RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

On Guard CMS slamming on brakes

This is my first post. My 2019 40' MADP, Spartan coach has slammed on the brakes 5 times in about 7,000 miles. It is terrifying, especially when there is a big rig trucker starting to change lanes from behind me and has to jerk his steering wheel to dodge my coach. He did not loose control, however he was furious with me. Spartan performed a software update at their facility in Michigan in effort to improve this problem, unfortunately it still happens.

Spartan has offered to fly guys from Spartan and Wabco to Denver for more analysis but the coach is now stored in Phoenix and I am nervous about getting coach in Phoenix due to Covid surge.

I noticed in older thread where Tranquil Jim has had the same problem and wondering if he got his fixed or not?

Thanks, Hal

MA Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #2

call on guard , there is probable a soft ware up date . get the updated number from them ,then call the dealer and have them up date it . this may be the first up date done by the dealer so give them the on guard phone number and update part number

n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #3

It has the most recent update done at spartan. Wabco agrees there is no new update beyond what was done in late may.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #4

It has the most recent update done at Spartan in late May. We had a lengthy conference call between Wabco, Spartan and myself.

It is a frustrating situation.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have had a couple of episodes of sudden braking and will follow this to see if others have had similar issues.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #6

This is why I don't like all the computer controlled automatic gizmos they're installing in motorhomes these days. I mean come on, Microsoft has had hundreds, if not thousands, of software engineers working on Windows 10 for well over 5 years and it's still failing more than they can keep up with. Most of the new technology in motorhomes was developed in someones garage and sold way before undergoing proper testing.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

That's a very scary scenario! Doesn't make sense to me that mfg'rs would allow a computer to take control of braking especially when it's not even needed. I would be scared to death to drive such a coach. Also, I'm not sure what model, year, etc. of your coach. Can you please add that info to your signature line?
tommar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Murph View Post
This is my first post. My 2019 40' MADP, Spartan coach has slammed on the brakes 5 times in about 7,000 miles. It is terrifying, especially when there is a big rig trucker starting to change lanes from behind me and has to jerk his steering wheel to dodge my coach. He did not loose control, however he was furious with me. Spartan performed a software update at their facility in Michigan in effort to improve this problem, unfortunately it still happens.

Spartan has offered to fly guys from Spartan and Wabco to Denver for more analysis but the coach is now stored in Phoenix and I am nervous about getting coach in Phoenix due to Covid surge.

I noticed in older thread where Tranquil Jim has had the same problem and wondering if he got his fixed or not?

Thanks, Hal

My 2020 CS has done this as well. And for no apparent reason, no cars, no poles, guard rails, obstructions of any kind.

I called Spartan and told them this can NEVER happen again.

They are having the dealer install a software patch to try and address this.

If they don't fix this then my next step will be to file a report with the NTSB because unexpected application of any primary control where it clearly shouldn't and without some secondary method of keeping the system from doing that is a giant safety hazard.

Perhaps the NTSB can make wabco / zf fix this totally ridiculous piece of nanny tech.

Oh and BTW, when mine does it my cruise control goes completely away and requires a 12volt reboot of the coach to get it back.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know much about this system, but I believe it senses an impending crash and applies the brake. If it were me, I would ask the manufacturer to leave the sensor on, so that it still warns you, but disconnect it from the braking system, so it can only warn and NOT apply the brakes.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

I hate the thought of that happening. When did they start installing it on coaches?
Can it be disabled? That is downright dangerous.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
All I wanted from Freightliner was to program the annoying beeper to off and they said they couldn’t do it because they would be disabling an installed safety system. This brake application issue rises to a whole other level. Hope you get this squared away.
I would definitely report it to the NHTSA and I wouldn’t wait. It’s an accident waiting to happen.

RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Murph View Post
My 2019 40' MADP, Spartan coach has slammed on the brakes 5 times in about 7,000 miles.

Hal; Sorry to hear your experience... frightening indeed.

Reading the OnGuard manual it says brake application is 50%; and CMS will disengage when the driver applies the brakes.

Was this your experience; or was there something else you did to regain control?
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #13

Hmm. The Boeing 737 MAX version of collision avoidance in RVs?

In my car, the system is enabled by default and can be disabled if one digs down deep enough in the driver info software. I'm a bit surprised that a coach does not have this option.

Yes, please report these ghost applications of braking to the NHTSA. Better they investigate than the NTSB after the wreck...
Old 07-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
My 2020 CS has done this as well. And for no apparent reason, no cars, no poles, guard rails, obstructions of any kind.

I called Spartan and told them this can NEVER happen again.
I didn't even know they built 2020 Canyon Stars on a Spartan chassis. I thought that started in 2021. You learn something new everyday.

Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes