Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #1

Ouch !!!

We were going up I95 in Georgia, in the middle lane, trucks on the right lane, cars in the left lane and the truck up in front of us throws a tire. I had no where to go and hit it. When I got a chance, I got over to the right shoulder to inspect the damage. I figured the body work would have been in bad shape. When I looked at it, all seemed fine. We got back in an continued our travels. A couple hours later, I pull over for a break and was thinking about the genset exhaust. I looked underneath, it was totally gone ... even the hangers ! It could have been worse, this should be an easy fix.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Another Alligator retread tire and the truck just kept on trucking. Glad it was not any worse.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Community Administrator

I had the same thing happen. My 01 Winn. Chieftain had the propane tanks behind the dual wheels on the passenger side. The regulator was unprotected and was torn off. I pulled over as soon as I could and found the regulator dragging on the floor and all the propane had leaked out. That was almost a disaster. We also got lucky.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #4

Next time you are in a truck stop look at the condition of the trailer tires on the rigs. I will bet that every trailer you look at has at least two bald tires. At least that is my "scientific" survey.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You're lucky that was all the damage your incurred. It's amazing how many semis lose a tire and have no idea it happened. Maybe they all should be required to have TPMS on their rigs. Yeah like that's gonna happen.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

A good friend hit the dead carcass of a semi tire that had blown and tore her SUV up. From the radiator back was damaged. It was amazing that it didn't cause her to lose control and wreck. Those tires are so dangerous and IMO, shouldn't be allowed to be used.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

What (if any) is the liability for the Trucking company and or Owner Operator, in situations like these?
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
What (if any) is the liability for the Trucking company and or Owner Operator, in situations like these?
None
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Actually, IF you could identify and PROVE who's tire it was, they might be fully liable for any damage they caused. On the other hand, if it's fully visible for some distance (far enough ahead to see and avoid it), you could be deemed to share in the liability.

Rarely are you next to, or immediately behind, a truck when a tire blows (I was once, I thought a bomb had gone off, the carcass flew over the roof of the car I was in missing it and the windshield by inches). Even more rare for the offender to stop.

Good luck.

This also reminds me of an incident that happened to us on I90, going east toward home after a week in the Black Hills. We had been herded into a single lane due to construction and out from under the rig in front of us popped a large section of an auto exhaust system (obviously not dropped by the big rig in front of us), I was unable to avoid driving over it and I watched it pop out from behind our motorhome in my rear view monitor and go under our toad. At our first opportunity I pulled off and stopped to fully inspect the toad, sure I'd find damage, relieved to find none. I never noticed it had ripped a 6" long tear in the sidewall of one of our inside duals until the shop I took it into for regular service called me...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
PanJH - Glad to hear that's the only thing that happened. Remember to check all the fluids on the genny, just in case.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
You're lucky that was all the damage your incurred. It's amazing how many semis lose a tire and have no idea it happened. Maybe they all should be required to have TPMS on their rigs. Yeah like that's gonna happen.
A TPMS wouldn't give any warning of a cap been thrown. Caps can be thrown with a fully inflated tire.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #12

We live 1.3 miles by the way the crow fly's from Interstate 64, and approximately 3 times a week day or night off in the distance we hear a truck tire explode. When we hear one blow, our favorite saying is "Oops, there goes another rubber tree ...". (for you younger people that was part of a song from Old Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra. )

If we hear 3 tires blow per week on a very short stretch or road by our house, just imagine how many there are out there on the interstate systems. There are a LOT of tires becoming gators out there people. So be vewy vewy careful out there.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #13

This is my worst nightmare when a simi truck cuts back in front of me on the interstate and could blow a tire. It hasn't happened to me yet, thank God!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote