Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

Onan Generator Oil Change

2019 Bay Star - Onan 5500 Generator
Anybody tried using a hand vacuum oil pump to remove the oil from the above mentioned generator? I can locate the drain plug but don't see how it can be removed - no access hole.
mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

On my 5500 there is a valve, more like a petcock you turn to drain ther oil. No oil plug in thr conventional sense.

I will try to post a picture.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
On my 5500 there is a valve, more like a petcock you turn to drain ther oil. No oil plug in thr conventional sense.

I will try to post a picture.

Mine is a different model but works the same.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Here is the picture of the Onan gas HGJAB 5500 watt generator oil drain petcock.
Name:   generators-0113-300x226.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  18.5 KB
Old 09-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

x2, that petcock is the oil drain. there is a rubber tube attached to the bottom of the petcock that routes the draining oil through the base of the generator and out the bottom under the rv floor. it's very easy to drain.

the oil filter is a bit more work as you have to access if from underneath.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I never drain my generator oil, I extract it through the dipstick hole. Just warm the gen up, shut it off & suck the oil out.
Here’s an example of one similar to mine:

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERFASTRACI...a-781685089906
Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #7

Oil Change

I have started to use K&N filters since they have the 1" welded on nut on the bottom. Makes removing these filters quite easy. Buy them on Amazon for about $17.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Joe View Post
I never drain my generator oil, I extract it through the dipstick hole. Just warm the gen up, shut it off & suck the oil out.
Here’s an example of one similar to mine:

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERFASTRACI...a-781685089906
Oops, I forgot to mention that I don’t have an oil filter on my Onan 4000.
BTW, it never hurts to send one of those part-retrieval-magnet-on-a-stick into the oil fill/dipstick hole to pick up any iron bits (this works for any small engine whose oil fill/dipstick is low in the block).
Harry
Old 09-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #9

Generator oil change - Onan 5500

Thanks everybody for your responses. When exploring a way to drain the oil I did notice that petcock valve but it seemed to be higher than the bottom of the oil sump so figured that it had a different use. Oh well, if that is the only way, other than suction, then so be it.
Would be nice if between them Cummins and Newmar could mention this in the respective Owner’s Manual. Then again I find both manuals to be so generic as to be useless for any specific model issues.
Will substitute the K&N oil filter for the factory one. Maybe a few more $$$ but so much easier to instal and remove.
Again, thank you for the quick responses.
mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan