Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post

Hmm. The Boeing 737 MAX version of collision avoidance in RVs?
Boeing 737 and Toyota cruise control , came to mind as soon as I read the OP's issues .
Hopefully there is a fix SOON, .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I didn't even know they built 2020 Canyon Stars on a Spartan chassis. I thought that started in 2021. You learn something new everyday.

Please read my signature line.. 2020 Cornerstone.

It's on a spartan K3 chassis.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #17

Seems you’re not alone; truckers have issues too.

One of the replies details how to disable CMS; but that requires their proprietary in dash display/control.

Given the OnGuard device communicates using the vehicle’s J1939 data bus; I wonder if you could plug the control in; and disable it?

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...uestion.932885
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
Please read my signature line.. 2020 Cornerstone.

It's on a spartan K3 chassis.
Sorry. On a Newmar forum CS means Canyon Star not Cornerstone.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #19

Finally others reporting the issue. I had this happen to me a few times mostly in 2018. Nobody believed me. I *hate* this system passionately. It’s awful and reacts to stuff that’s not there. Not edge cases. NOT THERE. Straight highway no other vehicles no bridges nothing and BAM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Finally others reporting the issue.
How do you regain control when "BAM"?
Old 07-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #21

I hate the system as well. They are adamant about not disabling any part of the system. There is a "driver training video" from Wabco and it details how an unintended braking event will happen. The brakes are momentarily slammed on and then released. there is no ability to accelerate for a few seconds following the event so the coach slows dramatically.

In my lengthy conference call they all admitted they had never experienced their "haptic warning brake application event" (or words similar) in a motorhome. This system is designed for truckers, not motorhomes.

Had I been required to view the video prior to purchase, I don't think I would have bought this unit. There was no literature, no discussion, no nothing regarding this optional system. I am so disappointed.
MA Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #22

It’s short lived so I can’t react in time but applying light brakes is supposed to override. But wow it’s jarring. Stuff inside shifts quite a bit, it’s loud and scary.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #23

Here’s a Wabco video with more background:

https://youtu.be/suAmFKhHPrA
Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #24

I first became aware of the problems with the On Guard system several years ago when several semi drivers leaving the Coors brewery with a heavy load had their rigs turn over on a tight curve dumping their load on a road(Youngfield St.) below the one they were traveling on. Everybody was quick to blame the drivers for speeding too fast for conditions.
Apparently the on ramp from eastbound CO58 on to eastbound I-70 was lined with concrete Jersey barriers which the On Guard radar sensors interpreted as obstructions and applied the truck's brakes unexpectedly at cruising speed in the turn. The truck drivers had to fight hard to keep from being penalized for something that wasn't their fault.
Strangely enough, information on the real cause became hard to find. I suspect some serious CYA is going on.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #25

The more I think about this the more concerned I am. I assume that this is a radar triggered system? If so can the transmitter be covered in a metal shield. Or the receiver. The latter would be better I'm thinking. Also the brakes would need a solenoid to activate them. Can this be disconected?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #26

For those of you who have a vehicle with the On Guard system you might want to be careful driving in a lane lined with Jersey barriers on the outside of the curve.
IIRC, the system uses radar returns to detect obstructions and the system calculates your closing velocity to the obstruction to determine whether and/or when and how hard to apply the brakes. If a Jersey barrier isn't properly placed or has been hit and moved enough to make the end nearest you stick out a bit it might appear as an obstruction to be avoided by On Guard.
Just a thought. Nothing more, nothing less.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #27

On Guard CMS slamming on brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
the brakes would need a solenoid to activate them. Can this be disconected?

Our RV’s are an interconnected network of computers. OnGuard communicates with the brake controller using the vehicle’s J1939 network. When OnGuard detects a CMS event; a data message is sent to the brake controller commanding the braking event.

So unfortunately there is no simple way to disconnect a component of the system - it’s all or nothing...
Old 07-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
I would hazard a guess that OEM device centers “must” have some method of testing and controlling the system through software.
But, and this is the big but, if they d/c any part and there’s an accident, there’s the liability question. The NHTSA is our only avenue to do something here. If pushed by enough anecdotal complaints, they would open an investigation and maybe a recall to either fix the issue or in best case, allow you to shut it off.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes