Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #15

That was my concern.........giving up bank account and any other personal info. but if enough people are using this system then maybe issues are minimal.
Agilitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
There are no cons. None.
Aside from giving them your Social Security Number and bank account information...

I used the TSD card in my last cross country trip from SW Idaho to Key West, which was about 7500 miles round trip.
As was stated, there may be cheaper fuel stations, but are they dumping old stock or have low volume sales or are they just really cheaper?
Recently, I changed my attitude towards LOVE's truck stops, and after having stopped at several and used the TSD card and I found the prices to be on par with local stations, when they were reported in GAS BUDDY.
I recall chasing .05 / gallon off, years ago, and ended up in some really tight situations, both getting in and height of overhang.
I figured that I saved about $75.00 off of the average pump price when calculating the times I used the TSD Card versus my Costco Visa card, which give's about 3% back on fuel purchases.

Retired Robotics Technician USAF DAV > May the Mass X Acceleration be with you!!<
Parafango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Con? Figuring out what to do almost $1,000 that I saved over listed pump price.
I’ve heard that any 4 numbers at the end of your ssn will work. 🤫
Old 11-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The bank account and ssn are the only reason I have not signed up for it. I just think how many times I read large companies have been hacked and all the customer info has been stolen. We are talking a small company, what security??? I don't want to deal with that on a trip or years to come as some low life in another country want to sell my info or use it.

I went with mudflay and linked a credit card. CC's have protection for financial loss by the company that issued it. Before and after trip I link and un-linke the CC further reducing the time a hacker could hack into my info. But as a CC I don't get the max discount because of the CC overhead.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
The bank account and ssn are the only reason I have not signed up for it. I just think how many times I read large companies have been hacked and all the customer info has been stolen. We are talking a small company, what security??? I don't want to deal with that on a trip or years to come as some low life in another country want to sell my info or use it.

I went with mudflay and linked a credit card. CC's have protection for financial loss by the company that issued it. Before and after trip I link and un-linke the CC further reducing the time a hacker could hack into my info. But as a CC I don't get the max discount because of the CC overhead.
While I agree with you that there is a potential for personal information exposure, don't forget that you personal information is probably already in some database due to the Experian data breach of 2017 (and another in 2021), not to mention many others that are either unreported, or undetected.
Do you miss the days of paper copies only yet?

I wonder if anyone is using the CFN card? I know there is a 900 gallon per year minimum purchase, but their fuel prices always seem to be the lowest.

Retired Robotics Technician USAF DAV > May the Mass X Acceleration be with you!!<
Old 11-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilitydog View Post
That was my concern.........giving up bank account and any other personal info. but if enough people are using this system then maybe issues are minimal.

We set up a secondary checking account at our bank. I keep a minimum amount in the “Fuel Account”. When I fill up and pump price reads $500. Then I transfer money from our main checking account to the fuel account. This way it limits my exposure. Normally the last 4 digits of your SSN is no mor detrimental than the last 4 digits of your credit card that prints out on every receipt you have ever received.

Unless you have a phobia to using truck pumps this is a no brainer.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
We set up a secondary checking account at our bank. I keep a minimum amount in the “Fuel Account”. When I fill up and pump price reads $500. Then I transfer money from our main checking account to the fuel account. This way it limits my exposure.
I have the same setup, except I haven't seen $500 on the pump, $250 once but never $500. Maybe I will when fuel gets to $9.50/gallon.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafango View Post
I have the same setup, except I haven't seen $500 on the pump, $250 once but never $500. Maybe I will when fuel gets to $9.50/gallon.
We should all consider ourselves Lucky with the Motorhomes holding 80 to 150 gallons of fuel. My last large boat held 900 gallons of diesel. Marina fuel is always more expensive than road stations so it was very common to pay 3 to 4K for a fill up on a long journey.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #23

Spartan Chassis
I am not sure how it works with Canadians but the biggest con I have seen is that they want your SSN and access to a bank account. I, along with many others, opened a separate account for fuel that I transfer money into when we're going to stop and refuel. I love the convenience of tracking fuel cost in one account.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Been using the card going on three years and zero problems. Giving up your SSN and bank account has already been done if you have ever applied for a credit card or use on line banking
Old 11-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafango View Post

Well if you drove in the western states this summer and added 110 gallons to your tank you would have….
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:44 AM   #26

When fuel prices were going crazy earlier this year the card was not accurate. In the morning I would check the map for fuel prices and plan my fuel stop. But the stations were changing prices during the day. I got ripped ata Loves that had raised prices by 35 cents! Overall I am pleased with the card. They must have a real thinker on staff. They built an app and offer good discounts. You do realize that they are making a small fortune with the card. Truckers often get 75 cents a gallon discount! But if the Company that provides us good discounts also make a great profit that is fine with me. Better than the J offering us 8 cents! A year ago they did not have many stations in the southwest but that has improved. You can thank Good Sam for Pilot not being part of the program. When the Open Roads card first came out the J and pilot were part of the program. But Good Sam complained!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #27

The only con would be FMCA getting a cut of our discounted savings.
Been using the program just fine for three years without FMCA involvement.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
The only con would be FMCA getting a cut of our discounted savings.
Been using the program just fine for three years without FMCA involvement.
Exactly, you don’t have to be a FMCA member to get the fuel card.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel