Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Onan generator stopped working

Out of the blue our Onan Generator stopped working on our 3 week old DSDP 4018. Our fuel tank is full, the Generator has plenty of oil and coolant. When I try to start it, there is absolutely nothing - no sound, it's like the Generator is not getting any power. We are plugged in at an RV park, the batteries are fully charged.

We're on the road, hoping someone has seen this before?
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Did you check the breaker on the generator?
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Where is that breaker? I've looked and didn't see any breaker, just the on/off switch and the starter button.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Must be contagious

Our one week old VTDP has the exact same problem. It is in shop now. So far they have verified power is getting to the switches and when pressed pass 11.5 VDC to the starter. Tech is checking with Cummins and Newmar to see if this correct. I will try and let you know what they find.

We were on the road when it failed. Had planned to come home via I-15 put with 120 degree temps went north via I-80. Out of the way, but cooler.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee, the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

On the actual generator outside, there is a circuit breaker
Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Where is that breaker? I've looked and didn't see any breaker, just the on/off switch and the starter button.

That on/off switch is actually a breaker and must be cycled just like a breaker in the electrical panel. The generator will start with it off however. It just won't sent power to the transfer switch. There are 2 or 3 fuses somewhere in the generator. The location is different on different Onan's. Call Newmar tech support and they can help.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
On the 8000QD that I think the OP has there are only fuses (3) under the cover on the generator. This is what the tech who is working on ours right now told me.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee last VTDP 3725 - without working generator
Old 06-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

You are correct Steve! Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Found the mini 15 AMP fuse. It is hidden underneath a metal cover, secured with a screw. The radiator cover is also under that metal cover.

The fuse was fine but just to make sure I ran out and bought new 15 AMP fuses. Nothing. Generator still dead.

Thanks for the hint though, now I know where that fuse is hidden.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

Onan generator stopped working

Quote:
Found the mini 15 AMP fuse. It is hidden underneath a metal cover, secured with a screw. The radiator cover is also under that metal cover.

The fuse was fine but just to make sure I ran out and bought new 15 AMP fuses. Nothing. Generator still dead.

Thanks for the hint though, now I know where that fuse is hidden.

Think there are a couple of more fuses somewhere. It's a little trouble but you could check for voltage at the lug on the back of the generator box where the power enters the big green box. At least you will know if the problem is inside the generator box or is power from the coach.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the back of the generator, driver side, is where the battery connection is. It is outside the generator with 2 wires. Make sure you have good connection there.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ours did the same!

Quote:
Out of the blue our Onan Generator stopped working on our 3 week old DSDP 4018. Our fuel tank is full, the Generator has plenty of oil and coolant. When I try to start it, there is absolutely nothing - no sound, it's like the Generator is not getting any power. We are plugged in at an RV park, the batteries are fully charged.

We're on the road, hoping someone has seen this before?
Took it to cummins, they checked the brush plates and were misaligned (these are adjustable, but were way off) so tearing into generator further they found stator plate, that bolts on to engine were loose. They added loctite to bolts and properly torqued, as of almost a year no more problems. The only downfall was driving it to cummins mid-south and leaving coach for a couple of days.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #13
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Lakebuster. Did hour generator have the same symptoms as ours? Or would your generator crank but not start?

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #14

The breaker on the generator has nothing to do with it's ability to start & or run- that only controls the electrical output current from the generator. My best guess is you have a loose or corroded ground wire connection. With the generator slide out- this connection is on the drivers side on the frame of the chassis. Be sure it is tight & clean. You can jump it with a large screwdriver from the grounding lug on the heavy wire coming from the generator, to the frame- be sure you scrape the paint off the frame where you're making contact with the screwdriver. Do this & have someone else try the start button on the generator. If this starts it, take the ground connection loose- wire brush it to bright metal, reinstall it & tighten down really tight-~ 50 ft. lbs & apply anti- corrosion compound to the connection area.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan