Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

Operating slides aired down

I think I know the answer, but...
We finally completed our RV garage for our new Ventana. Love being able to work on it, pack for a trip, etc. Garage is 21x50 so plenty of room for slides to be out, but I like the extra room when they're in. Anyway, if the coach has been sitting and is aired down, can the slides be operated ?
I don't want to fire it up just for slides. I actually did it once on the big slide without thinking about the air situation. Didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary, but don't want to damage anything either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No worries either way.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't move my slides unless aired up. My understanding is they were installed with the coach aired up which make things aligned. I did sent an email to Ventana customer service in 2016 asking the question and was told to only move slides while aired up and to verify seams also. No problems with slide so far.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Slide operation with air suspension

You will hear different theories about the best way to operate your slides. Keep in mind that some Newmar models like 2016 and newer Dutch Star and up models have a hydraulic full-wide slide, while the Ventana and lower models still use electric motors on all slides.

A tech at Newmar gave me some useful advice about slides. He said to be safe, always be "aired up" when operating the slides, as that is how they are installed at the factory. Another thing to consider is to look at the "reveal", which is the gap between the sides and bottom of the slide out and the "body" of the motorhome. If the "reveal", or gap, is uniform, then operating the slides is OK. So if the reveal is uniform when aired up, but is not uniform when the air is dumped, then the motorhome body has twisted and operating the slides may not be advisable. If the gap is uniform when aired up and after dumping the air (like on a level concrete pad), then operating the slides would be OK whether aired up or not.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I need to do a little experiment. I have a slide that’s been misaligned from time to time. Tomorrow morning I’ll air up and run them in and out, and from now on to be safe, I’ll only operate them with full air. I’ve never heard a word about this before.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Personally, I store my coach with the jacks down and leveled. I can then operate the slides without airing up. If you want to air up, you can do this via the air connector above the generator and a compressor. That way you don't have to start the engine.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #7

For 3 years I have used the FWS in and out while in the garage without issue, the garage is perfectly level and it’s always plugged in to 50 amp shore power. Maybe I have just been lucky, but so far so good, I hate to fire it up just for a few minutest because they say it causes extreme wear....
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
well air’d it up with my home compressor as directed above to 100psi, ran the slides in and out, no changes, but it is easy enough and seems like a good policy.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #9

In the OP's situation, I would run the slides in and out anytime. He's setting on a flat cement floor, not much danger there.

While the coach is setting on air, the air will allow for the tires to be uneven and not induce any twist in the chassis/coach. When you dump the air, the bump stops in the bags sets down solid against the axles, which may not be level if setting out in the yard, so that can induce twist in the chassis. In the event the axles aren't parallel to each other, I would suggest airing the bags before operating the slides. The OP's axles will be parallel on the cement floor.

Generally, when I park, I open the slides, dump the air, level with the jacks.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
well air’d it up with my home compressor as directed above to 100psi, ran the slides in and out, no changes, but it is easy enough and seems like a good policy.
Something I haven't even thought about. And, my compressor sits just a few feet from the front of the coach.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Pics are as follows: I set the regulator to 100 to protect the coach system, made a double male adapter and hooked it up (my coach has a valve at the fitting), and the last pic shows the coach at 100psi not running. Easy! I’m going to run an air line to my coach parking area for convenience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	842F453D-DD8F-4011-9A21-7DAAB59E610D.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	307253   Click image for larger version

Name:	701A6945-93D1-46F1-9069-E353DF11CD15.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	307254  

Name:	114F04E5-1786-4222-B0ED-3061EA138266.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	307255  
Old 11-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #12

Question:... If using a shop air compressor to air up our rigs, shouldn’t an air drier be used?
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #13

Yes. I have a water/oil separator attached to my airline. Plus the male/male adapter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	307260  
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Question:... If using a shop air compressor to air up our rigs, shouldn’t an air drier be used?
Yes - mine is built into my system, primarily for painting.

Tags
air, slide