Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

Operator error or wiring problem?

We have a 2018 Ventana 3715 with a WineGuard Travílr SM Dish 1000 satellite antenna. We bought the coach used and have not been able to get the satellite system to work.

I tried calling in using the number with the Wally Dish Receiver and they let me know the old owner still had the box active and that they couldnít help me. I ordered our own receiver and have plugged it in and am getting the same symptom of no satellite signal at the receiver.

The WineGuard display shows connected to satellites.

Aside from changing the TV to Satellite input (I believe it is working because I see the dish receiver menu) what other switches or changes do I need to make this work? Both cable TV hookup and over the air antenna are working fine.
Tooltime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Once the Trav'ler is connected to the satellites, have you run a Check Switch on the Wally? That's done in the Diagnostics > Dish menu on the far right side of the screen. I think is says Run System Check or something like that. That sets the Wally to be compatible with the Trav'ler.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #3

We opted for the Hopper over the Walley in hopes of using the wireless Joey’s to get signal to the other TV’s rather than count on the HDMI’s run throughout. On the Hopper it is walking me through a startup menu, but when we get to the point of checking the satellite signal is just stalls and never senses a signal. This is similar to what we had when trying the Wally that the previous owner left in the coach.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 PM   #4

Tooltime, when I got my 21 DS I had to install my set up myself. I have the open face dish satellite and use the Hopper and wired joey for the bedroom tv. The hopper will show the same signal on the televator, overhead, and outside tv's. That being said, there was a splitter I had to install in the cabinet where the hopper goes(I do not remember the model of the splitter but it is specific and I will get that model for you tomorrow morning). I will also provide you with which cable goes where when I take a look at it, but my hopper would not work on anything until I installed this splitter. I have not needed to reconfigure my hopper when moving it from my home to my coach-just plug it in and go. You should be receiving satellites 101, 110, and 119 on the winegard box. You will need to call Dish as you move around the country if you want to keep receiving local channels. They will just tell your system what new zip code you are in and then you will relieve that areas local channels-just remember to change it back when you get home. Figure about a 100-150 mile or so radius you can move before you will need to reauthorize your local channel location. Sometimes you will also need to reset your hopper as you move around because it will not work sometimes for no apparent reason and this seems to fix it. Lets just hope your rig is wired like mine is or none of this will help.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you send me a PM with your phone number I can help you trouble shoot your system….
Old 01-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Operator error or wiring problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltime2 View Post
We have a 2018 Ventana 3715 with a WineGuard Travílr SM Dish 1000 satellite antenna. We bought the coach used and have not been able to get the satellite system to work.

I tried calling in using the number with the Wally Dish Receiver and they let me know the old owner still had the box active and that they couldnít help me. I ordered our own receiver and have plugged it in and am getting the same symptom of no satellite signal at the receiver.

The WineGuard display shows connected to satellites.

Aside from changing the TV to Satellite input (I believe it is working because I see the dish receiver menu) what other switches or changes do I need to make this work? Both cable TV hookup and over the air antenna are working fine.

I think you are the same person on Ventana Owners site.
If youíre using a Hopper 3 with wireless joeys, you have to make sure you have the correct switch installed between the dish and the Hopper.
FYI - Dish tech support will tell you, you canít run that equipment in an rv. They are incorrect.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltime2 View Post
We opted for the Hopper over the Walley in hopes of using the wireless Joeyís to get signal to the other TVís rather than count on the HDMIís run throughout. On the Hopper it is walking me through a startup menu, but when we get to the point of checking the satellite signal is just stalls and never senses a signal. This is similar to what we had when trying the Wally that the previous owner left in the coach.

Which version of the Hopper do you have? When we had a Hopper 2, our configuration with the Travíler had a Solo Node installed on the roof. When we upgraded to a Hopper 3, the Solo Node was removed and replaced with a DPH 42 Switch to communicate with the Travíler. How is your Travíler configured?
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending on when the Trav'ler was made it may have either the Dish ProPlus LNB or the newer Pro Hybrid LNB. You can tell the difference by looking at the coax cables coming from the LNB to the turret. If it has three coax cables, it's the older ProPlus. If it has only two coax cables, then it's the newer Pro Hybrid LNB. The reason I mention this is the two different LNBs require different equipment to connect to a Hopper system. Here's a document that shows the compatibility of the different LNBs to Hoppers and Wallies and the equipment for each. A ProPlus requires the SKDPH42 kit but the newer Pro Hybrid doesn't require any extra splitters or power inserters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wf-943.pdf (779.2 KB, 9 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:37 AM   #9

Alright Tooltime, here is what I had to use in my 21 DS. I had to get a Hybrid Solo Hub model #203952 made by Echostar Technologies-they run about $7-10 on line. I use a Hopper 3 btw. In my coach there is an incoming coax labeled "Main Feed" that goes into the "To ODU" port on the hub and then the dummy terminated plug that is provided with the hub goes onto one of the ports labeled "To client/hvn" port. Next, there is a coax labeled "bedroom feed" that goes into the second "client/hvn" port on the hub. Finally, the port on the hub labeled "To host" goes into your Hopper satellite receiver. In my bedroom, there is a coax labeled "LVRM" that goes into your joey. You use the HDMI cables in both locations to feed video signal to the TV's. I also had to switch the sound on the Main tv audio from hdmi to optical for best sound quality coming from the Bose sound bar. Mine had audio running through the hdmi originally and did not sound that good. I hope this helps you with your situation, but if not, it will help anyone with a newer DS wanting to hook up a Dish Hopper.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #10

Thank-you all for helping me work my way through this. I contacted WineGard this morning and they have reached the same conclusion as you have, I need to add the Kit SKDPH42 to work with the Hopper. I'll get one coming and then report back the results. I haven't learned all of the terminology yet, so can't answer to whether there is a solo node in the system.

I appreciate everyone's efforts, and sorry if it moves a bit slow. The coach is at home and I'm still working for now. Trying to get his ironed out before our first long trip starting the end of next month.

Kit is ordered, scheduled to arrive Monday Jan. 31st.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #11

The DPH42 is way more costly than the one I mentioned. The one I used is what Transwest told me they use and its smaller, and does not need power. Let us know how it works.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #12

I think the reason they are pushing the more expensive component is the version of Dish Travlír we have. The way they explained it, if I have 2 wires coming out of the LNB (I would call that the receiver head on the satellite dish) I donít need this more expensive adapter. Ours has 3 wires which means it isnít a hybrid LNB and therefore requires the more expensive one.

I will certainly follow up with the results as things transpire. Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
The DPH42 is way more costly than the one I mentioned. The one I used is what Transwest told me they use and its smaller, and does not need power. Let us know how it works.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

Tooltime, I do not have any idea if my dish has two or three wires because I never looked. I installed based on what my dealer told me I needed. You would think that if you ordered the dish satellite with the coach it would actually be "ready" to fully complete the installation of your receiver, but it's not.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #14

We bought the coach used, and this is an issue of trying to combine an older satellite system (pre 2019) with a newer Dish Hopper 3 box. Will better understand if I am being led astray after the components come in and I hook them up. (
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
Tooltime, I do not have any idea if my dish has two or three wires because I never looked. I installed based on what my dealer told me I needed. You would think that if you ordered the dish satellite with the coach it would actually be "ready" to fully complete the installation of your receiver, but it's not.

Tags
problem, wiring