Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a quick link to Newmar dealers. You will find it with a lot more info in the bottom sticky just above.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #142

Thank you.
Once you gave me that, I could go and find it myself.
Now I have a couple hours work ahead of me.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #143

Rear Bumper Loadings

My 5th wheel came with the 4" welded steel bumper. The factory mounted the spare wheel and tire in the center of that bumper. Since it is a 235 85R16 tire, it probably weighs about 75-80#.
What I would like to do, is move the spare wheel off to one side of the bumper, next to where the bumper support is welded to one of the frame rails, and add a Swagman bike rack in the center of the bumper. Total weight I am adding for the rack and my aluminum framed bike, is about 20#.

Anyone think that might be too much load for the bumper?

I asked the question of Newmar, but they have not yet replied (over a week ago). Not like I have a warranty to worry about is it?

I also asked Newmar what would be the maximum loading I could add to the bumper, since that would be a good location to add a bumper hitch, and carry my BBQ back there (less propane tank of course).

Again no answer. Any thoughts anyone?

Sheff.

2012 3500 Dodge dually
Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #144

Check for Factory Receiver

Sheff,

Check with Newmar to see if a receiver hitch was available as an option. We were able to purchase the frame mounted 1-1/4" receiver bar for our Mountain Aire. The Swagman rack works great.

If that does not work you might try something like this Curt 12105 Trailer Hitch - 1-1/4" receiver, Class 2 frame mounted hitch.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M View Post
Sheff,

Check with Newmar to see if a receiver hitch was available as an option. We were able to purchase the frame mounted 1-1/4" receiver bar for our Mountain Aire. The Swagman rack works great.

If that does not work you might try something like this Curt 12105 Trailer Hitch - 1-1/4" receiver, Class 2 frame mounted hitch.
Thanks, unfortunately, I can't get a reply from Newmar by email, so I guess I'll have to try by phone.
I did ask other questions of Newmar that I didn't put in the post (because it was getting too long), one of them was can I add a frame hitch, and how much weight could I put on it.
I do like that Curt Hitch.

My other option if Newmar don't want to answer, is to weld the hitch receiver to the pin box at the front. That might be more elegant. I know the pin can take the extra weight, I have no bedroom slideout.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #146

Bump
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M View Post
Bump
That bump didn't last long. I was despairing of finding us again.

Haven't talked to Newmar since, but they still haven't replied. Not a nice sign.

Just got back to the NE from SW Florida. BRRRRR. 85F down to barely 50F?

My short list for the new trailer is now:
Newmar
NuWa
Excel
Carriage
Not necessarily in that order.

Have checked the underside of some of the new Newmar slideouts. Not impressed. Seen a couple of 2006 and 2007s where the slides have leaked water, and the floors were already rotting and falling down.

Anyone else seen that?

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #148

When I was at the Newmar factory earlier this year, they had mostly 5th being made. Considering the number of Newmar products that were at the factory for work to be done, virtually all were class A. Don't really understand the logic of a class A. Hasn't anyone heard that Obama is killing the RV industry? When the market dries up I would rather be holding a 5th than a class A - less money to loose.
bertany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertany View Post
... Hasn't anyone heard that Obama is killing the RV industry? ...
HUH? Maybe you could blame him the next time you get lost as well!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #150

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertany View Post
Hasn't anyone heard that Obama is killing the RV industry? When the market dries up I would rather be holding a 5th than a class A - less money to loose.
I'm sorry, Bertany, I do not understand this either. Could you elaborate?

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome bertany to the Newmar 5th wheelers group.
Lets not turn this thread into something political its not allowed.
Newmar has picked up in production and it has nothing to do with anyone but people wanting a Newmar whether a 5th or a DP or gas.
If we stick to subject in hand it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff69 View Post
Have checked the underside of some of the new Newmar slideouts. Not impressed. Seen a couple of 2006 and 2007s where the slides have leaked water, and the floors were already rotting and falling down.

Anyone else seen that?

Sheff
One of the slides on our 2008 was inadequately sealed and leaked water from the very beginning. When we first went to the dealer to pick up the trailer, which we had factory ordered, the carpet in the main living area looked like someone had thrown a bucket of dirty water on it.

The dealer replaced the carpet (under warranty of course) before we took delivery of the trailer, but failed to diagnose and fix the cause of the leak. While we were on our maiden voyage, the leak contined to soak our brand new carpet (which we had upgraded at our expense when they replaced the factory brand carpet).

Fortunately, we were driving right through Elkhart, and made a stop at the factory. They fit us into their service schedule the next morning and imediately diagnosed and fixed the problem - an inadequaely sealed slide out. We haven't had a problem with it since.

However, they also had installed the wrong type of slide out rollers on two of our slide outs, which has caused additional problems for us. Although they have replaced the rollers (during 2 separate factory trips) I'm pretty sure that we still have incorrect brackets installed that hold the rollers on one of the slide outs since we continue to get black marks on the carpet - I thought it was grease, but now believe it is caused by black paint that is on the brackets. So far we've been able to clean it off the carpet whenever we notice it.

In spite of this, I'm still a big Newmar fan and would buy another in a heartbeat (I just wish they were still making the Kounty Aire, which is what we have.)

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the information John, will have to check those metal strips bottom sidewalls of slides when I start resealing my 7 year old seams. Didn't think of them while slide is retracted.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #154

Our '05 Mountain Aire seems to be pretty watertight. We have been living in it for four months now and been through a few pretty heavy rainstorms with no sign of any leakage.

Tags
5th wheel, newmar