Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Ordering new VT process

We had been planning to price shop for a new Ventana 4369 and buying something sitting on a lot. But after reading so much here, we may order one and take delivery at the factory even though that means a delay. Several questions for the experienced owners here:
If we call the factory, work up an order and then go dealer shopping, have you found that dealers are happy to order under these circumstances? Will the price reflect that the dealer really won't have to do much other than accept the deposit and payment?
Alternately, if we find a dealer with something in their order queue that we like, is it possible to buy that unit and accept delivery at the factory? Could we make changes in the initial order, depending on where the order status is?
To be honest, price is a big deal to us. We're right at the edge of what our budget will accept, and if we can shave something off the price, it's important.
Thanks. We have found this forum is a really good resource in hellping us with our decisions, since we are completely new at this.
JCCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCampbell View Post
We had been planning to price shop for a new Ventana 4369 and buying something sitting on a lot. But after reading so much here, we may order one and take delivery at the factory even though that means a delay. Several questions for the experienced owners here:
If we call the factory, work up an order and then go dealer shopping, have you found that dealers are happy to order under these circumstances? Will the price reflect that the dealer really won't have to do much other than accept the deposit and payment?
Alternately, if we find a dealer with something in their order queue that we like, is it possible to buy that unit and accept delivery at the factory? Could we make changes in the initial order, depending on where the order status is?
To be honest, price is a big deal to us. We're right at the edge of what our budget will accept, and if we can shave something off the price, it's important.
Thanks. We have found this forum is a really good resource in hellping us with our decisions, since we are completely new at this.

Have you read Mike Griffin's blog at Life in the Slow Lane: Our Basic Order

Mike has done a great job documenting the purchase of their 2016 Dutch Star.

Many owners on this forum have done well with shopping their order with different dealers. If you havn't already, I suggest getting a Newmar order/MSRP sheet from Newmar dealer resources and support | Newmar . It doesn't hurt to get prices from several dealers. I also know several owners that got a good deal from their local dealers. I have personally found dealers are more likely to deal on price when there is high confidence the buyer is serious and not just kicking tires. So many variables effect price negotiations from day to day and dealer to dealer. Should you find a coach that has been ordered but not yet into production, Newmar will allow some changes and "specials". Once the unit is scheduled for production and commitments made to suppliers, some changes could be more difficult to achieve. I would think factory delivery would be available for a coach that has not been scheduled for shipping, but you could end up waiting to get a slot in the factory delivery schedule.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the link to the "Build Sheet"

http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content.../VTDP43692.pdf

If you download that document...you can edit the options list to find the MSRP of your Coach before specials...

Next...Contact as many dealers as you are comfortable communicating with to see if they are interested in bidding on your build list. I found all of the dealers that I contacted were extremely professional and willing to give me a quote.

I then selected the dealer with the best offer on the Build Sheet.

Next...you submit proposed SPECIALS to your dealer...and they will in turn run them thru Newmar. They will be able to break down what the cost will be and run this by you for your approval.

If you are going to do a custom paint color selection or interior decorating changes...thenI believe making an appointment to meet with Michelle Howard at Newmar is the best way to go. She has all the samples there to make the selection process easier...and she is the one that writes these SPECIALS.

This is my impression of how it works. I saw a couple at Building 7 trying to write specials BEFORE they found a dealer...and they where getting frustrated. Newmar does not figure MSRP on specials. They only provide your dealer with, dealer cost...and they give you a price based on that. As a Buyer...we're looking at Discount from MSRP....but the dealers are looking at markup from Dealer Cost.

It all works out. If you start your specials soon after agreeing to purchase the coach...a I think you have time to work out the details. There is a huge backlog. If the dealer offers an existing build slot....it's possible that the build is already set..and no further changes will be accepted. There is still the possibility that the service center can do some of these changes, for a price, during your Customer Pick-up...and I've seem a post or two where the Service Center even made a few installations prior to the customers coming to Nappanee for their Pick-up.

Best of luck!!! Enjoy the journey. I hope you build the coach of your dreams....
Old 10-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

OK, thanks, that answers most of my questions. I don't think we would have too much to add to standard equipment choices, other than perhaps a change of standard colors, and maybe an addition of surge protector and/or an autoformer, maybe a cell phone signal booster. I was confused about whom we would talk to about those first, dealer or factory. So you have cleared that up.
JCCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look through the NEWMAR CORP sticky will have many answers for you, good luck in your purchase.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote