RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

One piece roof option??

Going to be ordering a 2018 Ventana Le here shortly. This is our first RV, so we are as green as green can be (we have rented a Class C once....yes I said once lol!)

One of the options the dealer suggested is the "one piece fiberglass roof." It's about $2k. Is that worth it? No idea what the point is in having one piece vs several pieces of roof -- less opportunities for leaks I guess?

Any help is appreciated!

Hoosierfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #2

Less maintenance, less prone to damage, easier to clean. Recommend it.

bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Hoosierfans,
I have the BriteTEC one piece roof. Coach is 12 years old. Been outside since it was new. Wash it once a year. No leaks. Been through hurricanes, a tornado and hail. No problems. For me, I'd spend the $2K on something else.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good ?? Been several discussion on it. The Brite tek or whatever Newmar calls it is very tough long lasting roof. You probably will never have a problem with either. Mine happen to have the Brite Tek I think it is quieter than a hard fiberglass. I wash it once a year and check all the seams.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had two DSDP's, on with fiberglass and the last one with the BriteTek. Will take the BriteTek over the optional fiberglass one anyday. Quieter, long lasting and very tough. Fiberglass has a one year warranty, the BriteTek has a 12 yr warranty on the material itself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Another vote for Brite Tek. Our coach stayed outside for the first five years of it's life with a couple of tropical storms and hailstorms thrown in as well, no leaks no tears, etc. We even dented the radius corner to the roof on an overhanging tree limb going into a farm field, no damage at all to the roof itself from the rest of the tree limb dragging over it.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #7

Thanks all! I didn't realize the issue was between Brite Tek vs Fiberglass -- thought when they listed the option it was between pieced fiberglass vs one piece fiberglass. As I said, we are green as green can be!

We are planning on cold weather camping (we ski) so does that make a difference w the Brite Tek v Fiberglass debate??

Thanks all!!!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I chose the fiberglass because I wasn't a big fan of the EDPM material I had on my previous RV.

The Brite Tek is a whole different animal. A very durable roof material, which I really wasn't knowledgeable about.

I am still very happy with the fiberglass roof. It made my solar installation quite easy...using AM Solar, Inc.. mounting brackets...you merely clean the fiberglass with alcohol...peal and stick the VHB tape to the surface and apply pressure. No screws or screw holes...which would be necessary with the brite tek roof.

The only noise that gets my attention is the roof air conditioner...so at night, I drop the temp on the forward zone...vs the bedroom zone. We stay cool, but the roof unit up front is usually the one doing all the work. Makes it quieter in the bedroom.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Given your desire to use the coach for winter ski trips I'd go for the fiberglass roof. If you get caught in snow the fiberglass will be easier to remove the snow and lower the possibility of inadvertent damage while clearing it.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #10

We were green as green when we purchased our coach too. I went with the fiberglass and have been happy with it. Reading the responses here, I would most likely have been happy with the Brite Tek roof too. Sounds like you wouldn't be disappointed either way.

One option that I am very happy with was the Polar Pack (I think that is what it was called). It puts extra insulation in the roof. It is great for helping keep your coach cooler in the summer heat, and warmer in the winter cold. By default, it acts as a sound deadened too.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP had the BriteTek. After 13 years it still looked close to new and would have looked very good and it was quieter inside than a fiberglass roof. In '02 the Polar Pack was an option in the DSDP, we ordered it and were glad we did. Also had the dual pane windows and they were still good after 13 years too. Something that can't be said for the SeGi windows on the Magna I now have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We also use the coach for skiing. I've cleaned the Brite-Tek roof off countless times with a broom, not a problem. It is slippery and you have to watch your footing, but I would imagine the fiberglass would be just as slippery or more, depending on how well waxed it is.

We have solar panels, mounts are screwed through the Brite-Tek into the 9mm roof decking with well nuts (8 per panel). I have not had any problems with those as well.

Newmar didn't have the Polar Pack available on the Canyon Star, otherwise we'd have definitely ordered it. As it is, we never have a problem heating the coach while skiing.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We also use the coach for skiing. I've cleaned the Brite-Tek roof off countless times with a broom, not a problem. It is slippery and you have to watch your footing, but I would imagine the fiberglass would be just as slippery or more, depending on how well waxed it is.

We have solar panels, mounts are screwed through the Brite-Tek into the 9mm roof decking with well nuts (8 per panel). I have not had any problems with those as well.

Newmar didn't have the Polar Pack available on the Canyon Star, otherwise we'd have definitely ordered it. As it is, we never have a problem heating the coach while skiing.
Awesome thanks! Then maybe we will save the $2k and put it somewhere else. Yes, we ordered the Polar Pam and the double pane windows -- if there was and option to better insulate the coach, we opted for it lol!

Where do you take it skiing? Very curious and probably will be picking your brain as it seems like folks who do this are few and far between (I posted something originally about wanting to use our new RV for skiing and responses were --- WHAT?!?!? I don't think you can do that with an RV! (I am now finding out that it's possible yay)!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfans View Post
Awesome thanks! Then maybe we will save the $2k and put it somewhere else. Yes, we ordered the Polar Pam and the double pane windows -- if there was and option to better insulate the coach, we opted for it lol!

Where do you take it skiing? Very curious and probably will be picking your brain as it seems like folks who do this are few and far between (I posted something originally about wanting to use our new RV for skiing and responses were --- WHAT?!?!? I don't think you can do that with an RV! (I am now finding out that it's possible yay)!
Since we've wandered pretty far off-topic with skiing I've added to an existing thread here.

Tags
roof