RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #15

Gen

Did you check the fuses? 2ea 15 amp and the 30 amp all located @ the Gen. water & oil dip stick area?? The 15 amp may be 10 amp which means no one was changed them per Onan letter......

gmiller46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #16

OP indicated that it is plugged into shore power. Mine won't start unless shore power is disconnected first. Maybe I read him wrong....?

Old 02-14-2020, 05:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
OP indicated that it is plugged into shore power. Mine won't start unless shore power is disconnected first. Maybe I read him wrong....?
That's a new one, never heard of a generator not starting, if on shore power.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just had the same thing and it was a bad starter.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I just worked on my buddies Tiffin with generator issues. We looked / corrected several ground corrosion issues. Thought we got them all. Ended up replacing the starter/solenoid (all one unit), and it still did not work. There was a ground terminal block back behind his batteries that was badly corroded.

My brother is a certified diesel/oasis/service manager for a Freightliner shop and says these types of issues can also be a cable itself - they can get corrosion inside the cable occasionally.

On my buddies 12500 genny we tried to jumper directly to a know good battery (12v) to eliminate wiring/connections, but a single battery is not enough the turn his over.

Good luck. Took us a while to fix the problem. But I now know a lot more about the generators. We took his completely out....
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
This also new to me, about unconnecting from shore power first.

I've been having start problems as soon as got back from a 2 months trip where we used the geny any night not connected to shore power. At home I leave both RVs plugged all the time.

I went out unplugged from shore power and the geny started right now, Strange.... Yesterday while connected it had failed to start regardless of priming and number of tries.

I'm going to be testing it several more times both ways to get a better reading on it. Well, I do understand bad ground issues. But this makes me wonder if someway a bad ground while connected to shore power creates a problem hidden when not connected???? I can't propose how, but wonder??

I'll report back latter, I want the geny to totally cool down between attempts.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #21

On my Dutch Star teh genset is started by the chassis batteries. I had an issue a couple years ago and found it to be a bad connection between the batteries and the genset. That's a 40'+ run of cable. On mine, there is a cable going from the chassis bats to a lug in the electrical compartment under the drivers seat and then a short cable to the genset .
Check that out, and as mentioned earlier, check the ground on the genset.... pull it off, wire brush it and reattach ( both ends) --- either one could cause your symptoms-- the flashing light which indicates preheating and no turn over....
Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #22

Generator

We keep it plugged up all the time for years now and the generator has all ways started. Iím going to check the batteries first if I can figure out how to 4 hooked together. Then if they are good Iíll start on the grounds and then the starter. Can I get the starter off without dropping the generator ?
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie mopar View Post
We keep it plugged up all the time for years now and the generator has all ways started. Iím going to check the batteries first if I can figure out how to 4 hooked together. Then if they are good Iíll start on the grounds and then the starter. Can I get the starter off without dropping the generator ?

If the starter works fine when unplugged it is not the starter. If the starter was bad it would never work. You would be wasting your time removing the starter. I would just check that all electrical connections on the starter are clean and tight.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #24

Generator

OK, I do know when I went out there that the GFci plugs were thrower. We had some storms when the electric was flipping off and on. I just wonder if this has anything to do with it ! I wonít be working on it for a while I just had some work done on my lung a week ago. But just trying to figure out where to start
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Starting And Stopping Procedures
Your Cummins Onan generator can be started and stopped from the integral control panel on the generator, or from the optional remote control panel inside the vehicle if your RV is so equipped. Your Operator’s Manual outlines the simple steps for starting and stopping. Remember to:
• Before starting the generator, turn off air conditioners and large electrical loads.
• Before starting in cold weather, turn off all appliances for best long-term performance.
• Prime by holding stop (all Quiet Diesels, Quiet Gas 3600-7000).
• To start - press and hold start at the control panel or at the set. - Quiet Diesel: auto pre-heat flash, then crank/start
- Don’t over-crank with no start
• Before turning on appliances, let the generator warm up for a few minutes.
• Turn off air conditioners and large electrical loads and allow the generator to run for 3-5 minutes before stopping, to allow the generator to cool down.
Breaking In Your New Generator
Your generator will perform better if you follow the break-in procedure recommended in the Operator’s Manual. The break-in process typically involves

This is from the Oman website:
Prime by holding the STOP down.

Might help. Good luck.
AlanTerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Starting And Stopping Procedures
Your Cummins Onan generator can be started and stopped from the integral control panel on the generator, or from the optional remote control panel inside the vehicle if your RV is so equipped. Your Operatorís Manual outlines the simple steps for starting and stopping. Remember to:
ē Before starting the generator, turn off air conditioners and large electrical loads.
ē Before starting in cold weather, turn off all appliances for best long-term performance.
ē Prime by holding stop (all Quiet Diesels, Quiet Gas 3600-7000).
ē To start - press and hold start at the control panel or at the set. - Quiet Diesel: auto pre-heat flash, then crank/start
- Donít over-crank with no start
ē Before turning on appliances, let the generator warm up for a few minutes.
ē Turn off air conditioners and large electrical loads and allow the generator to run for 3-5 minutes before stopping, to allow the generator to cool down.
Breaking In Your New Generator
Your generator will perform better if you follow the break-in procedure recommended in the Operatorís Manual. The break-in process typically involves

This is from the Oman website:
Prime by holding the STOP down.

Might help. Good luck.
If I remember correctly without going back through this whole thread the OP has the same generator that I do and the start procedure is to push and hold the START position of the switch until it fires. It flashes longer when cold as it is going through the preheat procedure first. The STOP position on our generators is only for stopping the running generator.

I don't know why our generators don't start when plugged into shore power but until I can find something wrong....I will assume that was the way Newmar wired them. Perhaps a bad ground somewhere would explain that? Where to start chasing such a ghost? My coach is a DP that is 20 years old now so anything is possible but I have to say she is holding up pretty well for her age! Now if I could afford a new shiny paint job........I'd have it made.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #27

use an auto jumper cable and connect it directly to the generator and a car. this way you will not be using any of the cable or ground path between the generator and the rv batteries. if it starts it sounds like you have an electrical gable / ground issue with the rv. if it does not start you have a generator issue such as starter / solenoid.

i'm no expert but for those who say their generator will not start when connected to shore power i suspect you have some form of electrical. the generator starts by using 12 volt power. shore power is 120 volt power. the only connection between them would be either the converter or inverter. if one of those devices was allowing form of load to be placed on the batteries while plugged into shore power that would explain why the battery would not start the generator when plugged into shore power. but i have no idea what this might be.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Might want to ask a member HRF they had this problem in July 2017. Same model gen.

AlanTerry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start, onan, generator