Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Ordering a 2019 Dutch Star 4326. Any Concerns?

Hi Everyone,

We've been in an Allegro Bus since early 2015, and we travel with our three kids about four months each year. We've had great luck with our Bus, but it's time for a bunk model coach. At least that way, two of the kids will have their own bunks. To us, the Dutch Star 4326 is the best combination of quality, floor plan, and manufacturer reputation. We had been looking for an Entegra Cornerstone (used), but we have decided that a bunk model is a requirement. And, the Dutch Star price point is comfortable for us, even when bought new. We've never owned a new coach, so this will be a first!

We toured two 2019 Dutch Stars yesterday, and we've put together a tentative build sheet. We want SIMPLE on this coach - no powered MCD shades (we've had lots of shade motor failures), no heated floors, no chrome package, etc. Our favorite places to travel are Alaska and BC, so we just don't want an overly complex coach. If we can reduce complexity, we will be doing it by avoiding certain options. But, we want a good quality machine like the Dutch Star.

My questions for the tremendously wise folks on this form are:

1. Are there any major concerns with the 2019 Dutch Stars that I should be aware of? Are the 2019's coming off the line mostly trouble-free, or can I expect to spend the first two years doing nothing but fixing problems? We will be doing a factory delivery, so I hope to address all the bugs before we leave the factory. (I just got a quote from the dealer this morning for $4,500 for factory delivery. Ouch.)

2. Are there any special order items that I really should think about? For example, I just realized last night that the vent that's built into the convection/microwave doesn't vent outside the coach, so I'm adding that to my order. I was very surprised that this wasn't standard. Is there anything else like this I need to be aware of?

3. What's the consensus on the new digital dash? I've seen a few posts about them rebooting, but how many people are having trouble with them? Just a few? Most?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have. We are thrilled to be joining the Newmar family!

Matt
kmghmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I do not meet the "tremendously wise" criteria but did sleep in a Dutch Star last night. Also we previously owned an Allegro Bus (in fact 4 Tiffin coaches immediately prior to our Newmar). In our experience there is a trend at Tiffin that seems to be sending the brand in the wrong direction. Quality on our 2016 Bus was terrible in terms of the build quality. Factory service for coaches over 4 years is greatly diminished and beyond 10 years is non-existent. I will say that in our case Tiffin did do a superb job of backing the product and it's many serious flaws.

Our experience with our 2018 Dutch Star has been excellent. During the first year there were some issues but none that kept us from using the coach on a daily basis (we are full timers) and overall quality has been excellent. Factory service at the one year warranty visit was terrific and all discrepancies were remedied.
Our coach was built just after Newmar raised the build rate in the summer of 2017. I don't think any of our issues were related to that increase as the company seems to have eased into the speed up and planned well for it.
I can't help you on the 2019 models and you may have trouble getting a good sample as not that many are out there yet.

Based on our experience I'd say go for it. good coach and good company.

Tom
Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
We have exactly 1.7 miles on our 2019 Dutch Star 4369 since picking it up at the dealer, but we have been staying in it for the past couple of weeks. We came from a Tiffin Phaeton and really had good luck with it, but wanted a different floor plan and better insulation. We also wanted a tag, and really weren't excited about any of the tag floor plans from Tiffin.

So far (knock on wood) the only issue we have found is the exterior Bose sound bar has a bad connection to the dash radio.

Since our permanent home is in upstate NY I don't think I would have another coach without the heated floors. I would also reconsider your not wanting the stainless along the bottom of the coach. Yes, it looks good and adds the bling factor, but I am also looking at it protecting the bottom of the cargo doors from rocks, etc.

I like the MCD shades, but this is the first time we have had a motorized shade package so we haven't experienced the problems (and hopefully never will)

I am not convinced the sanicon was a good idea yet, but that is a known problem on this site and so far it is working ok.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonk64 View Post

So far (knock on wood) the only issue we have found is the exterior Bose sound bar has a bad connection to the dash radio.
We thought we also had a loose connection. We inquired while in Nappanee last week. They confirmed what NeilC told us - the Bose sound bar is a "passive" one. It needs an amplifier. The little whisper you hear even at full volume is as good as it gets!

The service adviser said we were the first he's heard to complain about it. I guess nobody uses it? We wanted to have the same music playing inside and out. Guess we'll be shopping for a new sound bar.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and input so far!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We thought we also had a loose connection. We inquired while in Nappanee last week. They confirmed what NeilC told us - the Bose sound bar is a "passive" one. It needs an amplifier. The little whisper you hear even at full volume is as good as it gets!

The service adviser said we were the first he's heard to complain about it. I guess nobody uses it? We wanted to have the same music playing inside and out. Guess we'll be shopping for a new sound bar.
It's astonishing to me that Newmar would install a sound bar that they know doesn't work as intended. That's awful.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:

Is the outside sound bar the same as inside?

So why does it work inside but not outside?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Sorry for the hijack!

