Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #1

Outdoor Camp Stoves

Looking for suggestions on camp stoves. Anybody have one they can highly recommend?
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

I use a Camp Chef, Yukon 60 I think. This is a two burner, 30k BTUs each, has removable legs, portable but not too light. These stoves are great, once you cook on these 30k burners you'll love them. We are spending the winter in Florida and cook outside weather permitting. Keeps all the smells outside, especially sautéing fish.

I own two of these stoves, one stays home on deck, the other stays in the motorhome.

Francis
canyon453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I actually carry a three burner Coleman stove that operates off of white or unleaded gas. I think my being partial to Coleman stoves goes back to my memories when I was very young and camping with my parents who also had a three burner Coleman stove. This stove is very easy to use and never fails to operate. They are very safe since they have been making them for many, many, years.

I also have a very inexpensive ($35) Coleman "oven" that is really a steel box with a door and a thermostat in the front. It sits on top of one of the stove burners and can be used to bake any number of things that fit in a roughly 12x12x12" space.

The only down side of the Coleman stove is I have to carry the Coleman fuel which comes in a metal gallon can that you can buy almost anywhere including Walmart.
millerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a selection of stoves of one of our sponsors plus access to work off your LP tank.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon453 View Post
I use a Camp Chef, Yukon 60 I think. This is a two burner, 30k BTUs each, has removable legs, portable but not too light. These stoves are great, once you cook on these 30k burners you'll love them. We are spending the winter in Florida and cook outside weather permitting. Keeps all the smells outside, especially sautéing fish.

I own two of these stoves, one stays home on deck, the other stays in the motorhome.

Francis
We've been using the Camp Chef with the 2 30K BTU burners for 15 years and it's great, we've rebuilt and repainted it at least 3 times, it's great for a 3 gallon seafood boil with all of that heat, When we add the " grill boxes" for cooking steaks etc, it also does pretty good. We just bought a new TEC Cherokee Infra Red grill. 32 pounds, table top unit. Been cooking some steaks and burgers here at the S&B and we're sold on this thing, no flareups ( the burner is under a glass plate) and the most moist steaks we've ever cooked. There are some great youtube videos on this line of grills. It's a bit pricey but we're going to use it at home and on the road.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
camp chef love it and it stores easy too
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
x3 on the Camp Chef. Plumbed into the coach LP tank with 20' hose and quick disconnect. Love it.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take the dimensions (H,L,W) of where you plan to store it, then go shopping.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

Camp Chef Explorer. I was in Dicks Sporting Goods two days ago with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket when I saw the stove with a price tag of $99 (regular price). I had been looking at them on line going for anywhere between $124 and $160. It was easy to set up and quick to get water to boil in a big pot. I'm still looking for a griddle to put on it. Their website sells then for $75 but that is to much. Might just get a big frying pan. I have been using one of those little propane camp stoves but they take forever to boil water and fry bacon. I go through a lot of little green tanks as well. I am also looking for a smaller tank than the common 20lb tank. I think they are called peanut tanks.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I am also looking for a smaller tank than the common 20lb tank. I think they are called peanut tanks.
Denis, Not sure if they are called peanut tanks but I'll go with that. Not sure you will be happy with the peanut tank. You may not get a large flame for a large frying pan, the tank is so small that it may not produce very good pressure for the size of these burners.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #11

In our class B we use a portable LP Coleman, it has a single burner with a fairly large griddle next to it. It is perfect for us as it folds nice and the 1 lb. bottles last quite a long time for two people.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door