Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Operating slide outs on inverter power?

I have a 2013 Newmar Bay Star model 3209 gas Class A coach, purchased last July so we've only used it for a couple of week long trips so far. It's has the 50 amp upgrade package. The slide outs require 120 volt power to operate which means plug into shore power or run generator. I'm wondering if anyone uses inverter power to operate their slide outs?

I wouldn't make a habit of doing this myself, but in the event shore power was not available and the generator wouldn't start, what to you think?

While I was having a minor warranty issue fixed at the dealer, they ran the slide out and in on inverter power, so I know it can be done.

I'm also wondering (and concerned) about how much drain it would cause on the house batteries.

Any and all advice and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think if you will check that you will find out the slides work off of 12 volts, not 120. The reason for starting the generator or plugging in is to furnish power to the batteries while charging.

The inverter pulls power from the batteries and does not charge the batteries which would be a perpetual motion machine.

Hope this helps....burfurd
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
I think if you will check that you will find out the slides work off of 12 volts, not 120. The reason for starting the generator or plugging in is to furnish power to the batteries while charging.

The inverter pulls power from the batteries and does not charge the batteries which would be a perpetual motion machine.

Hope this helps....burfurd
Hmm, that's interesting as I was told that the slides work on a 12amp 120 volt motor. I'll send an email inquiry to Newmar to find out for sure. Or better yet I could hit the slideout switch when I'm not connected to 120 volt A.C. power and see if the slide works on 12v. I am aware that the inverter does not charge the batteries.

Thanks, Ken
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is the Newmar spec for your slides, burfurd is correct the slide motors are 12v and will work off your house batteries if they are fully charged, Newmar says to open slides with shore line hooked up because of the current draw of motors.
You can find more info in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Here is the Newmar spec for your slides, burfurd is correct the slide motors are 12v and will work off your house batteries if they are fully charged, Newmar says to open slides with shore line hooked up because of the current draw of motors.
You can find more info in QT's 1 & 2.
Thanks for the info. I wonder how much fully charged batteries would be drained by opening or closing the two slides. Just thinking if I was dry camping and the generator wouldn't start and I needed to retract the slides. On my previous Winnebago class C the advice was to run the coach engine when operating the electric slides.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been running my two, 12v slides in and out with no external power for 7 years now with no battery power concerns.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
I've been running my two, 12v slides in and out with no external power for 7 years now with no battery power concerns.
What model is your Newmar coach? Sounds like I should be able to run my slides on battery power when needed.
I sure appreciate all the info. I wonder why the dealer's service advisor turned on the inverter when he ran the slide out and then back in.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I have a 2013 Newmar Bay Star model 3209 gas Class A coach, purchased last July so we've only used it for a couple of week long trips so far. It's has the 50 amp upgrade package. The slide outs require 120 volt power to operate which means plug into shore power or run generator. I'm wondering if anyone uses inverter power to operate their slide outs?

I wouldn't make a habit of doing this myself, but in the event shore power was not available and the generator wouldn't start, what to you think?

While I was having a minor warranty issue fixed at the dealer, they ran the slide out and in on inverter power, so I know it can be done.

I'm also wondering (and concerned) about how much drain it would cause on the house batteries.

Any and all advice and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

I've run my slides in and out without being plugged in many times. They're 12v motors.

He turned the inverter on because he didn't understand why Newmar says to have it plugged in. To make sure the battery voltage stays consistent.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Ken-

My RV is an '02, 37' Mountain Aire (gas).

I didn't even have an inverter until I installed one about 4 years ago.

You shouldn't have any slide/battery issues at all.

Why don't you call this service manger and ask him why he told you to use inverter power while moving the slides? It should be an interesting converstation and answer to relay to us folks .

Maybe something changed in the 2013 model year-
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
In our 2008 Canyon Star the slides run on 12V. Operating your slides after dry camping should not be a problem, we've done it many times. Also, in our coach the slides can't run with the ignition on, so the trick that works in the Winnie probably won't work in your Newmar.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #11

I found that it is always best to plug in to shore power before doing anything. Since leveling needs to be done prior to slides out, the 12 VDC current draw for the HWH hydraulic pump is quite high...something like 200 amps I have heard. Putting the slides out causes further drain on the batteries. When shore power is then plugged in and the converter portion of my Freedom 458 goes to work, I can sometimes get a red lamp for high charging voltage and subsequent overtemp. Since these coaches also have generators, I see no reason to stress the batteries by using them alone. Better to let the charger get a head start on the job at hand.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

I run my slides out/in all the time, with or without shore/gen, and don't notice any difference in the groan level of the slide motors.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
I found that it is always best to plug in to shore power before doing anything. Since leveling needs to be done prior to slides out, the 12 VDC current draw for the HWH hydraulic pump is quite high...something like 200 amps I have heard. Putting the slides out causes further drain on the batteries. When shore power is then plugged in and the converter portion of my Freedom 458 goes to work, I can sometimes get a red lamp for high charging voltage and subsequent overtemp. Since these coaches also have generators, I see no reason to stress the batteries by using them alone. Better to let the charger get a head start on the job at hand.
I have Power Gear levelers on my Newmar, and during the walk-through I was told to start the engine to avoid running the batteries down when the leveling system is operating.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #14

Ok, I have to admit I was confused about the slide motors. Indeed they are 12 volt not 120 volt motors. Being told at the walk through and I believe it's also in the manual to provide 120 volt power to the coach via shore power or generator before operating the slides led me to believe they were 120 motors. Also when the service advisor turned on the inverter before opening the slide made me think that too. Now that I think back about it, he turned on the inverter so that once the slide was extended he could show me the problem with the TV had been resolved.

Thanks to everyone for setting me straight on all this!

Ken

Tags
inverter, power, slide