Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Hud

Newmar Owners Club
Onan 8000 generator dash switch stopped working

Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose why my generartor dash switch is not working (nothing, no clicks or anything). I have an 09 AllStar mid engine diesel, onan 8000 in front does not have a slide making it miserable to service and repair. My dash switch stopped working on my last trip (it won't start or stop the generator). The start/stop switch on the genny itself works fine but now I'm opening my front access hood to start and stop the genny everytime I need it, what a pain! Everything else seems to work just fine with the generator.

I'm trying to find a bad ground or connection and I checked the fuses inside the coolant filler neck cavity (they are both fine). I just need some direction to start checking the most common culprits of this problem. The inside dash switch does light up but pressing and holding does not start or stop the generator.

I'm wondering if I need to take my dash apart to see if a wire came disconnected or should I start with connections at the generator or grounds to frame. Seems like the start solanoid is good as it starts just fine with the switch on the generator.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you do anything, you need to check the multi pin plug at the rear of the generator. Typically, just behind the generator, there is room to sit up in front of the suspension, but does require you to crawl underneath the coach. Take some basic tools and dielectric grease. At the rear of the generator is the plug that connects to your dash switch. Open the plug, clean the contacts and add some dielectric grease. Make sure it's securely reconnected.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Hud

Newmar Owners Club
Working now!

Don,
Thank you for resonding to my plight and giving me some direction!

I found that multi pin connector (mine is near the left side of my generator, probably because my genny doesn't slide out) and the pins didn't look corroded but I put some liquid electical cleaner and sealer on the pins anyway. It still did not start. I followed the cables from the connector to the firewall just in front of the dash panel where it went through the firewall. I then removed the dash panel that holds the remote switch and discovered the brown wire's stake-on connector had come loose from the stake-on connector on the back of the switch. Plugged it in tight and now it works like a champ again! I should have figured this out sooner!

I've read many other helpful posts from you and you're a legend! I'd love to meet you in person one day, either in Cali or on the road! I've gone right past your town earlier this year and in 2019.

Thanks again! Hudson

Tags
dash, generator, onan, switch