I haven't searched yet, so I am not familiar with Neil's issue. We get a loud hum and very faint radio. TV sound is fine on the soundbar. Thanks, I will look for that thread.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmghmg View Post
Hi Everyone,

We've been in an Allegro Bus since early 2015, and we travel with our three kids about four months each year. We've had great luck with our Bus, but it's time for a bunk model coach. At least that way, two of the kids will have their own bunks. To us, the Dutch Star 4326 is the best combination of quality, floor plan, and manufacturer reputation. We had been looking for an Entegra Cornerstone (used), but we have decided that a bunk model is a requirement. And, the Dutch Star price point is comfortable for us, even when bought new. We've never owned a new coach, so this will be a first!

We toured two 2019 Dutch Stars yesterday, and we've put together a tentative build sheet. We want SIMPLE on this coach - no powered MCD shades (we've had lots of shade motor failures), no heated floors, no chrome package, etc. Our favorite places to travel are Alaska and BC, so we just don't want an overly complex coach. If we can reduce complexity, we will be doing it by avoiding certain options. But, we want a good quality machine like the Dutch Star.

My questions for the tremendously wise folks on this form are:

1. Are there any major concerns with the 2019 Dutch Stars that I should be aware of? Are the 2019's coming off the line mostly trouble-free, or can I expect to spend the first two years doing nothing but fixing problems? We will be doing a factory delivery, so I hope to address all the bugs before we leave the factory. (I just got a quote from the dealer this morning for $4,500 for factory delivery. Ouch.)

2. Are there any special order items that I really should think about? For example, I just realized last night that the vent that's built into the convection/microwave doesn't vent outside the coach, so I'm adding that to my order. I was very surprised that this wasn't standard. Is there anything else like this I need to be aware of?

3. What's the consensus on the new digital dash? I've seen a few posts about them rebooting, but how many people are having trouble with them? Just a few? Most?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have. We are thrilled to be joining the Newmar family!

Matt
Hopefully the ceiling lights are better quality. We have several flickering and a couple completely dead. Tank sensors have been erratic. You can find posts here about both issues.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

We have a new 2019 DSDP 4369 with 3000 miles. We have the MCD shades and many other options that could cause issues. The coach is working flawlessly. As for the outside BOSE speaker, there is a setting on the inside radio that switches power from the inside to the outside. Once we discovered that it worked great.
David
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
We have a new 2019 DSDP 4369 with 3000 miles. We have the MCD shades and many other options that could cause issues. The coach is working flawlessly. As for the outside BOSE speaker, there is a setting on the inside radio that switches power from the inside to the outside. Once we discovered that it worked great.
David
That's wonderful to hear!
Old 10-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ordering a 2019 Dutch Star 4326. Any Concerns?

We went your same route 2 years ago. Had a Tiffin Red bunk house & wanted more space so we made the move to Newmar & had a 2017 4310 DS built. Now 2 years later & 15,000 miles we have had next to zero issues since build. In regards to features I would re-think the heated floors. We live in FL most the year but did get the heated floors & use them more than we thought we ever would. They are great & we have been able to keep coach comfortably heated down to mid 30’s just with floors. In regards to MCD shades we have the remote powered ones & only in the last month had we only had 1 that had an issue. They are very convenient to be able to control entire coach at one time.

Two years in our only possible regret is not getting the 4326 instead our 4310 as we really do wish we had the king bed in bedroom & we rarely use the front shower. We have 3 kids ourselves & really wish Newmar would re-introduce a triple bunk.

Any questions along the way feel free to reach out to me and I’ll give you any & all input we’ve run across. We have loved the switch to Newmar!

Side note- I have a list of specials I would do next if you want some input I can send it to you. Also highly recommend going to factory to see it being built. My family couldn’t make it so I went up alone & thought it was very worthwhile!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

Picking up our 2019 4369 in December. Currently we’re in a 2012 Ventana. I know you want to keep your new coach “simple”, but I have two words...floor heater. We’ve been in coaches without them, i.e., the one we have now, and we’ve been in coaches with them. With them is MUCH better.
CrewsAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
We went your same route 2 years ago. Had a Tiffin Red bunk house & wanted more space so we made the move to Newmar & had a 2017 4310 DS built. Now 2 years later & 15,000 miles we have had next to zero issues since build. In regards to features I would re-think the heated floors. We live in FL most the year but did get the heated floors & use them more than we thought we ever would. They are great & we have been able to keep coach comfortably heated down to mid 30’s just with floors. In regards to MCD shades we have the remote powered ones & only in the last month had we only had 1 that had an issue. They are very convenient to be able to control entire coach at one time.

Two years in our only possible regret is not getting the 4326 instead our 4310 as we really do wish we had the king bed in bedroom & we rarely use the front shower. We have 3 kids ourselves & really wish Newmar would re-introduce a triple bunk.

Any questions along the way feel free to reach out to me and I’ll give you any & all input we’ve run across. We have loved the switch to Newmar!

Side note- I have a list of specials I would do next if you want some input I can send it to you. Also highly recommend going to factory to see it being built. My family couldn’t make it so I went up alone & thought it was very worthwhile!
Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Great information and advice. Thank you! I would love to see that list of specials. I'm finalizing our build sheet this weekend. And thanks for the advice about a factory visit. That would be a BLAST for us all!

Matt

Tags
dutch star