Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ordering a Baystar/ Additional Clear Coating?

Still in the process of ordering our Baystar and I have another question, we were asked if we want to add clear coating for an additional $4000.

We've heard that Newmar has excellent quality paint on all of their coaches, therefore we didn't think that should be necessary. I would imagine there are plenty of coaches that get purchased off the lot without clear coating. How does their paint hold up?

Can I please get some feed back with those experienced with having it and those not?

We've chosen the Sterling Colors which is the lighter grey and Blue. Ours will be car-ported year round. We're in California Elements.

We're new at this, our 1st motor home, we'd appreciate input from you folks that are experienced. Thanks!
Kewpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In the past, that was always denied. In prior years, their "Masterpiece" paint job started at the Mountain Air level. My 2014 DS had very little clear on it. I said I wouldn't buy another Newmar product until they upped the paint work. Somewhere around 2017 (I think) they brought the Masterpiece paint job down to the Dutch Star level. When we ordered our 2019 DS, we went with all light colors. The clear coat is sufficient, but not great. If you look back at any of the Country Coach motor homes, they still look good today, as they had a thick clearcoat.

With all that said, I would want to know how many coats the standard paint job includes and how many extra coats you get for $4K.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every Newmar coach is decorated by our full-paint Masterpiece

This is a quote from Newmar’s website???
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
Every Newmar coach is decorated by our full-paint Masterpiece

This is a quote from Newmar’s website???
My 2019 BSS is at the very bottom of the line a d it has Masterpiece paint. Or so says the build sheet.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

If it were me I’d get the extra clear coat and tell them not to put on the Dura Shield. Mine came from the factory looking like garbage. After having it replaced twice (once had to have the grill repainted) and it still not great, I just let it go. And as many, starting to get the mold around the edges.

As far as paint, all good except just about all of the storage bay door trim have paint “bubbles”/corrosion. Not so much a Masterpiece!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote