Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Onan Hour Meter on the dash

Just wondering if anyone has installed an hour meter inside as Newmar apparently only installs one at the Gen set. All prior coaches have had one on the Dash and I would prefer to have one that I can see without having to open the hood an get a reading.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Yeah, now that you mention it, the Onan generator in our Chinook has a remote hour counter inside the coach -- next to one of the generator start switches. It appears to be a complete Onan remote panel.

I'm also almost certain you can remote the gauges too. So Onan probably has a multi-function cable connection to remote all that stuff.

Take a look in your generator's manual.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

You should be able to get the info. on your lightbar where your view your odometer.
You can get Trans. Temp, etc.
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have an Onan and there is a remote hour meter in the coach but is is not working for some reason. The remote has 69 hrs on it and the "real" meter on the unit is 350 hrs. Don't know why, something is un-plugged.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

Ken C- do you have the Silver-leaf control system in your DSDP? If yes, it will display the Generator hours when you push the Generator spot on the screen.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
The DSDP do not have the SilverLeaf and Newmar did not wire the generator into the lightbar either. So unless someone wants to add one the only place is on the generator itself. Not sure if it is possible to hook into the lightbar for the generator hours, someone with more knowledge of the Newmar wire maybe able to answer.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #7

My Bounder has a Onan mechanical hour meter in dash...it makes a clicking noise with each tenth of an hour....glad the MountainAire doesn't have same. It's meter is on generator out of ear shot.
Don't see the criticality of viewing the hours in dash. Not that important to use premium dash space. Certainly if the generator provides an interface for integration, the data can be displayed as secondary importance on the dash system [Mod Edit]
Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
CBQ

I have the wireless auto start kit for the Onan, and it tracks the total hours and the hours remaining until the next service. I think they discontinued it..but you may still find some around.

If you only need hours, what about something like this?

Cummins Onan 300-5332 Basic Remote Start Panel W/Hour Meter
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #9

Yeah, that's the same one I have in our little Chinook.

But it's a simple mechanical counter, not digital. So it's not really synchronized with the counter on the generator. So if you were to figure out how to connect one of these, you'd have to manually run the hours up to match the one on the generator. Once you'd done that, the two would probably remain more or less in synch.

Interesting project, but I think I'll just use the one on the generator. It's not something I look at very often.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, onan