Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

On The Road With My 1998 Dutch Star

On Saturday, July 22, 2017, the DW and I hit the road in our 1998 Dutch Star, headed for Leelanau County, Michigan from Waco, TX. !,526 miles on the road! Our trip was largely uneventful yet a real adventure! We actually started out Friday evening but since we only went 60 miles, that doesn't really count. Still, we boondocked at a T/A truck stop on I-35E until about 3 a.m. What I remember mostly was heat--HOT! After eating a Burger King meal there, I asked the manager if it was OK to lay-over for a few hours and was given the OK. Needless to say, the jenny and the AC was going full blast. Anyway, we set out in earnest at 3 a.m. Didn't want to mess with Dallas and a freeway closure so we got off I-35E south of Dallas and went on back roads to Greenville, TX where we caught I-30 eastbound. Once on I-30, we travelled at a steady 70 mph. Stopped for the night in Memphis, AR at an RV park--$30 for the night with full hookup although I didn't bother with the slide, jacks, water, and sewer. Just electric, thank you very much. It was blazing--I mean BLAZING HOT i went outside just long enough to plug in the power and then didn't budge from under the AC again. I believe it was 106 degrees. Anyway, next day, Sunday, we started out again, and caught I-55 and then I-57. Passed a sign that said Watson, IL, and another that indicated an RV park there. We decided to try it and pulled off the interstate. Squeezed under a narrow bridge, 13' limit, which was exactly at our minimum clearence, and ended up at a 15 pad RV park--in the middle of a corn field. But it had 50 amp service. This time, opened the slide so we could make potato salad and cook dinner. Our next leg of the trip got us as far as South Haven, MI. Fueled at a Walmart at 9 p.m., and just boondocked at the Walmart that night. Saved us $70 because all the RV parks wanted that to stay at a park. South Haven was much cooler... in the 70s! But still needed the jenny because I use a CPAP machine at night. From there, it was on to Leelanau County and the Indigo Bluffs RV Resort in Empire, MI. It's been delightful here so far. Not once has the mercury gotten to 80 degrees, and the skies have been blue every day and the lakes a gorgeous blue--crystal clear water! Paradise. Have seen many RVs sporting Florida tags... wonder why?

The Dutch Star, so far, has performed flawlessly. The odometer now stands at 68K miles total. didn't use any oil -- engine or jenny. Had one scare when the Dometic fridge stopped working. Traced the problem to the 12v fuse panel. The fuse had somehow worked its way loose. When I pulled it and then reibnserted it, the lights came back on (at the fridge) and all was well. I'm really impressed with our 18 year old MH.

Now, we we will soon start heading back to Texas next Thursday. Hope to go back via the Natchez Trace and down to I-20.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Do you have house batteries and an inverter that would run your cpap machine? Seems as if you needed to run the generator anyway due to the heat. Sounds like the trip has gone well so far. Enjoy the ride home and be safe.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
Do you have house batteries and an inverter that would run your cpap machine? Seems as if you needed to run the generator anyway due to the heat. Sounds like the trip has gone well so far. Enjoy the ride home and be safe.
No inverter. Prev owner took it out. Guess it died. Once we got out of the heat (while on the road) the inverter would have been really nice cuz we didn't need the jenny otherwise. Getting an inverter is high on the list. However, I refuse to use golf cart 6v batteries because they are expensive and I don't see the advantage over a couple of 4D commercial 12v batteries which can be had at Costco or Sam's Club. That's what I used when I had a boat--49' trawler motor yacht. Worked well with a Heart 2000 watt inverter.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
No inverter. Prev owner took it out. Guess it died. Once we got out of the heat (while on the road) the inverter would have been really nice cuz we didn't need the jenny otherwise. Getting an inverter is high on the list. However, I refuse to use golf cart 6v batteries because they are expensive and I don't see the advantage over a couple of 4D commercial 12v batteries which can be had at Costco or Sam's Club. That's what I used when I had a boat--49' trawler motor yacht. Worked well with a Heart 2000 watt inverter.
Do you have the necessary room for 2 4D's? The battery slide out tray in my 2002 KSDP only has enough room for the 2 chassis 12V and 4 6V batteries. Thought about buying 4 12V for the house side but when the installer tried to get them in, they wouldn't fit, so, my only option was the 4 6V's. I suppose I could have placed 2 4D's in another compartment and run the battery cables, it just didn't seem to be worth the added expense to me.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Do you have the necessary room for 2 4D's? The battery slide out tray in my 2002 KSDP only has enough room for the 2 chassis 12V and 4 6V batteries. Thought about buying 4 12V for the house side but when the installer tried to get them in, they wouldn't fit, so, my only option was the 4 6V's. I suppose I could have placed 2 4D's in another compartment and run the battery cables, it just didn't seem to be worth the added expense to me.
Haven't measured yet, but for me, it would be worth placing them in another bay if needed. Would have to get a battery tray that protects against leaks and battery acid issues however. Reason why I think it's worth the cost is that 4Ds last a LONG time. And have lots of amp capacity.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
On Saturday, July 22, 2017, the DW and I hit the road in our 1998 Dutch Star, headed for Leelanau County, Michigan from Waco, TX. !,526 miles on the road! Our trip was largely uneventful yet a real adventure! We actually started out Friday evening but since we only went 60 miles, that doesn't really count. Still, we boondocked at a T/A truck stop on I-35E until about 3 a.m. What I remember mostly was heat--HOT! After eating a Burger King meal there, I asked the manager if it was OK to lay-over for a few hours and was given the OK. Needless to say, the jenny and the AC was going full blast. Anyway, we set out in earnest at 3 a.m. Didn't want to mess with Dallas and a freeway closure so we got off I-35E south of Dallas and went on back roads to Greenville, TX where we caught I-30 eastbound. Once on I-30, we travelled at a steady 70 mph. Stopped for the night in Memphis, AR at an RV park--$30 for the night with full hookup although I didn't bother with the slide, jacks, water, and sewer. Just electric, thank you very much. It was blazing--I mean BLAZING HOT i went outside just long enough to plug in the power and then didn't budge from under the AC again. I believe it was 106 degrees. Anyway, next day, Sunday, we started out again, and caught I-55 and then I-57. Passed a sign that said Watson, IL, and another that indicated an RV park there. We decided to try it and pulled off the interstate. Squeezed under a narrow bridge, 13' limit, which was exactly at our minimum clearence, and ended up at a 15 pad RV park--in the middle of a corn field. But it had 50 amp service. This time, opened the slide so we could make potato salad and cook dinner. Our next leg of the trip got us as far as South Haven, MI. Fueled at a Walmart at 9 p.m., and just boondocked at the Walmart that night. Saved us $70 because all the RV parks wanted that to stay at a park. South Haven was much cooler... in the 70s! But still needed the jenny because I use a CPAP machine at night. From there, it was on to Leelanau County and the Indigo Bluffs RV Resort in Empire, MI. It's been delightful here so far. Not once has the mercury gotten to 80 degrees, and the skies have been blue every day and the lakes a gorgeous blue--crystal clear water! Paradise. Have seen many RVs sporting Florida tags... wonder why?

The Dutch Star, so far, has performed flawlessly. The odometer now stands at 68K miles total. didn't use any oil -- engine or jenny. Had one scare when the Dometic fridge stopped working. Traced the problem to the 12v fuse panel. The fuse had somehow worked its way loose. When I pulled it and then reibnserted it, the lights came back on (at the fridge) and all was well. I'm really impressed with our 18 year old MH.

Now, we we will soon start heading back to Texas next Thursday. Hope to go back via the Natchez Trace and down to I-20.

Sounds like a great trip!
Some C-Pap machines run on 110 AND
12v. Mine is built to run on either, it draws 5amps .
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Probably no need for an inverter to run your C-Pap. I installed two 12v outlets in the bedroom, one on each side of the bed. Using two 12v cords that are made for our C-paps we can run the C-Paps off our two doors 6v batteries all night. Check to see if your C-pap runs on 12v and then if it does, order the proper cord to run it. Costco sells 6v batteries at a good price. From what I've read on this forum, many members think the 6v batteries are better than 12v batteries and they are able to be recycled more. I'm sure good 12v batteries would work well also. Good luck.

Tags
dutch star