Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 01:44 AM   #1

Our Maiden Voyage-So Many Things To Do!

Took our first trip last week to the KOA in Townsend, TN. Great folks and great place to camp! I thought I had all the bugs worked out but I worked on something about everyday we were there. The night before we left I discovered that the chassis batteries would not hold a charge so I bought 2 new ones. The headlight switch is bad and when I tried to adjust the dimmer it got hot and now my cruise control won't work + the engine temp. gauge floats all over the place erratically. I check the temp. with a laser thermometer and it runs about 187 F so it's the gauge. The ground fault attached to my 50 amp cord melted and I had to replace the plug Thursday morning due to no power. Then the toilet valve started leaking so I replaced it as well only to find that it also leaks around the base/flange area. Replaced several bulbs that burned out. Ice maker line started leaking when I turned it on-going to move it to the basement to get more room upstairs. On return trip home noticed that alternator had quit working, which is probably what killed my chassis batteries, along with no a/c from the dash. Other than that we had a GREAT time going to Cades Cove, Tuckaleechee Caverns and to my parents for Thanksgiving over in Knoxville. We are already planning moving/adding furniture/improvements to personalize our coach to make it better for us in the future. Oh I almost forgot- CUPHOLDERS, got to install some cup holders before the next trip!
Dlciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 05:31 AM   #2

Just curious, what is the make, year, and model of your RV?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Just curious, what is the make, year, and model of your RV?
Thinking the same...following
Old 12-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
1997 Dutch Star according to his Info...
Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
, Welcome to the forum, Diciman
Before you get carried away and tear everything apart you need to read a few things that are in this link that will help you for your battery charging system, slide and operation of appliances.
QT's 1 & 2 will have many items in your coach because of its age.
You need to fill in your signature using the CP location, so we know what type coach, Ford gas or because its 38' you say, maybe a DP?? - Brochure == 1998 DP has more info that you need, that 97 didn't have -- Owners Guide for DP??
Enjoy the forum and safe travels when you do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #6

Sorry about that! We bought a 1997 38' Dutch Star DP back in August and this was our first trip. We purchased it from my In-law's estate upon their passing. It had not been on the road for 3 years so I had to do a lot of maintenance and cleaning to get it road worthy again. I have read just about every one of the QT's #1 and #2 007 and I would not have been able to accomplish the things I have done without them. For my In-laws the coach is perfectly laid out for 2 people. We have 2 college kids that will be traveling with us so we are looking at options for more sleeping possibilities and storage. It runs and drives better than I imagined and we drove ~550 miles on 50 gallons of fuel. That's a lot better than I had imagined we would get! My biggest fear is tackling the dash wiring issue. From what I've seen looking up at it from the floor I'm just going to have to find a wiring diagram and check components/wires one at a time until I find the problem. Do any wiring diagrams exist of the dash area? Or anywhere else for that matter?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wiring diagrams can be found in the batteries, BIRD, WIRING AND FUSING LINK of the big link.
People with older MH's have used it gives you a idea of different wiring for items you may have in coach, scroll down in link.
You will find wiring does not change that much in the older MH's not like now with all the electronics and different options to buy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dlciman,
If it's any consolation motor coaches break sitting still! Lack of use not abuse is the curse of a motor coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Dlciman,
If it's any consolation motor coaches break sitting still! Lack of use not abuse is the curse of a motor coach.
Two things that RVs have in common with aircraft:
1. They break more when sitting than they do when moving.
2. If you have to work on it, it will be difficult to get to the item that needs attention.

There may be more but these quickly come to mind.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:40 AM   #10

Webz as an airline technician for the last 24 years I have to agree with you 100% on both those accounts!
Thanks 007 for the tip on the wiring diagrams, I have a feeling I'll be needing those shortly.
Gary I agree that letting one sit is worse than abuse. Ours sat for nearly 3 years with only an occasional start up to keep oil pumped through the veins of engine and genset. I have covered the maintenance to get it up and running but still need to find and lubricate all the chassis fittings. I wish I was retired to have more time to work on it but then I would not have the funding to make the necessary repairs. I'll get there it just may take me a little longer than I planned. Thanks for all the insight and tips!

Tags
voyage