford chassis had engine coolant heater loops to the back of the chassis. Does this also have a separate fan motor?

Mike
I didn't realize that as well. I thought it was electric totally. The unit has a separate electric fan motor. It was easy to get at, just had to remove the front cover and there it all was. Some staining has occured but no permanent damage. Just a note the switch for this unit is on the dash of our unit. The switch has to be in the middle position. I checked the position I had it in and it was not in the middle. I didn't even now that the unit was working until my wife mentioned that she new it was on all the time. So there you go.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thanks for the follow up irvwood DP's had that option now we have a gas coach with the same.
How did you suck it all out of rug under bed?
It may smell if not all removed.
We mopped it up each time with paper towels. There was no odor at all. It did not go under the bed just beside it.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hopefully that got it up as much as possible, a small rug shampooer may get the stickiness out of rug if it shows up.